Must wake up alot without knowing

[Ma...]

Last Night I took Less then a half a dose of Nyquil, at 3am till 10:30am don't recall much but all day Im yawning and have a ton of fatigue.....Obviously either I get stage 2 or less sleep or I wake up many times without knowing, 7 hours should give good sleep!

Whats Odd is By Night time I am more awake, then even after sleep I ask myself why bother sleeping, I felt better before I did

I have similar experiences. I do not always know if I slept or not so do not know if I was awake a lot or less. Nowadays I have paper and pen close to me and I write down time when I go to bed and when I wake up in order to understand how much I sleep. I also feel not so tired despite of the small amount of sleep. Strange!

no mine is the opposite, I feel tired even though I slept long like I thought!.....I was wider awake last night before bed I get up and feel worse

Mark and Thomas66

Mark, it looks like you are not on a "regular" sleep pattern?  Most people sleep between 8:00 pm and 7:00 am unless they are on some type of shift work?  Sleeping between 3:00 am to 10:30 am is fine if that is going to be your "regular" sleep hours all the time.  I would try to get in a habit of going to bed and getting out of bed at the same time.  Not because it will help your sleep now, but it will eventually condition your body and mind to say that 10:00 pm (for example) is when I go to sleep and 7:00 am is when I get out of bed.

I started doing that before I was able to get any real sleep and it helped a lot.  I typically go to bed right around 9:00 pm and get out of bed by 5:30 am almost every day even if I don't sleep that entire time and I usually don't.  You need to pick what those hours would be for you.  There are always exceptions though.  Sometimes I get really tired and fall asleep as early as 7:00 pm.  I then get up and go to bed.  Other times I am wide awake at 3:00 am but I just lay there until 5:30 am.  Sometimes I fall back to sleep, sometimes I don't.

Do you remember any dreams when you sleep? Many people, including myself, get hit with REM rebound once we start to sleep regularly.  I have lots of dreams every night that I remember and actually like all the dreams as I know I am sleeping.  You can't tell if you make it into deep sleep as nothing happens during that phase that you would remember, although it is the most restorative form of sleep.

Usually sleepers pass through five stages: 1, 2, 3, 4 and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. These stages progress cyclically from 1 through REM then begin again with stage 1. A complete sleep cycle takes an average of 90 to 110 minutes, with each stage lasting between 5 to 15 minutes. The first sleep cycles each night have relatively short REM sleeps and long periods of deep sleep but later in the night, REM periods lengthen and deep sleep time decreases.

A sleep cycle refers to the period of time it takes for an individual to progress through the stages of sleep outlined above. One does not go straight from deep sleep to REM sleep, however. Rather, a sleep cycle progress through the stages of non-REM sleep from light to deep sleep, then reverse back from deep sleep to light sleep, ending with time in REM sleep before starting over in light sleep again. For example, the order looks something like this:

Stage 1 (light sleep) – Stage 2 (light sleep) – Stage 3 (deep sleep) – Stage 2 (light sleep) – Stage 1 (light sleep) – REM Sleep

After REM sleep, the individual returns to stage 1 of light sleep and begins a new cycle. As the night progresses, individuals spend increasingly more time in REM sleep and correspondingly less time in deep sleep.

The amount of time you spend in each stage also depends on your age.

Infants spend almost 50% of their time in REM sleep. Adults spend nearly half of sleep time in stage 2, about 20% in REM and the other 30% is divided between the other three stages. Older adults spend progressively less time in REM sleep.

You don't feel refreshed right now even after you sleep as you probably are not getting much deep or REM sleep right now?  As you said, you are probably in stage 1 and 2 light sleep most of the time?  But that will change as you get more back-to-back nights of sleep and start getting some deep sleep along with REM sleep.  It just takes a long time for our brains to figure out how to heal our benzo damaged Gaba receptors.

You are more awake at night for two reasons:  1) your sleep schedule says you should be awake until 3:00 am  2) Your Benzo damaged Gaba receptors are not working much or at all and Glutamate is ruling the day and night making you active and alert.  That's why even on little or no sleep you might not feel tired.

You will both get past this.  Sleep will return, but most likely not on your timeline or when you want it to return.  Give it more time.  Most people don't really start to notice much improvement with sleep until at least month 6?  Some not until month 12, 18 or 24 and some longer.  It will happen.  Hang in there! :thumbsup:

Thanks Theway2,  your explanation expanded my understanding about sleep. I can also confirm I do already the same as I go to bed always at 9.00 pm and get up at 5.00 am staying in the bed even if I do jot sleep. Ok sometimes I go to couch and watch dull TV program in ordr to fall back to sleep. My dreams started quite quick after I jumped and were very visible in M1-M2 and nowadays it is stabilized so I think my sleep stages normalizes slowly despite I have issues I described in my earlier post.

Time is in our side! 😊😊😊

Well last night was a bad one for me, barley no sleep...I did have some Spicy Hot Dorritos and Drank some Mountian dew before bed, not sure that has anything to do with why I didnt sleep but maybe it did, Maybe slept 1 hour then I was back up, 2 more hours I tried to sleep again but My Cough still bothered me

Also odd last night was the first time I didnt have ANy Nyquil but I tried some Robatussin DM, which is non Drowsy, also probably another reason I didnt sleep

So its true for me, no nyquil = no sleep

Well last night was a bad one for me, barley no sleep...I did have some Spicy Hot Dorritos and Drank some Mountian dew before bed, not sure that has anything to do with why I didnt sleep but maybe it did, Maybe slept 1 hour then I was back up, 2 more hours I tried to sleep again but My Cough still bothered me

Also odd last night was the first time I didnt have ANy Nyquil but I tried some Robatussin DM, which is non Drowsy, also probably another reason I didnt sleep

So its true for me, no nyquil = no sleep

Doritos have MSG.  MonoSodium Glutamate.  Glutamate makes you active and alert, especially with your fragile Central Nervous System.  Mountain Dew has caffeine which also keeps you awake.  I would not play around with MSG or Caffeine this early in your WD.  Some people can tolerate it, but if you can't, I would avoid it.  Also, for you to say you can't sleep without nyquil is only setting yourself up for failure.  Because you are consciously and subconsciously conditioning yourself that you need something in order to sleep.  I would avoid that negative thinking.

It is a long road to sleep recovery.  I am almost 20 months off and got about 5-6 hours of broken sleep last night.  I woke up at least 5 times.  However, I can live a completely normal life on that amount of sleep.  You will get there too.  Eating healthy really helps speed up your recovery.  Doritos and Dew are terrible for your health even if you weren't going through withdrawal.  There is a very good book I just bought off Amazon for $16 called "Food:  What the Heck Should I Eat?" by Mark Hyman, MD.  His recommendations for what to eat flies in the face of what we have been told is "healthy."  Worth every penny.

I didn't think that anyone did not know that Mountain Dew was packed with caffeine and that caffeine is a stimulant that is not to be taken at bedtime. If you didn't know that, you do now. If you know that, it is time for you to take responsibility for yourself and make better decisions. There are enough people on this site who are doing all the right things and still having problems. Those are the folks that have my sympathy.

whatever aloha, I always drank stuff around bedtime like that, why the hell it would just start now who knows, before my sleep problems I drank pop and slept sometimes 10 hours at a time

Its ok if you don't have sympathy for me, hardly anyone does...especially God

Mark, you just said that eating and drinking this stuff before bedtime never caused issues before you had sleep problems, but now you are having sleep problems. Don't you think that you have to make some changes since you are not now in the same condition as you were in the past? Since you referenced God, I would ask you to remember the saying that states that God helps those who help themselves.

yep and since 2014 when this started Ive asked for help and have been GETTING Hel, So I have been helping myself alot, and of course dont help

whatever aloha, I always drank stuff around bedtime like that, why the hell it would just start now who knows, before my sleep problems I drank pop and slept sometimes 10 hours at a time

Its ok if you don't have sympathy for me, hardly anyone does...especially God

Mark, I don't think this whole WD thing is setting in for you?  You are just over 3 months off of a reinstatement of 1mg of Ativan that you took for another 3 months.  Sleep is highly unlikely to return for you after only being off for 3 months after a reinstatement.  What you took before WD does NOT apply now.  I could drink soda before I went to sleep 2+ years ago too, but can't do that now.  I tried caffeine a few times and it messed up my sleep.  I am a lot further out than you are.  You have to make lifestyle changes and stop acting like you were somehow dealt an unfair hand.  Your insomnia is not unique or different than anyone else that got off Benzos.  God is not messing with you or being unsympathetic.  You just don't seem to take any advice anyone offers or you repeat the same things over and over as if you never heard a response to your initial post that asked the same exact thing.  People are trying their best to help you get through your WD by sharing with you what works for most people.

I know where you are coming from.  I cried out for help too.  I just wanted to hear that this whole WD thing would get better.  I somehow thought I was the only one that had this "severe" of WD and mine was a "unique" case that would never heal.  Others had it far worse than I did.  I recovered, they did too.  You will too, but being negative and repeatedly complaining about the same thing over and over isn't going to help.  ACCEPTANCE is key to your recovery, but is only something you can do when you are ready for it.  But either way, you are going to have to endure insomnia for X amount of time regardless of what your attitude is. 

People like Aloha have a lot of wisdom to offer and have endured this WD much longer than you.  Aloha and anyone else that posts here doesn't have to be here. They are here out of the kindness of their heart.  They don't like to see others suffer alone.  Please keep that in mind. 

In withdrawal, our tolerances change significantly.

In the past, your body might have been able to take relatively big impacts (such as caffeine late at night), and slept fine anyway. Although, chances are you may not have realised how well you might otherwise have slept.

In withdrawal, getting sleep is a delicate process and small factors can have a profound impact.

It's a different state, where the same actions have different results.

I've optimised everything around sleep - black out blinds, ear plugs, sleep hygiene, etc. And removed every factor that would interfere. All these small changes add up to giving you the best chance at quality rest. The same quantity of sleep can be vastly different in quality.

Doing the same would give you the best chance at healing too. Adopting new habits is about aligning our actions with the goal of healing and of having kindness towards oneself so we don't add unnecessary suffering.

If there's something small or large that we're not doing to aid our healing and recovery, then it makes no sense to complain, since a degree of it still remains within our control.

All the best mark, Mr Eggplant

thing is you all were on stronger stuff and alot longer, Mine was maybe 2 years 3 months of ativan at 1mg, aloha was on 10mg for 10 years it says in her description.....

Sure I took some other stuff but they were not long enough to cause dependance like the ativan

to me my healing should have happened before I relapsed, 11 months things should have improved yet did not

thing is you all were on stronger stuff and alot longer, Mine was maybe 2 years 3 months of ativan at 1mg, aloha was on 10mg for 10 years it says in her description.....

Sure I took some other stuff but they were not long enough to cause dependance like the ativan

to me my healing should have happened before I relapsed, 11 months things should have improved yet did not

This thread is about your sleep, right ? :thumbsup:  :-\

[*]What have you tried so far to improve your sleep?

[*]What haven't you tried?

Watch this. It has a lot of ideas;

By the sounds of things, you can immediately get sleep improvement by eliminating caffeine and junk food. As well as potentially going to bed earlier in alignment with your bodies circadian rhythm.

Eggplant out

Mark,  Ambien is a Z class drug (hypnotic) and 10mg is about as potent as 1mg of Ativan.  It is not stronger than Ativan.  Plus Aloha said he took it a few times per week as needed for 10+ years, not every night for 10+ years.  I was only on benzos for 3 months and now I am almost 20 months off and I am still not completely healed with sleeping.  The fact that you didn't recover in 11 months is PROOF that 11 months wasn't long enough for you to heal or it would have happened!  How can you say your healing SHOULD have happened?  It didn't!  Others need a lot longer than 11 months to get their sleep back or heal from their other symptoms. 

The amount of time you were on a benzo does NOT equal how long it will take to recover.  Some on this site took a lot more Benzos than you and recovered in less than 11 months.  Still others took way less Benzos than you and took years to recover.  Again, you are not comprehending what is being told to you based on what others experienced.

The "to me" statement is only wishful thinking.  It carries no actual weight.  I could say "to me, the sky should be green" and when it isn't green complain that something is wrong.  Mark, I am trying to help and so are others, but you are making it difficult for anyone to help you.

I will leave you with this regarding your thought that God doesn't care about you:

Why do bad things happen to good people? The biblical answer is there are no “good” people. In Mark 10:18, Jesus said that only God is good. Because God is good, He will see to it that justice is done on the Day of Judgment. If He gave each of us justice right now, every one of us would end up in a terrible place called the Lake of Fire, and we would deserve it. God is the standard of righteousness, and all of us have fallen short of that standard, so there really aren’t “good” people that “bad” things happen to.

A better question is this: “Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people?” With reasons known only to God, He demonstrated His own love for us in that “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” In spite of our evil, wicked, sinful nature, God still loves us. He loved us enough to die to take the penalty for our sins when He was crucified on the cross.

Often things happen to us that we simply cannot understand--such as Benzo WD. Instead of doubting God’s goodness in times of suffering during your WD, you should trust Him. We should all echo the words of Job: “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.” The book of Job shows us that God is trustworthy, even when we don’t understand the suffering around us.

Why do bad things happen to good people? That only happened once…and He volunteered.

Answer me this, there is no Good people correct, you mean all the Innocent little children that don't even know who God is that have terminal cancer and infants that die before they turn 1 are evil?

Mark,

I don't want this post to digress from its purpose regarding insomnia.  Of course those under the age of understanding between right and wrong won't be held accountable.  The previous post was directed at people that understand the difference between right and wrong and then somehow blame God when things go wrong in their life.  The "Why do bad things happen to good people" if there is a God question.  You can learn more at this site:  www.goodpersontest.com

They have spirituality or Christian thread on this site that you can participate in to. :thumbsup:

Well all I know is Caffiene is not causing me to not sleep, I was off of it 3 days now and yet last niht I woke up 4 times at least

Well all I know is Caffiene is not causing me to not sleep, I was off of it 3 days now and yet last niht I woke up 4 times at least

Mark,

Huge difference between waking up and not sleeping. I woke up about 5 times last night and it is not related to anything other than WD.  That's just how it works.  As your sleep comes back, you sleep but wake up a lot.  I still wake up a lot at almost 20 months off, but last night was able to quickly fall back to sleep each time and ended up with about 8 hours of sleep. :thumbsup:

And even if you quit caffeine for 3 days, and had a night of poor or no sleep, that doesn't mean that the caffeine isn't affecting you.  3 days off of caffeine is not enough time to tell if it is doing anything to your sleep.  Also caffeine can still affect some people for up to 12 hours after they ingest it. As others have said, and I am saying too, your best bet is to AVOID anything that might affect your sleep (caffeine, MSG, Alcohol, etc.) until you have been off of the Benzos for a much longer period of time.  Give your body what it needs to help heal and recover.  Avoiding junk food would really help everyone's health, not just those going through WD and those that can't sleep!

Mark,

You don't seem to be ready to listen to advice from those who have been there and done that. Maybe you just need to vent right now and that is okay. There is a venting thread in the off-topic section that you might want to visit.

ok Aloha, sure Ill do that....so I quit again for 3 and a half months, if I came back in a year still suffering are you gunna say its still WD?! I bet you will and a year after that as well

Mark,

What answer are you fishing for?  So you want to be told your insomnia is NOT WD related?  That's what it seems like?  But ask yourself this question, when did your sleep get really bad?  When the Ativan quit working and you stopped taking it...right?  You didn't have insomnia your entire life cause you said you used to drink soda and sleep 10 hours a night. 

What is not sinking in is that Benzos are the "But for" cause of you having sleep issues now.  "But for" you taking Ativan, you would not be going through WD related insomnia.  The Ativan messed up your Gabba receptors and now your body is trying to heal them.  But you took Ativan again for 3 months and messed them up some more.  Now your body is still trying to repair the damage done from the first and 2nd round of Benzo use.

Like me, you thought you had SFI.  You thought that was causing your insomnia when the whole time it was WD insomnia.  Now you seem to want to argue that it "doesn't take 11 months to heal from WD insomnia."  Really?  Read some of the success stories on this forum.  Most are at 18 months, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, etc. before they write a success story.  That doesn't mean it takes that long for your insomnia to improve.  It usually doesn't.  It usually gets a lot better (livable) before that. 

Mark, your WD insomnia is unique to you. It doesn't matter how much you took or for how long, or whether or not you believe it was a high dose or not, or whether you think it doesn't take X amount of time to heal or not.  The bottom line is, your body will need X amount of time to recover and NO ONE knows how long that will be.  Not me, not Aloha, not anyone on this site and not you either.

So one year or two years from now, if you are still not sleeping the way you would like to, what do you want to hear from someone on this site or a doctor or anyone else as to why you are still not sleeping?  That you have SFI cause WD insomnia doesn't last that long?  Or you just have regular old non-Benzo related insomnia because WD insomnia doesn't last that long?  Or you don't eat well or exercise and that's why you don't sleep the way you would like to cause WD insomnia doesn't last that long? 

As I said before, regardless of what you believe or don't believe about your WD related insomnia, it is what it is and will end when it ends no matter what you or anyone else says or doesn't say.  Also, couldn't help but notice you are once again mocking God under your avatar with your Personal Text.  I would be careful with that too as God cannot be mocked, each person will reap what they sow!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Well, we all have some kind of sleep baseline at the moment and as we are withdrawing benzos it most probably effects our current baseline in a way our current sleep is less and more broken than what it was pre benzo. We do not know when it improves and we need to live with the sleep what we have nowadays what ever it is and all improvements come as a gift for us. For me has helped total surrender  so I sleep what I sleep but do not want to think about it too much anymore. I have already got a gift as my sleep amount has lengthen about couple of hours a night during the last 4 months. I totally agree with Theway, that it might take 1-4 years to improve my baseline to close to the level my slepe was before benzo. Well, need to do all minor things we can do to allow good sleep and allow more sleep to come when it comes.

well last night I was in bed from 2am till 11am and woke up at least 5 times so again I still feel very crappy, some of the times I woke up I feel like I didnt even go back to sleep....yeesh!