Piriformis/sciatic pain help

[Ma...]

Not sure how to deal with this. It started a week or two ago but went away after a few days but now it’s back and it's pretty bad. I'm terrified by the severity. I asked my dad to find the number of a chiropractor that he saw a few times because I am afraid. I got sciatic pain once several years ago and it lasted several days.

It just feels like it is one thing after the other with these injuries I face and they hinder my recovery. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sometimes I freak out and will start smoking after not being able to exercise after a certain amount of time. I can't let that happen to me again because I don't feel like I have a lot of fight in me. I kept imagining how I would feel if I crossed over to pregabalin from gabapentin...with some oxycodone along with phenibut or baclofen. This is how my brain thinks because I can't deal with pain. Pain makes me so depressed it's scary. It makes me feel confused too and kind of drunk/sedated/impaired....I can't explain it. Does anyone else get depression like this?

Ok. In the mean time how do I deal with this pain? Should I rest? I think it's the piriformis muscle because I limp all the time because of my toe and it's screwing with my balance. I'm thinking maybe it tightness the muscle because my buttocks hurts the most. The other day I had the most terrifying pain and numbness all through out the entire sciatic nerve. Everything was affected...lower back, left buttocks and left leg to bottom of my foot. It was intense. It felt like my life was over. I did work out at the gym the day it acted up a few days ago. I pushed myself harder than usual but lifted smart by not using too much weight but I’m worried my back may be involved here. Because I tried doing a few pull ups today and some stretches where you bend over and try to touch the toes and now my lower back feels soar.

I haven’t given up yet as far as trying to keep staying healthy but I just feel like I need to take my life back. It was lost and I need to find my way out of this. I need to keep tapering and moving forward. I hope someone can tell me what to do here. I’m not a bad person. I wish I was a better one but I don’t deserve to die.

Mamoot, what you are describing happened to me out of the blue during my taper. It scared me to death. I had x-rays, an MRI . . . they showed nothing broken, dislocated. The pain was on the left side of my tailbone and into my butt (piriformis). It hurt like he**.

My doc thought sciatica, but I disagreed with that. I have had 2 back surgeries to release the sciatic nerve and pain afterwards and it didn't feel like that. My doc prescribed Nucyinta (an opiate) but I didn't want to take it. I ended up using marijuana but that fogged me up so badly I stopped. I only used it late in the afternoon when I didn't have to go anywhere but it didn't seem to me like a good long-term solution. The mj DID help the pain, however, and some at nighttime did help me sleep. Fortunately the acute period of pain passed.

Oh, ibuprofen didn't even touch the pain.

I finally saw a physical therapist and I have been working with her for about a year. She works on trigger points in my muscles and after she releases them, the pain is a whole lot less. I have stretching exercises to do as well.

Have you thought about seeing a PT? Apparently this problem is pretty common. My advice is to do a little interview with them on the phone to make sure they are familiar with piriformis/tailbone pain and how to treat it.

I would say that my, ahem, backside is about 75% better. But I still have pain. Maybe I always will.

Benzos . . . the gift that keeps on giving.

Hope you get relief.

Katz

I went to a chiropractor. I never seen a chiropractor before. Turns out I have some type of arthritis in my lower spine based from the X-ray along with bone spurs. Now I know why I've had lower back pain for all these years I guess. It always made it hard to meditate and I have to use a meditation cushion. I hope that I can fix this. He said it's not super bad or anything but he said I'm pretty young to have that and he asked if I was injured or played sports 12-15 years ago. Thanks to benzos I can't remember how I hurt my back at this point in time. My ilium in the pelvic region was crooked too on the left side where I've been limping these past 2 months because of my busted right toe. He has this k laser therapy thing there that is supposed to help a lot. He told me that he can help my toe heal with it.  He is friends with my dad too so I can trust him to be honest with me. I just need my dad to float the bill though. I'm feel ashamed to ask but I feel like it's for the best. He did an adjustment on me already. I'm pretty soar in the lower back but I feel next to no sciatic pain right now. I've only been having issues with sciatic pain for a few days so I'm hoping I caught this early. This chiropractor is like a one stop shop though. I need to try that laser out. It looks quite effective. I hope he can fix my spinal health and assist me heal from the benzos and gabapentinoids damage. I didn't sleep since yesterday because my sleep schedule is off. I woke up at 8:30pm last night....that was when I started my morning...I was so out of it at the chiropractor that I couldn't really speak too well. It was embarrassing. I had to tell him I have cognitive impairment from benzo wd. I told him all my symptoms too hoping he can save me from this nightmare. I can't believe how crooked my hip bone was in the X-ray just from limping for a few months.

My lower back is really soar from the adjustment. Sciatica is better but the lower back pain wasn’t there like this before I went in. Is it supposed to hurt when you first start going to a chiropractor? I don’t know if I should go there this morning now.

I have a the second appointment today in less than two hours. Still not sure if I should go after reading some cautionary posts on spine health forum. These people do not trust chiropractors and dismiss them. Some people seem to do worse after going. I don't want to end up hurt. I slept about 5 hours but forced myself back to sleep after taking my morning dose of meds. I slept another 5 hours. The soreness is better and the pain seems to have mostly gone but it was pretty intense. I thought I was damaged trying to fall asleep last night. Trying to figure out if people who took benzos should be cautious with chiropractors too since we are sensitive.

I only have less than a few hours. Should I postpone the appointment and see how I feel tomorrow before considering going back?

I have a the second appointment today in less than two hours. Still not sure if I should go after reading some cautionary posts on spine health forum. These people do not trust chiropractors and dismiss them. Some people seem to do worse after going. I don't want to end up hurt. I slept about 5 hours but forced myself back to sleep after taking my morning dose of meds. I slept another 5 hours. The soreness is better and the pain seems to have mostly gone but it was pretty intense. I thought I was damaged trying to fall asleep last night. Trying to figure out if people who took benzos should be cautious with chiropractors too since we are sensitive.

I only have less than a few hours. Should I postpone the appointment and see how I feel tomorrow before considering going back?

Mammoth, I have been to chiro many times and you will be sore.  Because you have been in pain, you hold your body differently and it causes your muscles to tense.  I wouldn't give up after one time.  There really is no way of knowing how much he can help.  Benzo's love muscles, and may cause you to have pain again. I am no Dr, this is just my experience.  You of course should do what is comfortable to you :)

I had sciatica and piraformis/lower back issues caused by withdrawal at separate times. I went to physical therapy for both. During the visits they helped me with different exercises and stretches. I used these exercises at home also. Both times it went away in several weeks. There are also exercises online for this.

Becky  :smitten:

Thanks everyone. I've been going to the chiropractor. I think it has been helping and I'm recovering from the soreness better. He has a K-laser that he has been using on my back, butt, and also my jacked up toe. I just started the k-laser therapy. All this stuff is becoming expensive though. I want to buy a bad ass level 4 cold laser so I can used it on myself but I don't have thousands of dollars right now. If I did I would buy one.

• 5 weeks later...

I had surgery for severe sciatica that lead to near paralysis in 2001.

Since withdrawal the pain has been bad and my piriformis is solid.

I recently started  accupuncture which is the first thing that has helped in months.

It hurts like hell to have done because he basically electrocutes me but it does work.