Downsides to taking melatonin? Does extended release work?

[su...]

Have buddies experienced any significant downsides to taking melatonin?  About 1.5 years ago, before my taper started, I had a several month stretch of severe insomnia.  I started taking 3 mg of melatonin a bedtime and it did help me to fall asleep.  I'm tapering now, and considering taking melatonin again.  I fall asleep fine, probably due to my Remeron.  But I wake up at 3:00 am and 5:00 am every morning.  I usually fall asleep again at 3:00, although it is restless.  At 5:00, I'm up for good.  I think my bedtime dose of Valium or the Remeron is wearing off in the night.  I noticed that Amazon carries several extended release melatonin's.  Any thoughts on good brands, or # of mg's in the extended release version?

I found that taking melatonin sometimes works and sometime doesn't, but I never took it along with meds. I actually think that it only helps you sleep if you probably would have anyway. It really isn't strong enough to overcome medication induced insomnia. The downside might be from taking it too often (like any sleep aid). I took time-released melatonin last night and slept pretty good, but I have been off meds for almost 34 months now, although I still have sleep issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with not taking it for long.  Was told that taking for brief periods at low doses can be helpful, but to take breaks from it.  Keeping it at a low dose is the best, too.  Just one more thing to become dependent on.  Be careful.  But if really needed, then go for it!