HOW MUCH ALCOHOL DO I NEED FOR SOLVENT?

[ho...]

im reading varying amounts of alcohol needed to dissolve. do i need 2 mls of 80 proof vodka per mg? so if im liquifying 5 mgs i need 10 mls? so if i decide to make 5 days worth i need 50 mls of alcohol? to get a concentration of .1 mg/ml i need 50 mls of liquid supposedly. so for 5 days i would need 200 mls water and 50 mls vodka? that seems like a lot of vodka. thank you

im reading varying amounts of alcohol needed to dissolve. do i need 2 mls of 80 proof vodka per mg? so if im liquifying 5 mgs i need 10 mls? so if i decide to make 5 days worth i need 50 mls of alcohol? to get a concentration of .1 mg/ml i need 50 mls of liquid supposedly. so for 5 days i would need 200 mls water and 50 mls vodka? that seems like a lot of vodka. thank you

2ml of 80 proof per tablet

1ml of 190 proof per tablet

oh per tablet? Oh ok I thought it was mg according to jouybans chart. Thank you!

oh per tablet? Oh ok I thought it was mg according to jouybans chart. Thank you!

You are correct.  The solubility ratios refers to mgs of benzo per ml of alcohol.

For V, Jouyban et.al. determined that with a 40% solution (80 proof vodka) 1mg requires 1.4ml.  But remember, that was determined under lab conditions, using lab pure solvents, Ph controlled liquids, standard temps, etc.  So under perfect conditions, at least 1.4mg is required, so the general recommendations for "home brew" is stick to 1mg:2ml to be on the safe side.

You are correct.  The solubility ratios refers to mgs of benzo per ml of alcohol.

For V, Jouyban et.al. determined that with a 40% solution (80 proof vodka) 1mg requires 1.4ml.  But remember, that was determined under lab conditions, using lab pure solvents, Ph controlled liquids, standard temps, etc.  So under perfect conditions, at least 1.4mg is required, so the general recommendations for "home brew" is stick to 1mg:2ml to be on the safe side.

I thought that's what the chart said. Thank you.

For those who do not want to use this volume of alcohol I would recommend to use

& combine this is a suspension vehicle like Ora-plus. I have read where many use so much water to dilute with inappropriate amounts of alcohol. This is just another option to provide a viable solution/ suspension.

"For those who do not want to use this volume of alcohol I would recommend..."

Propylene glycol! 

For folks that have an alcohol sensitivity, PG is an excellent alternative.  It usually matches or exceeds the solubility ratios of alcohol.

While its true that folks have successfully tapered using methods that are not completely supported by basic physical sciences/medical realities, it is also true that many folks can discontinue benzos with no real rigorous or structured plan.  Just because someone was successful with a method does NOT mean it "worked".

So if someone believes they  are sensitive to the withdrawal process, it would seem to me they would want to choose a protocol that has the greatest probablilty of bringing success.

Using a true, uniformly distributed solution with proven solvents and proven solubility ratios will give the greatest likelihood of success.

You can reduce the amount of alcohol that you consume by getting a second prescription of 2 mg diazepam tablets and consuming liquid for only the last fraction of a mg that you take each day. For example, if you are at 10mg per day and want to reduce to 9.75 mg you would take one 5 mg tablet, two 2 mg tablets 7.5 ml of the 0.1 mg/ml solution. You can use this method to do a daily micro taper.

You can reduce the amount of alcohol that you consume by getting a second prescription of 2 mg diazepam tablets and consuming liquid for only the last fraction of a mg that you take each day. For example, if you are at 10mg per day and want to reduce to 9.75 mg you would take one 5 mg tablet, two 2 mg tablets 7.5 ml of the 0.1 mg/ml solution. You can use this method to do a daily micro taper.

This is how I tapered ..the "combo"  :thumbsup:

"For those who do not want to use this volume of alcohol I would recommend..."

Propylene glycol! 

For folks that have an alcohol sensitivity, PG is an excellent alternative.  It usually matches or exceeds the solubility ratios of alcohol.

While its true that folks have successfully tapered using methods that are not completely supported by basic physical sciences/medical realities, it is also true that many folks can discontinue benzos with no real rigorous or structured plan.  Just because someone was successful with a method does NOT mean it "worked".

So if someone believes they are sensitive to the withdrawal process, it would seem to me they would want to choose a protocol that has the greatest probablity of bringing success.

Using a true, uniformly distributed solution with proven solvents and proven solubility ratios will give the greatest likelihood of success.

This post pertains to ANYONE who uses Propylene glycol as a solvent.

I often see many folks on this forum using Propylene glycol as a solvent for their "Home brew". Propylene Glycol is an excellent solvent when used in accordance with FDA Guidelines for Propylene Glycol  and Propylene Glycol Alginate. However, when this substance is used inappropriately it has the potential to create an adverse reaction. I am conveying this information to inform those who use PG as a solvent to take the necessary precautions to produce a safe & viable solution while minimizing the potential for an adverse reaction. Awareness & following these FDA guidelines should make the "Home brew" solution safe & viable for a liquid taper. This post is not to scare or discourage anyone from using Propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is "generally recognized as safe"

“Propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) additive for foods and medications. Propylene glycol rarely causes toxic effects, and then only under very unusual circumstances."

Environmental Health & Medicine Education

If this substance is handled inappropriately or used in excess there is the potential for an adverse reaction. Even tho Propylene Glycol Toxicity is rare, it does exist & people should be informed of the possibility of a negative reaction especially those who have certain pre existing health conditions.

Clinical Presentation:

Although the toxicity of propylene glycol is low, if excessively large amounts are absorbed, the following health effects may be seen

an elevated osmolal gap,

severe metabolic acidosis (caused by the metabolism of propylene glycol to lactic acid), and

coma, seizures, and hypoglycemia (rarely, among patients who ingested large amounts of propylene glycol over several days).

Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry

Caution would be advised when using/preparing a solution using PG as a solvent to those who may have the following conditions:

Increased sensitivity (Reprotext 2004) may be seen in people with pre-existing

skin conditions

eye conditions

(possibly) allergic conditions

FDA Guidelines for  Proprolene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Alginate to be used "As an emulsifier, stabilizer, or thickener in fats and oils at a level not to exceed 1.1 percent by weight of the finished product"

This is from another source:

According to the World Health Organization, the acceptable dietary intake of Propylene glycol is 25 mg of propylene glycol for every kilogram (kg) of body weight.

Agency for Toxic Substance & Disease Registry

This translates into: 150lb person can safely consumer 93mgs by weight of Propylene glycol

When you prepare your solution with Propylene Glycol it would be wise to prepare it in accordance to FDA guidelines & not exceed the recommended amount of 1.1% by weight or 25 mg of propylene glycol for every kilogram (kg) of body weight. Also, take care to use the appropriate precautions when handling this substance.

Roxane Labs/West Pharmaceuticals uses PG as the solvent base for both their Rx liquid diazepam and their Rx liquid lorazepam products. 

PG and alcohol are  the most widely used pharma solvent for both Rx and OTC formulations.

Every benzo taper protocol has shortcomings, but any sensible procedure based on readily available information is probably better than continuing to take benzos.