Benzo Success Post on FB

[Gr...]

I saw this post on a benzo Facebook group tonight and wanted to share it with you all.  May it encourage you as it did me...

"Shared

‘Good morning. A friend who recently recovered has written to tell me it's over. She was very protracted and for a long time stopped expecting recovery. Every time we were in touch, I would remind her of the impermanence of withdrawal and I would confidently tell her she was going to get better. At times, on her worst days, I could hear the annoyance in her voice, then hesitation, whenever I'd say the symptoms would pass. It's a familiar quiet or heavy, charged silence that I have come to know over the years. 🙂 I always smile to myself when I recognise it because I know the time will come when I will receive that "it's over" email or phone call.

Well, my friend's has arrived and for her, it's wonderful. For me, it's a joy to read and a reminder of why I do this. This is what she wrote:

"I made it!! I made it to the other side. The akathisia, head pressure, terror, sensitivities, nerve pain, all that awful stuff with my stomach and back, and the crazy paranoia, those nasty thoughts, OCD and other mental stuff left Bay. When we spoke last spring I felt I was going to die. I don't know if you remember but I told you I was getting worse instead of better. By August the symptoms were gone. Nothing is left Bay nothing. When you get to the end, you're not sure if it's the end. You're scared to say it is the end. Then you find out it's the end. No more waves. Bay, you were right. I am over the moon, thrilled to bits. I survived the worst experience and it is an amazing feeling. Thanks for everything. God bless."

If you woke up today with persisting symptoms, just remember that your day will come. This lady was one of the worst cases I have seen. She made it. You will too. So don't lose heart. Your time is coming. Remember, like you, she endured the terrifying nightmare of withdrawal and made it to recovery. Easier times lie ahead. Keep holding on.

Sending healing thoughts and wishes,

Baylissa’"

Do you know how many years she was out?

Thank you for this!! I'm about giving up myself. This seems to go on forever...

Do you know how many years she was out?

Thank you for this!! I'm about giving up myself. This seems to go on forever...

I have no idea how long she was out. All I know is what was in this post, but it was such good news! This process does seem to go on forever - it's SOOOOOOOOOOO slow sometimes, almost imperceptible. So I need the occasional reminder that it will end and this was just what I needed to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Grandma D -

Thank you for sharing this.  It's what I needed to hear today.  :smitten:

God bless you and your friend.

Angel

You are all very welcome. I needed to see this again too. This journey is so difficult sometimes, we need all the encouragement we can get to hang on to!

:smitten:

Thanks Grandma D,

It would be helpful if we knew the recovery time.  It’s been 5 years for me with no end in sight.  Perhaps this would be better posted in the Success Stories?  Just a thought...