help with ashton taper plan

[pj...]

i will be seeing a new pdoc next month and want to take with an old taper chart i used in the past when i was polydeugged and tapered but i also want to take with me some info from the ashton method i just have some questions.... if i am taking .25mg 3x a day of xanax  where do i start on the substitution to valium. if my new doc is against it im planning on doing 10% cuts directly to the xanax.

also i remember seeing someone post something about why to use valium due to being able to make smaller cuts? if the doc won’t go for that i assume klonopin is better than xanax?

If you havent tried tapering xanax directly yet, I would start there. Some people have no trouble tapering directly and then you dont have to mess with the crossover. If you do decide to cross over, I would start with transitioning the evening dose.

The first step (keep for 1-2 weeks) could be:

morning 0.25 mg X, afternoon 0.25 mg X, evening 0.125 mg X and 2.5 mg valium.

You could see how you feel there, and then gradually replace 0.125 mg chunks of X with 2.5 mg of V. You might be able to replace with 2 mg of V due to its longer half life and sometimes greater sedative properties. Then you have less to taper when done with crossing over.

I do think it is better to try a direct, gradual taper first as it will save you time overall if you can do it.

Hi PJA,

I can see why you would want to do a crossover schedule and JustKeepSwimming's idea seems a good start for that.

One of many of Dr. Ashton's reasoning for crossing over to Valium is that Valium is available in 2mg tablets which are much more easily cut when reaching small dosage compared to trying to slither off a tiny portion of Xanax. She also reasons  (and I can really relate) the other advantage of crossing over to Valium from Xanax is "The slow elimination of diazepam allows a smooth, gradual fall in blood level, allowing the body to adjust slowly to a decreasing concentration of the benzodiazepines. " Whereas she notes with Xanax "are eliminated fairly rapidly with the result that concentrations fluctuate with peaks and troughs between each dose. It is necessary to take the tablets several times a day and many people experience a "mini-withdrawal", sometimes a craving, between each dose." The long acting Valium allows you to take it much less frequently once you have adjusted.

Although many have successfully crossed over directly from Xanax, many have real issues too trying, especially once they get down to small cuts (shavings). It is however a personal choice of course.

One tip I can offer is to go well prepared to convince your Pdoc that you are not only confident and committed but well informed. Take a copy of the relevant parts of the Ashton manual to back up your knowledge. It worked really well for me, as my doctor then wanted a copy to keep so she could help other patients too.

I wish you luck and hope you can find a solution soon. :thumbsup:

Harmonee

i will be seeing a new pdoc next month and want to take with an old taper chart i used in the past when i was polydeugged and tapered but i also want to take with me some info from the ashton method i just have some questions.... if i am taking .25mg 3x a day of xanax  where do i start on the substitution to valium. if my new doc is against it im planning on doing 10% cuts directly to the xanax.