Taper plan reasonable?

[Ir...]

Direct switch from Xanax to Klonopin. Currently on 1.5mg. Was told I'm cutting too fast. Does this seem more reasonable?

Jump

Direct switch from Xanax to Klonopin. Currently on 1.5mg. Was told I'm cutting too fast. Does this seem more reasonable?

Jump

Hey Iris01-

I read through your sig & posts to get a good pic of your benzo history. The majority of folks can get off these meds with manageable symptoms & heal quickly. I see you are a long term user only increasing your dose recently. It is fair to say that you are able to taper quickly because of recent increase in dosage. Once you hit "baseline" (thinking your baseline is 1.5mg - 2mg) you may feel a increase in symptoms. (that heartbeat in ear thing you describe along with imbalance issues is a good indicator that you may have reached your baseline)

Reducing .125 is reasonable if you can tolerate any symptoms you may feel. You may have to cut your reduction to .0625 if symptoms become unmanageable down the line. One thing about Klonopin is that it can take several days to feel the full effects of a cut due to the longer half life. So just continue to cut as you are physically able paying close attention to signs you may be going to fast, then act accordingly.  :thumbsup:

Hi Bella Amis, thanks so much for the reply. I hadn't thought about cutting a .125 in half so thank you. I am experiencing higher anxiety, and I did have trouble falling asleep. It's hard because I really want to be done with these drugs but I'm seeing now it's important not to rush it. The Trazodone causes some unpleasant side affects, so I'm slowly cutting back on that too.

I'm thinking of faxing a copy of the Ashton Manual and my taper plan to my physician ahead of my appt with her at the end of the month.

It's only an outline; I realize I can't specify how long I'll hold at each dose, and I'll let my body tell me

Thanks again for replying. Have a wonderful weekend.

Hey there-

You are welcome...as much as we want off these drugs asap it is important not to rush. That would probably be advantageous to share a copy of Ashton manual & your taper plan prior to your next appointment.

You have a great weekend as well!