All things being equal, is it better to make tiny daily cuts or weekly cuts?

[Mr...]

Very curious about this. Wondering if anyone has either researched it or collected anecdotal data from successful withdrawals on this forum.

Say, for example there are 2 options for starting dose 100mg.

The person can cut using two methods:

[*]5% per week in jumps of 0.71% per day

[*]5% per week in jumps of 5% per week

Which would be preferable?

I think there are a few arguments for either side. For example, a daily taper means the nervous system only has to adjust to a very small daily drop in blood concentration. Then again, it also means that levels vary/reduce every day, which might mean that the nervous system does not have time to stabilize on any particular dose. Whereas with the weekly cuts, there are bigger reductions, but a week is permitted for any adaptations/stabilization to happen.

I'm wondering which is generally seen as the preferred method, based on experience here and research?

Warm regards,

Mr Eggplant aka "doc egg" aka "mr scissors" aka "milky mcslurp" 

A series of tiny cuts is definitely more tolerable.  The body will not be nearly as shocked by 10 X 1% daily cuts as it would be a single 10% cut.

The idea of small daily cuts is it more nearly matches the rate of reduction to the body's rate of recovery.

MrEggplant,  I was really struggling with the larger one time cuts.  So we decided to titrate the smaller daily cuts and I have done so much better.  Now I do take hold days every few days just to be careful because I had gotten myself in a bad place a couple of times and believe me, slow doesn't sound so bad then.  As I get more confident I will go alitte faster.  But, I'm with Builder, tiny daily cuts , not weekly.  Good luck...let us know how you are doing :)

• 1 month later...

My answer is hybrid.  I take Xanax 3X/day - every 8 hours to the minute.  I am in my second day of an 8% cut, bringing my total cut to 50%.  I have has some SXS starting as much as 2.5 hours before the next dose.  But, they are tolerable usually.  I have a few tricks that get me through it, and that's key for me.

I kind of like the cut to a new level approach because after a few days of struggle, the final week i feel relatively normal.

But, reading as I have most of the day, I understand that the last third of a tapering process can be the toughest part.  Up until now, I've been doing 8-10% straight line cuts every 14 days or so.  I think I will cut at a smaller rate for the next taper, then when I get around 25-30% left, I will probably do .5%/day until I can jump.