Anxiety surge from caffeine

[He...]

I’ve been doing really well with staying off of caffeine since the beginning of the year.  I’ve had a couple of cups of decaf and maybe three or four sodas over the past two months.  Yesterday I had one cup of coffee at home and a couple of hours later felt very restless and anxious.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Yes, it seems that some people's nervous systems is very sensitive during taper and post taper even with foods, drinks that we had not issue before. However, caffeine is something I could never over do. Since my GAD diagnosis i tried to stop it with much success. I don't even miss it anymore. This is also true for all caffeinated foods. I had some chocolate the other night after a long time and it totally messed me up. It is best to avoid all things with caffeine for awhile and try to reintroduce them gradually.

I had some chocolate the other night after a long time and it totally messed me up. It is best to avoid all things with caffeine for awhile and try to reintroduce them gradually.

I genuinely didn't know there is caffeine in chocolate. I can easily tell when I've had caffeine but not sure if I've noticed it from chocolate but this could explain times when I've felt revved up and never knew why. I've been eating chocolate in the late evening recently as well.

Chocolate has caffeine in small quantities. If your system is super sensitive like mine, it will wire you up; especially at night. My problem is that when I am very anxious, I tend to overeat sweets (I am working on this). I truly need to practice 'mindfulness' when it comes to food and alcohol. I am keeping a journal because I truly need to conquer this demon. I am afraid of diabetes and all kind of processed sugars is very bad for you anyway. It contributes to inflammation and reflux. So it is best to quit or eat it sparingly and in moderation.

Chocolate has caffeine in small quantities. If your system is super sensitive like mine, it will wire you up; especially at night. My problem is that when I am very anxious, I tend to overeat sweets (I am working on this). I truly need to practice 'mindfulness' when it comes to food and alcohol. I am keeping a journal because I truly need to conquer this demon. I am afraid of diabetes and all kind of processed sugars is very bad for you anyway. It contributes to inflammation and reflux. So it is best to quit or eat it sparingly and in moderation.

You are not alone, I am the exact same. Been binge eating too many sweetie foods due to anxiety recently. Never had this kind of urge to eat, especially at night as I am. A journal is a good idea. I am thinking of doing a food journal soon, to see if I can start ruling certain foods out :)

I did read up on caffeine in chocolate and it is trace amount, more in some and less in others which I realised I would also be consuming a lot of sugar if I was consuming high amounts of chocolate lol. Very good point you made though, if we are more sensitive then it's more noticeable to us than the ordinary person.

• 2 years later...

I didn't want to start a new topic since this one is appropriate, I have the same question.

Does anyone else suffering from anxiety still use caffeine, without it amplifying the anxiety? I have been avoiding it just based on the idea that it might amp up my anxiety.. but honestly I miss this part of my morning routine, and I miss the "productivity boost" it gave me to start my mornings strong.

I would never touch caffeine after 12pm of course.

Low doses of caffeine are in the range of 50 to 200 milligrams (mg). Consuming more than 400 mg at once may lead to feeling overstimulated and anxious, and bring on symptoms such as racing heart, nausea or abdominal pain.

Hmm.

8 ounces of decaf coffee contains 3–12 mg

8 ounces of plain black coffee contains 102–200 mg

8 ounces of espresso contains 240–720 mg

8 ounces of black tea contains 25–110 mg

8 ounces of green tea contains 30–50 mg

8 ounces of yerba mate contains 65–130 mg

12 ounces of soda contains 37–55 mg

12 ounces of energy drinks contain 107–120 mg

Maybe if you don't go nuts and drink, like, 4 cups of black coffee it can be OK?  :P

I'm also very sensitive to caffeine and prone to anxiety in the first place, so I avoid it as much as possible. 

Caffeine is one of many things that bothers some of us and not others. 

Jefferson - Some members do fine drinking coffee.  I would just start with small amounts and see how you do.

I drink lots of black tea and do just fine. The L-Theanine in it has a calming effect so maybe it counteracts the caffeine, idk. I also read that it promotes the production of GABA and counteracts glutamate. Avoid green tea as it loaded with glutamate