Benzo Beauty Woes Tips

[Rx...]

Mirror Mirror on the wall...  Who's got benzo beauty woes tips for us all?...

I'll start...  Exercising pretty much daily pretty hard for quite awhile now to get my body tone back, not to mention for overall health.  It's not happening quickly and I often feel down about it, but I figure all I can do is keep at it.  If I don't exercise daily, I feel so much worse.  Feeling for the buddies unable to exercise whatsoever even if they wanted to.  I've been there too and must remind myself at least I can now. 

Guess this topic thread idea I came up with is so far a flop.  After all, in survival mode days, it's not the highest priority I know.  Oh well.  I'll share a very specific one here anyhow.  I share it because whenever I share it in my real life, most people I know never heard of it.  If they try it, they have told me they are amazed.

When you are too sick to leave your computer desk or go to a salon to get a pedicure, fill a foot basin full of apple cider vinegar.  Don't add water, although you can use bottled diluted apple cider vinegar.  Soak your feet in it as long as you want.  It usually takes at least 20 minutes.  I usually do 20 minutes up to an hour or even longer sometimes.  I find nothing softens and seems to also moisturize rough skin and cuticles better (not even professional pedicures using other methods).  Afterwards, use cuticle stick, trimmers, rough skin sloughing tools as needed.  You can do the same with hands for a manicure likewise.

I've made use of my time on BB this way fairly regularly when I finally reached the point of living beyond survival mode only.

P.S.  Slather Vaseline on your feet or hands afterwards at bedtime or before then don socks or gloves if you want it to be that much more amazing.

Well Rx:

I counted on my routine Pickleball games. They kept my weight down and made me feel better. Now I cannot play due to blistering fatigue which makes me unable to do a lot of things. I sure hope this goes away and I can play again. I am going to try for tomorrow but we'll see what happens. Not a bad OP. :smitten:

Also covering the mirrors helps a lot. :laugh:

Well Rx:

I counted on my routine Pickleball games. They kept my weight down and made me feel better. Now I cannot play due to blistering fatigue which makes me unable to do a lot of things. I sure hope this goes away and I can play again. I am going to try for tomorrow but we'll see what happens. Not a bad OP. :smitten:

Also covering the mirrors helps a lot. :laugh:

I presently still cannot return to exercise myself.  GI issues too severe for now.  However, I can take my own apple cider vinegar pedicure soak advice here while I type on BB.  Continuing to keep you in my prayers, benzogirl.

And yeah, when feeling unattractive and or unhappy about weight, covering mirrors, not to mention boxing up the scale and tape measure is helpful.  I'm laughing at your joke here, but I will admit to crying lots about it too.

:smitten:

I'm getting used to being skinny again (lost 30 lbs due to extreme anxiety and not being able to eat) and don't worry too much about my weight for now (5'11" 150 is quite thin, but not sickly looking).  The hardest part for weight nkwnis the hair loss!  My friend warned me that her hair fell out during withdrawal and I thought, "That won't happen to me.  I habe a ton of hair!"  Until one day in the shower, handfuls came out!!  My husband told me to stop pulling it out.  I wasnt, it just came out in my hands.  Ugh.

Hair loss?  Yes

Weight gain?  Oh Yes.

Accelerated aging about 10 years during 1 year of acute?  Check.

Looking like a bag lady in rumpled clothes, stringy hair, mumbling to myself.  Yep.

Feeling like a bloated toad that has eaten a box of salt?  'Fraid so.

Fingernails broken and split, toenails ragged and white, skin dry as the sahara?  Un Huh.

Do I give a crap about my appearance during one of the worst experiences of my entire life on this planet?

You bet I do.  Just don't think there's much that can be done about it until the storm passes.  I am not overly invested in looking perfect every minute but I do like to present myself well groomed and as attractive as is reasonable.  I can only hope and pray that a bit of the toll this process took on my body is reversible as time goes on.  I am optimistic and so continue to go to the hairdresser for cuts and color, give myself manicures and pedicures, get a bit of exercise and try to not gain any more weight and make an effort even if the results are not optimal.  The alternative of giving up entirely, of sitting down and sliding into decrepitude unchecked is just not an option.

:smitten:

She

Thank you for the input and additional tips, Ch33kyKK, benzogirl, SheWhoMust, and deadwoodgone:smitten:

Re hair loss:  I had a full head of long hair prior, then it came out in my hands too.  It did not reach the balding stage for me, but it was getting pretty darn thinned out.  I used a shampoo called Pura D'Or made specifically for hair loss for awhile.  I'm not saying it did the trick, as maybe another factor/factors made the hair loss stop, but after using it awhile, my hair loss stopped completely.

Re dry skin:  Grape seed oil, olive oil, coconut oil (all oils pre-shower), and slathering on the Vaseline overnight for me.

Re aging:  Using Retin-A Rx for years to stave off wrinkles.  Slathering it on still to combat withdrawal aging.  Also splitting open Vitamin E capsules and applying under eyes pre-shower.

Re sugar scrub as an exfoliant:  It does work!  Even if you have money, I say why pay more or put chemicals on your skin if you don't have to?

Re removing batteries from the scale:  Good one!  Have not thought of that one.  I'm slimming way down via gastritis myself.

Hoping to get some more input and tips from all you benzo beauties out there.  But always remember, the inner beauty always shines through!  Keeping you all in my prayers and best wishes.