G.E.R.D. / Anxiety Problems???

Hey Guys, well I figured that I'd give you an issue that happened last night. Since being benzo free my stomach acid has always been really bad! I've always had a real nervous stomach, but last night I was in soo much pain from acid reflux that I went to the hospital. They took blood, urine, x-ray of chest, and ultrasound of stomach, bladder, gull-bladder, and kidneys. Everything came up negative. No diseases, cancer, kidney stoneys, etc. and I was like great! But my back is still killing me! They gave me something called a G.I. cocktail, and that's when it went all bad. All of a sudden I couldn't feel my lips, my gums, my throat, my tongue, everything went numb. I started to panic, couldn't breathe, adrenaline sky rocketed, and then I started to yell at my nurse. I was like "ma'am what have you done to me! Are you crazy!" She was like if you don't calm down n breathe sir, then I'm going to put you out! Didn't know what she meant by that! So I tried to calm down and catch my breathe. I told her look ya'll have given me my perscription for nexium so I'm leaving. She was like ok, you can go. The whole night afterwords I was shaking, body burning, nausea, dizzyness, and lightheaded. I passed out! I woke up and it was 6 am this morning, I stood up went outside n smoked a cigarrette. I then went back to bed. I woke up at 11am this morning, and I felt absolutely terrible! Right now I feel shaky, swetty, dizzy and anxious. I don't know if anyone has ever had a "G.I. cocktail" but are these affects from it? Or am I just anxious, and jittery from last night still? Thank you for your time.......

Gstamps,

I'm soooo sorry for what you're going through. Not having heard of anything called a GI cocktail, I can't help much, but I can pray for you.

I haven't had anything like that before.  I feel for you.. the benzos have really caused so many people such suffering.

I hope someone will be by with advice soon.

Hang in there!

Hi G,

WOW!  Your experience sounds just awful!!  I am thankful that all your tests came back fine which must be reassuring, but I have no idea what a G.I Cocktail is or why you reacted to it the way you did.  You poor thing...

I hope someone pops in who knows what on earth was in the mixture they gave you...I'm going to Google it and see what I can find.

Hope you feel better soon, hun.

Hi G,

Sorry you had such a bad experience in the ER.  From what I have researched the mixture contains liquid donnatal to stop GI spasms along with Lidocaine and mylanta to counteract the stomach acid.  Lidocaine will numb your mouth, tongue and throat because it is a numbing agent.  It can also cause confusion, nervousness, difficulty with breathing, dizziness and drowsiness amongst other side effects.  Sounds like these meds hit you hard.  Hope you feel better soon.

Patty  xo

a gi cocktail is a mix of an antacid like maalox/ simethicone and and a pain number kinda like cocaine it actually numbs your guts.

as you may know i suffered extreme gi issues huge pain and bloating. i tried everything to no avail. what finally worked was bhi heels gastro cleanse

[it doesnt make you poop it just clears away gas] and when i eat i take 2 country life papaya enzymes right after. other than papaya it has amylase and protese enzymes the amylase breaks down complex carbo sugars and the protese for breaking down the protein since i have been using these no more issues unless i eat to much veggies and when i do the gastro cleanse fixes it. for anxiety skullcap works wonders and doesnt act on benzo receptors[ please google benefits of skullcap]. they give to people coming off booze barbs and benzos for relief of anxiety and it is said to help balance neurotransmitters and releases endorphins plus helps calm digestive disorders. when i am just a little twisted it works great i'm as calm as a kitten but when i have a total meltdown it was unsuccessful.

god speed your healing,billy3

Gstamps,

Like you, I had horrible reflux in withdrawal, and ended up in the ER one night and was given a GI cocktail. The numbing from the lidocaine was very disconcerting, although in my case I knew it was in there so I was more prepared (still freaked me out though). Also the donnatal contains phenobarbital, which affects a lot of the same systems as benzos, so it's entirely conceivable that once it wore off it might leave you with the same types of symptoms as a benzo wearing off. I know the next morning it took me a while to calm down as well.

Archae

• 6 months later...

Okay, now that you are better, you need to go back in and make sure that nurse knows what she did wrong. You never, ever, ever give a conscious patient something without telling them what it will do. That's how lawsuits happen.

I'm not saying you should sue, but she needs to know that giving you a drug, not telling you what it'd do, and then threatening you with a sedative that you could have very well been allergic to is a very bad idea.

I know we aren't supposed to say bad things about doctors and stuff, but the fact that some doctors are incompetent enough to think that benzo sedation (which is what you would have been given) is the answer to everything is part of the reason I don't go to hospitals. If I have a medical problem, I go to doctors I can trust.