Continual state of panic that never ends

[ga...]

Does anyone else have this?  I go to bed and wake up with rapid, shallow breathing accompanied by fear and dread.  It never stops throughout the day.  I also have a foggy headed veil-like feeling that makes me feel disconnected from the world.  Is that derealization?  When I look at the clothes in my closet, it seems as though they belong to someone else...they seem strange to me.  Is that dr?

Also, when I turn my head, it take my eyes/vision a second to catch up...it's like they are lagging.  What is this?

The non-stop panic-like state is nearly unbearable to live with. Does anyone know how long it lasts?  I'm wondering how I can keep functioning, although, I'm barely doing that.  Because of the symptoms I've described, I don't go anywhere much and I'm alone all the time.  I need to be with people, but can't.  I'm afraid it's going to cause some kind of insanity....like people in solitary confinement. 

I had this really horribly during my first two months. It was completely gone in month three. But I felt the same way you did.. I felt like it would eventually cause insanity or psychosis, if I suffered with it for too long.. It didn't happen, it's all just fear your brain is hitting you with. This is as bad as it gets, even though it doesn't feel that way. And I also had the lagged vision, like my brain couldn't process anything at the correct speed. It's horribly tormenting, but it will result in nothing. I promise.

[f4...]

those symptoms you describe im very familiar with. the distortions, dizziness, arghh.

I have am unrelenting tension/anxiety right now, my heart rate is up and its driving me nuts, its accompanied by a panicky feeling and constant fear...i can "feel it" in my chest, its like a physical manifestation of anxiousness.

so many other physical symptoms are starting to loosen up, but this just stepped in and has taken over my world.

[f8...]
I'm going through exactly the same thing you've described and constantly worry that I'll eventually go insane or suffer psychosis as well. I just don't understand how anyone can live so isolated and not suffer do me kind of breakdown. I need to be around people but feel like I can't also. It's really a terrible feeling.

Thanks for responding, LiveAboveIt, Luke Skywalker and FuzzyDunlop!

What are people's experiences in how long this weird feeling lasts?  I'm also wondering if what I described is derealization or something else.

Same, same Gardenlady and yes I thought I was going insane, becoming psychotic who wouldn't, it is so weird.  We're not, it's DR with all of its strange perceptual twists.  Very taxing, and feeling it too.

I can look at something and it looks unfamiliar and strange, altered somehow.  Can relate to what you say about your eyes too, and am so glad you put it out there because I was struggling with it this morning and worried that it will never change.  I'm coming to know that it will, thanks to talking with people here on BB. 

Once I began to accept that it is part of WD it helped with my anxiety, but still very distressing and tiring.  I don't know how long it lasts but I do know it will pass.  Time is on our side. 

Dee

I feel uncomfortable all the time. I don't feel like I'm "myself" anymore. I feel like this weird feeling and thoughts will never go away and I don't know how anyone could continue living like this and not go insane.

Garden,

I can really relate to your post. I've been struggling so bad for over 14 months. ive had horrible anxiety and occasional panic attacks from the beginning. But in early December I was thrown into this extreme anxiety/panic/DR torture chamber. If I'm not in a panic attack I'm right on the verge of one all the time. The threshhold of hell. I'm so sorry you're here with me. My vision has been jacked up since my CT and it makes me feel so dizzy and nauseous. So I get that, too.

Since it's pretty soon after your jump and you tapered I'm hopeful you won't have to suffer too long. But, as you know, there's just no way to predict. Now that you're off benzos you're on the road to recovery. My best advice is to distract as much as you can. It's the only thing that helps. And try to not concentrate on "when will I heal" and focus on one day (hour, minute) at a time. Every day you are that much closer to recovery!

I'm alone and unable to getout, too. We should talk! My best to you.  :smitten:

Does anyone else have this?  I go to bed and wake up with rapid, shallow breathing accompanied by fear and dread.  It never stops throughout the day.  I also have a foggy headed veil-like feeling that makes me feel disconnected from the world.  Is that derealization?  When I look at the clothes in my closet, it seems as though they belong to someone else...they seem strange to me.  Is that dr?

Also, when I turn my head, it take my eyes/vision a second to catch up...it's like they are lagging.  What is this?

The non-stop panic-like state is nearly unbearable to live with. Does anyone know how long it lasts?  I'm wondering how I can keep functioning, although, I'm barely doing that.  Because of the symptoms I've described, I don't go anywhere much and I'm alone all the time.  I need to be with people, but can't.  I'm afraid it's going to cause some kind of insanity....like people in solitary confinement.

wow i can 100% relate, except my eye-lag comes with this weird enhanced vision that i cant seem to get rid of. you won’t go insane, maybe just grow tired of it but it won’t do any harm. we’re heaing right now & we don’t even know it.

Thanks deadwoodgone, pommom, lalasingme and IKnowWhy4!  It's comforting to know that you are experiencing the same disconcerting symptoms, although I'm sorry that we are all in such a bad way.

Is is abnormal that derealization as I described would keep one from going to church and other gatherings?  I quit such activities a few months ago which makes me even more isolated that I already am, but making myself go when I feel like this only makes it worse.  You would think it would help, but it has the opposite effect.  I can't talk to anyone and I feel nothing but anxiety and fear when I venture out.

Thanks deadwoodgone, pommom, lalasingme and IKnowWhy4!  It's comforting to know that you are experiencing the same disconcerting symptoms, although I'm sorry that we are all in such a bad way.

Is is abnormal that derealization as I described would keep one from going to church and other gatherings?  I quit such activities a few months ago which makes me even more isolated that I already am, but making myself go when I feel like this only makes it worse.  You would think it would help, but it has the opposite effect.  I can't talk to anyone and I feel nothing but anxiety and fear when I venture out.

It’s not abnormal at all. I’ve attempted to get out of the house plenty of times but its just not the same anymore (for right now). Last week I had to get out to celebrate my younger brothers b-day party, & I had to force myself to talk to everyone. In the back of my mind, I dreamt of being home, lying down. It’s a task, but if you want, you can start by taking short walks & then gradually increase the distance over weeks. Keep conversing with those close to you, & remain in the loop, so then when you do begin to feel the d/r fading, you’re not too far behind. I pray you heal fast, this hell is for no one!

Mine must be worse than most because my friends and family have completely given up on me as I can't communicate normally with them anymore.  They think I have a mental illness so have cut me off. 

Has anyone else's depersonalization caused them this level of loss in their lives?

Hello,

I once had agoraphobia, but that was many years ago. I know this doesn’t sound pleasant, but I’ve been through a lot of therapy and the best thing you can do is make yourself go. If you feel really bad start with little steps. With my OCD I had to do different exposures and in the end that was what I needed. Just make sure to not avoid things due to the anxiety. It’s so much easier to say than do, but even my husband knows when I need to get out of the house. If you give into the panic and anxiety it will only get worse in the long run. Good luck!