Dizzy while lying down?

[de...]

We're familiar with dizziness as vertigo and the "boating" sensation.  Mum was vertigo dizzy (she calls it "head dizzy") when first starting Xanax, then recently experienced boating dizzy (she calls it "body dizzy") as we substituted in some Valium to do this crossover in progress. 

But what is dizzy even while lying down?  She says she gets dizzy just turning her head or adjusting her position in bed (the couch as of now, can't bear to use the bed for some reason).  So what is up with that, and should I be worried about this particular dizziness? 

My heart goes out to your mom.  That's got to be very tough--especially when not as young and strong.  So glad you are there for her.  I have been feeling dizzy all the time, too--over a year!  And it is getting worse as I taper down.  Am told that is nothing unusual.  If you suspect physical danger, you may want to get her checked out.  Most likely the withdrawal, however.  I'm not playing doctor.

Hi Delta l have that dizziness from time to time.lf l turn my head in bed etc.lt comes and goes.Down to withdrawal.There is no end to the symptoms these drugs can throw at us sadly.

We're familiar with dizziness as vertigo and the "boating" sensation.  Mum was vertigo dizzy (she calls it "head dizzy") when first starting Xanax, then recently experienced boating dizzy (she calls it "body dizzy") as we substituted in some Valium to do this crossover in progress. 

But what is dizzy even while lying down?  She says she gets dizzy just turning her head or adjusting her position in bed (the couch as of now, can't bear to use the bed for some reason).  So what is up with that, and should I be worried about this particular dizziness?

This sounds like it might be BPPV, a very common condition that's usually harmless.  I have it, and though mine got worse during my healing period it's returned to normal now.  I've long since learned not to turn my head in certain ways.  The cause is inner ear particles that get loose and float around for a brief time, usually a few seconds but it can be longer.  It often occurs in older people.  This is from the Mayo Clinic Website:

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common causes of vertigo — the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that the inside of your head is spinning.

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo causes brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo is usually triggered by specific changes in the position of your head. This might occur when you tip your head up or down, when you lie down, or when you turn over or sit up in bed.

Although benign paroxysmal positional vertigo can be a bothersome problem, it's rarely serious except when it increases the chance of falls. You can receive effective treatment for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo during a doctor's office visit.

Thank you for the kind input, LynnM, Stut 55, megan918, and Green Cup, will keep all of it in mind. 

Have to say, each time I'm here, I'm so touched by your kindnesses, taking the time to support others by answering posts even while suffering yourselves.  I have tremendous admiration for each of you, all the buddies, for your courage and fortitude.  I just hope that I can come back here one day -- sooner rather than later -- to return the kindness and pay it forward, with all that I've learned from all of you as well as my mother. 

Sending much love your way :smitten:

Hi, I can confirm what Megan wrote so BPPV type of dizziness is harmless. I have had it two times during the wd and it typically goes away in couple of days or weeks. My doc told me that lying in the bed much longer than people typically does is one trigger causing it. It is typical issue when people becomes older and it comes when you are lying in down and move your head. Easy manual treatment is availabe and someone suffering about it might notice it returns but it can be also so that it does't come come back for years. It went to meet ear doctor, it was easy to diagnose by him and he also showed how to treat it. Mine went away less than a week.