How does depression manifest?

[de...]

I know depression makes you sad and sleep a lot, but can depression also show up as anger or foul mood? 

Trying to keep tabs on if depression symptom is appearing, so thanks for any input. 

• 4 weeks later...
[04...]
Depression can make you sleep a lot and sometimes it can rob sleep. It can make you eat a lot and sometimes it can rob appetite. But I do not think it can make you angry. I have never been angry or violent when depressed. I associate depression with "inability to take any action" -- so that rules out anger and violence.

I would think so. Depression can have a quality of anger turned inward, too, where you end up irritablle, but are really blaming yourself for your own circumstances, whether you had any part in those circumstances getting worse or not. A lot of this type of depression can be brought up by loss, rejection, lack of control,  fear of failure, or actually failing at something. Depression can also be a result of chroic frustration, which turns into anger, which some people turn inward. I think allowing yourself to cry the irritable/angry part of depression can be a wonderful tool.

[04...]

Depression can have a quality of anger turned inward, too, where you end up irritablle, but are really blaming yourself for your own circumstances, whether you had any part in those circumstances getting worse or not. A lot of this type of depression can be brought up by loss, rejection, lack of control,  fear of failure, or actually failing at something. Depression can also be a result of chroic frustration, which turns into anger, which some people turn inward. I think allowing yourself to cry the irritable/angry part of depression can be a wonderful tool.

Wow. I had overlooked this aspect. Yes, self-loathing and self-hate can be a manifestation of depression and can lead to anger directed at oneself.

[47...]

Depression can have a quality of anger turned inward, too, where you end up irritablle, but are really blaming yourself for your own circumstances, whether you had any part in those circumstances getting worse or not. A lot of this type of depression can be brought up by loss, rejection, lack of control,  fear of failure, or actually failing at something. Depression can also be a result of chroic frustration, which turns into anger, which some people turn inward. I think allowing yourself to cry the irritable/angry part of depression can be a wonderful tool.

Wow. I had overlooked this aspect. Yes, self-loathing and self-hate can be a manifestation of depression and can lead to anger directed at oneself.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:smitten: