So ready to be done, already!

[Sh...]

These are always so awkward, but I'll take a stab at a decent hello.

I'm joining BB to learn more about what I am about to undertake, and to find support from those who are in the same canoe or have been.

I am currently prescribed Clonazepam, 2mg x2 a day. I dropped one 2mg dose at night time just because I felt like I didn't need it. I have been on this dosage for I think a little over 2 years?

I have a new prescribing psych who told me of the issues that can occur from long term use of the medication, which my past doc (in the same clinic) never did.

I told the new psych that I want off, and that I'd already gone down (most of the time) to just the 2mg in the A.M. She told me I could start by cutting them in half. I forgot to put them in my daily pill case when loading it for the week, and effectively cold-turkeyed for 2 or 3 days before I noticed?

As is apparent by my username, I experienced a clonic-tonic seizure, last Thursday. Thankfully I was uninjured, if not terrified and in a good deal of pain.

At the hospital I was given 2mg of Clon, and put on Keppra, an anti seizure med. I am currently taking just the 1mg in the A.M and seem to be doing fine so far.

I'm upset that upon starting this med I wasn't informed of the issues surrounding it, and the severity and difficulty of going off the med. I'm worried about rebound issues, as it was prescribed for my Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The future is scary right now, but I'm hopeful.

It stinks not being able to drive for at least 6 months, and being unable to be alone with my kiddos, take a bath in peace, etc.

Here's hoping to getting off this med smoothly and without more seizures!

[3a...]

Hello, SheHadSeizures :) - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I’m so sorry you had such a terrifying experience – it’s a shame that too few doctors know enough about the dangers of benzodiazepines to help us make informed decisions before we start taking them in the first place.

It’s great that you’ve gotten down so far already without horrific symptoms though, because it’s a pretty good sign that you can continue tapering down successfully, and perhaps with relative ease.  :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through.

Here are a couple of links that may be a good starting place for you:

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

Please take a moment to Create a Signature. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Leslie  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative resource on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery. It provides information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations.

For those who are currently tapering, a starting guideline is that the dosage not be reduced faster than by 5-10% every 10-14 days, although some taper even more slowly than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper somewhat faster.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am crossing my fingers that I have a not-awful experience tapering off. I want to do so as quickly as safely possible. I know that at the current 1mg cut I won't feel the effects of the drop for a few days, if I am correct?

Thank you for the links as well  :D