Clonazepam to Lorazepam

[Ag...]

Hello. I was on Clonazepam for around 5 years starting at either 0.5 or 1mg a day. I've been going through a depressive episode for several months now and my anxiety is worse. I had started taking 2mg a day. I didn't feel like the Clonazepam was helping. I know now I should never have stayed on it so long. My nurse practioner prescribed me Lorazepam and I switched between the two by 0.5mg a week on his advice. I'm now on 3mg of Lorazepam a day. I realize now that was probably too fast a taper. Also it doesn't seem like Lorazepam was a good benzo to switch to from Clonazepam. I haven't even tried tapering off Lorazepam yet but I'm even more anxious thinking of having to come off a  more potent benzo. Anyway, for the past month or so I've felt what I think are withdrawals. It's hard to judge as my depression is so bad I wonder if I'm just experiencing physical symptoms from that.  It's very difficult to feel these symptoms while also having this major depression. From what I've read the continued benzo use could be contributing to my depression and anxiety. And if I try to taper off Lorazepam while having withdrawal from Clonazepam I imagine that would just make the withdrawal worse. Sorry for this kind of rambling post. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for what to do at this point? Thank you.

3mg of Lorazepam per day?!!?!??!?!  YIKES!

I took a total of 40 .5mg pills and I still have symptoms over 8 months after stopping.  I took .5mg per day and at the end when I hit tolerance I took 1mg for 3 days. 

I would suggest you get on a taper real quick and stick to it.  The longer you keep taking those high doses I can't even imagine what you are going to go through.  IT SUCKS.  Take that first step forward and follow through.  The longer you wait the longer your pain!

I wish you all the courage in the world!  I've been through it and I was a baby user compared to some long term/dosage people.  You're going to have to suck up the withdrawal symptoms sooner or later so I would work with your medical team and come up with a plan.  Don't worry about the type of hell you're going to go through...IT'S GOING TO BE HELL NO MATTER WHAT.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you are going to go through withdrawal no matter what - and 3mg of ativan is a very large amount to be taking so i agree with the other person that the longer you stay on that - the harder time you are going to have.  its going to be brutal no matter what so the sooner you start to taper - the better. 

It's the Clonazepam that's giving me the withdrawal. I've only been on the Lorazepam for a short time. Does anyone thing it would be a good idea to go back to the Clonazepam and try tapering again but slower or just ride out the withdrawal?