Clomipramine experiences

[co...]

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this medication for depression / anxiety in post Benzo withdrawal. I gave Imipramine a go for a four weeks with little success... doctor wants me to give Clomipramine a go. I may or may not... but I'm just looking for some feedback.

thank you for your help,

I had terrible OCD, which started well before benzos, at age 16. Clomipramine saved my life. It was the only psych med I was taking at the time. I don’t remember if it helped depression, but I guess it did a lot. I became functional.

Unfortunately, it gave me anxiety. There are many difficult sxs, both physical and mental, which come along with TCAs. Why did you stop imipramine? Didn’t your doctor suggest Effexor XR, or am I wrong?

Thanks Estee... the Imipramine was very difficult to stay on with the Tinnitus that I have. It amplified it significantly. I felt a little better but no good results at the dosage I was taking. My sleep became more fractured and at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. Now I'm not so sure. This is my track record with AD's because I've never been able to stay on them for one reason or another. Mostly due to side effects and increased anxiety. I believe that most people who have a co-morbid mental challenge ie. anxiety and depression use Benzo's to deal with some of the side effects of AD's while they ramp up on their medication. However, I do not have that option. And if Clomipramine has a side effect of anxiety, then that will be another med I'll get on and come off quickly. Just seems pretty hopeless at this point... anyway, I may give it a shot. It's the last med I'm considering to try. I've heard Effexor is a really difficult medication to get on and get off of. I'm trying some 5-htp but I don't think it will be enough at this point.

Yes, Effexor XR is relatively difficult to quit. Easier than benzos, though. But it’s an SNRI, very good for anxiety and for sleep. If your pdoc recommended it, you could start from a dose of 37,5 mg twice a day and see how you feel. Some ppl find it too activating. I didn’t. I took it for two yrs, while off benzos. My biggest dose was 75 mg twice a day. Was quite functional on it. Effexor XR targets all three neurotransmitters: serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. I think it’s similar with Anafranil. The anti-anxiety properties of Effexor XR were much stronger for me, though. I’m sorry imipramine didn’t work for you...