What foods to avoid?

[sa...]

Haven't heard about the histamine enough to comment.  But the monosodium glutamate [MSG] is an excitotoxin.  Just take the word apart and that should answer your question regarding its safety in trying to keep yourself calm and free of toxic reactions.  "Excite" "Toxin."  It is not good for the brain or body.  Do the research online and you will find plenty.  MSG masks itself by the use of MANY other names on food labeling.  "Natural Flavors" is a big one.  If unsure, call the company and ask them if their use of "natural flavors" is of the glutamate family.  I once found a site that listed over 100 names that manufacturers use to mask this term.  It is a flavor enhancer that tricks the brain into thinking that something tastes better than it does.  It is not recommended during benzo tapering.  Eating more foods in their natural state and less processed foods and reading labels carefully will ensure an easier transition for your taper.  When in doubt, call the company.  I was surprised by my label reading just how much MSG there is out there in the processed foods.  Even a can of beans can have it in it.  Again, call the company and check out online the many names that MSG is given in order to hide itself.  Hope this helps.