Question about Abilify

[la...]

I had a doctor appointment while I was having a panic attack. And it wasn't my normal doctor. :( She kept asking, "Are you in pain?" And I kept answering, "I'm having a panic attack." Yes, several times! I told her my withdrawal symptoms and she recommended Abilify. I told her I don't want to take any psychotropic drugs. She assured me it's not a benzo. I explained that I am leary of medications and that I have to do my own research. She just looked at me like I'm crazy.

I read about the side effects and many of them are symptoms I already have, like restless legs and jerking. Idlove to hear what you all have to say. Am I right to just say NO?

'Abilify' is usually prescribed to aid another AD already in progress.  A friend of mine was on it and said it helped him.  I was never on it, so I can't say.  Maybe other bbs that know more about it could chime in?

Full disclosure, I'm pretty anti-psych med at this point, though it's very much a personal choice. That said, I would be especially concerned about the newer drugs like Abilify and Cymbalta, as Big Pharma tends to push negligible testing through on a lot of drugs these days just to get past the FDA, and they aren't always well executed tests nor do they look at any long-term effects of the drugs. I would be especially wary of taking something that hadn't at least been out for awhile. Knowing what I know now, I just don't trust that they have the patient's interest in mind, so msuch as they do making a buck off of said patient. Anyway, just my opinion.

Also, you haven't been off that long. Your symptoms will get better in time, though I'm sure it seems unbearable at times now. I don't think drugs are absolutely necessary. Do you  have a bunch of coping skills to help you through this? At least in my case, I've found them much more effective and they don't come with side effects.

I know what that look is. You know like I'm crazy for not being ON something. I had just got done telling a new doctor how all those drugs physically crippled me and how much better I'm getting around now. The only one I didn't mention was Wellbutrin and guess what he suggested I give it a try. Hey THEIR out of their minds. I always laughed at the new Abilify commercials because you have to add it to your current antidepressant. You know why because antidepressants just don't work. Maybe in some classic cases but now people are given a pill for having a bad day. I won't take anything that changes my brain chemistry and I'm sticking to that. Besides there is no scientific test for a chemical imbalance in the first place and the companies use words like thought to help or may help they just don't know! A real solution for now may be Benydril. It calms my racing thoughts that lead to panic attacks and I'm not getting them as often as I did when I was ON something. I'll pray for your swift recovery

I personally would STAY AWAY from all head meds. All they do is drift you further out into the sea of darkness and brain imbalance. The only way to return to normal balance is to eat well,exercise and stay away from all the poisons. I know when I am in a wave which is most of the time all I can think of is relief but I know that relief can only come by hanging on tight and tough it out. Time is the only healer. This is my personal opinion.

My pdoc suggested Abilify at one point, but cautioned that there's a small chance it could cause "tardive diskinesia" and if that happens you're screwed. He said it's only a risk at high dosages though. Then he did a demonstration of what looked like and that image freaked me out enough to say "no" to ANY dose of it. So I say stay off it.

Everyone's experiences and reasons for taking meds will vary, but here's my experience with Abilify:

It was one of the meds I was polydrugged with in college during a bad anxiety and depression bout thanks to being intolerant to hormonal birth control. I also went on benzos around that time.

For me, Abilify was too much. I guess it helped a bit while I was still unknowingly struggling with the mental effects of the birth control, but otherwise wasn't good for me. I was taking it with Adderall, benzos, and an AD. I felt good (too good sometimes), so it was hard for me to realize, but once I got off the birth control and was more stabilized, it made me pretty manic - not totally insane, but I definitely had patterns of overspending, excessive drinking, and hyperactivity while I was on it. Oh, and it made me gain weight, too. Not a fan, although I will say I don't remember major issues going off of it once I decided to.