UK Daily Mail, Oxford study recommending increased use of ADs

[Qu...]

I’d just finished reading the article this morning and I immediately go to the comments section out of curiosity.  Usually they disappoint me to the point where I stop reading the nonsensical crap about how these meds save lives etc. In sharp contrast this was totally refreshing, not one pro AD comment I can recall. It’s about time. Pity most people aren’t likely to read the comments but instead will focus on the headline.

:smitten:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5424917/John-Naish-disagrees-study-says-antidepressants-work.html

I like this part:

The debate about this class of drugs long ago stopped being simply a discussion on medical matters. Instead, it has become a war of ideology. On one side are those who see the symptoms of depression as a 'chemical imbalance' of the brain that can only be cured with doses of powerful, therapeutic chemicals.

On the other side are the sceptics, who argue that depression is not one simple illness but due to a constellation of problems triggered by a variety of causes.

Moreover, the sceptics say, to deal with these problems psychological support is often needed, with access to counselling and other talking therapies, rather than a medical cosh.

And caught in between all of this are the poor patients.

Thanks for posting all the links ... I have just been posting in another thread about this study, not realising it was also being discussed here.

Yesterday was orchestrated by psychiatry to misinform and deceive and shore up psychiatry's own image.  I think they may have singularly failed, well I do hope so anyway.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5424917/John-Naish-disagrees-study-says-antidepressants-work.html

I like this part:

The debate about this class of drugs long ago stopped being simply a discussion on medical matters. Instead, it has become a war of ideology. On one side are those who see the symptoms of depression as a 'chemical imbalance' of the brain that can only be cured with doses of powerful, therapeutic chemicals.

On the other side are the sceptics, who argue that depression is not one simple illness but due to a constellation of problems triggered by a variety of causes.

Moreover, the sceptics say, to deal with these problems psychological support is often needed, with access to counselling and other talking therapies, rather than a medical cosh.

And caught in between all of this are the poor patients.

I love how the people who question the chemical imbalance theory are the "skeptics".