Fear of the final dose

[Cr...]

After 8 long years I’m 4 days away from my final dose and I’m scared shitless. I began tapering in July from 6mgs of Xanax/day, for about 7 years, now at .25 once every 4 days. During previous taper attempts I was never able to get below 1mg so I know I’m already a success yet I’m so scared to be done.

[ec...]

Hi Crazy Money!

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for joining us.

Congratulations on being almost there.  I can imagine that after many years of relying on that magic pill, that the idea of living without it can be scary.  You're definitely not the first person to have expressed that fear, so I think you'll be able to connect with others with similar concerns.  You're absolutely correct that you have already succeeded.  What's left will probably be fairly minor compared with what you've already been through.  I look forward to seeing you finish your taper and realizing a full recovery.

If you haven’t already done so, please take a thorough look at the Ashton Manual.  It is an authoritative guide to benzodiazepine tapering and includes sections on what to expect during withdrawal.  The manual can be found at this link:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual

Since you're essentially done with your taper, here's a link to the Post-Withdrawal Support section of the forum.  Probably a good place to share your concerns and experiences.  Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Please take some time to Create a Signature. This will help other members understand your history so they will be better able to support you.

Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

Again, welcome!