Damaged by Doctor

[su...]

I've been prescribed and taken Alprazolam for over 20 years, as well as numerous anti-depressants.  My doctor told me it would help with anxiety - never told me it was addictive or I couldn't just stop taking it. 

I am currently on .5 mg three times a day.  It does nothing for my anxiety, but my body tells me way before the dose is due when its time to take it. 

Same doctor tapered me off duloxetine (Cymbalta) last summer and the emotional/physical roller coaster was (and still is) horrible.  She then put me on sertraline, which I have tapered myself off of - ended in December.  Doctor told me withdrawal symptoms from these medications doesn't last that long and will not listen to me.

I'm still trying to "stabilize" from the anti-depressant withdrawal issues which my doctor says doesn't exist.  The moments of clarity are growing, but I have a ways to go. 

I do not trust my doctor (or most of them) anymore and want to taper off the alzprazolam. I am trying to figure out how to taper off it, while trying to find another doctor who will help me do it correctly.  I want to be "educated" about it while trying to find another doctor so I know that he/she will be on the same page with me instead of working against me.

Hello sunflower55,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Sadly you are not the only person to receive misinformation about benzos, it is actually far too common. So often we are told these types of drugs are safe to take long term, when in fact, just the opposite it true.  While benzos might and can work for the short term, after a period of time their efficacy decreases leading to situations like tolerance. It seems you have reached tolerance to the dose you are taking now so I'm glad you have made a decision to taper off.

Good for you for seeking to become informed before starting the taper process. The more you know, the better you will be able to find a plan that works for you.  It took me a long time to find a doctor who would support my taper, I wish you good luck in your search.

A slow taper can minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

Congratulations on getting off the AD's. I think you are right to find a good baseline before you start to tackle the taper of alprazolam.  We'll be here to support and encourage you in your journey to be benzo free. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans 

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)