Hi, been struggling for benzos for years and have been diagnosed with generalized epilepsy-about to+

[El...]

...GIVE UP ON RECOVERY. I have abused too many benzos to count; pharms (xanax, klonopin, ativan to make the main ones, and countless RC's, my faves being clonazolam, flunromazepam, and etizolam. I was diagnosed with epilepsy even though I've been taking keppra and my benzos, I have had 3 life threatening seizures and am scared to drive or even walk out in public. I first got into benzos at around age 19, I am 22 now, but I have taken some very heavy doses. So thats my story in a nutshell. I would love to get clean, but it seems impossible but keppra has some awful side effects, way worse than benzos. Anyone been in a similar sitiation? How'd it go for you? Many thanks :)

-L♡

Hi L  :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies

I am sorry that you are having a tough time in getting off benzodiazepines, I know how tough it is.  It is possible to successfully taper off these drugs with good support. Try and stay positive, benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly

Seizures can be dangerous!,  Since you have had  seizures before, I think it is  very important that you consult with your doctor/neurologist, prior to making any changes in your benzodiazepine medication.  You and your doctor, or neurologist, would then be able to discuss the best and safest options for you regarding how to taper of the medications.

I will leave you some taper info   

The Ashton Manual ,  is an excellent resource for information about these medications and gives a lot of information about withdrawal/tapering.  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  You can go slower, whatever is comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

The Ashton Manual

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

Other Medications     

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita