First post on sleep forum - scary symptoms

[Ha...]

Does anyone get sudden jolts awake? Not a physical jerk like when you feel like you're falling as you're drifting off - it's more like a surge of energy  I think. I had this rely bad between months 1-2 and now it's back albeit less severely, at 6 months. With restless legs too.

The other problem I'm having is when I close my eyes at night and still wide awake I start having sort of...hallucinations. I can never remember what I hallucinate but it's very very vivid. Almost like a fever hallucination. It's really scary. It makes me feel psychic! In a bad way.

Oh and I also don't know where I am or what year it is when I wake up.

Please can anyone offer any help or reassurance? I'm feeling realtor scared of sleep.

I also forgot to add that I also start remembering memories from when I was just a little kid like it was yesterday.  I get intrusive memories throughout the day but when I close my eyes at night the memories just flood in like visions, rapid fire. I honestly had no idea I even had some of the memories I see.

Hanzgs,

Everything you are describing are pretty typical WD symptoms.  I had intrusive thoughts from long ago that would just pop into my head.  They will fade with time.  The "jolts or surges" you feel are also pretty "normal" for those going through WD.  They are most likely cortisol surges.  I had those too and they are not fun but will also fade with time.  The good news is that you have been off the poison for 6 months now.  That is awesome.  You will slowly heal over time but it probably will not be as fast as you would like it to be.  Please note that none of these symptoms will harm you physically.  They are your brain's response to healing itself from the damage the Benzos did to you. 

I used to hallucinate too, I thought real live people were trapped inside of my crystal salt lamp and I thought people were at the end of my bed in the middle of the night.  Scary, but again won't hurt you.  You will get past this.  You will get better.  Stay away from all other Rx drugs as you recover.  I know this is easy to say, but I promise that all of this will fade with time.  Just hang in there and accept the fact that this will be with you for awhile and will not harm you.  It freaks you out, but once you know it is just your mind playing tricks on you, you can accept it and ignore it the best you can until it fades.  You will get there. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...