margaret on xanax

[es...]

I'm taking 1mg of Xanax in a divided dose 0f 0.25 at midday and the rest before bed. I've reduced from 2mg over the last 9 months and I experienced Vertigo( like boating and falling). sleep disturbance, derealization, fear and head pressure ( like cement in my brain). I was initially prescribed the Xanax after brain surgery to remove an angioblastoma 10 months ago as I couldn't sleep and was in panic and I've tapered myself at home very slowly. I'm now stable on the 1mg but I still experience the problems with equilibrium and so I'm a little frightened to reduce further. Cat scans of my brain show that my benign tumor has been successfully removed and there is just a little scar tissue in my cerebellum. I'm joining Benzobuddies for support and information about symptoms and tapering methods and to offer my support to others.

Welcome to the forum! We're glad  to have you as a new member. Congratulations on your taper so far, and on your recovery from surgery!  Often, tapers go smoothly until one gets to the last phase and is near the end.  It's good that you're tapering slowly, and you might consider slowing your taper even more if symptoms are appearing.

You'll find lots of information and support here.  Our members have been through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to find  people who understand what you're going through.

For those who are starting a new taper, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days at first, and then adjusting the taper rate to suit your own needs.  One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a few months after discontinuing the medication.  First/only withdrawals after a slow taper tend to be easier than multiple reinstatements/withdrawals over time, which may make symptoms worse and longer lasting. The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but there are many others. These are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Withdrawal Support Board

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. Section III explains and describes symptoms, and there is also a section with suggested taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the tips. I'm so glad that you're painting again and that your symptoms have improved so much. it's heartening to hear that things can get better.

I too am feeling more creative and finding the desire to get back into my hobby of beading and jewelry design. I was unable to do it for months as my hands would shake and I'm not sure if it was the brain surgery or the Xanax taper but it's gone now which is a great relief.

Thanks for the welcome and here's to hoping that we both sleep well tonight  :)

Hi, estallaisbella1, I wanted to welcome you as well and share some info in case it might be of use to you, because you mention having had brain surgery. 

Have you read the book The Brain's Way of Healing by Norman Doidge?  In the chapter on light therapy, Doidge talks about a woman who had brain surgery similar to yours, struggled a lot in the aftermath, then healed with light ("cold laser") treatments.  Your intro reminded me of her story.  I know the light therapy likely won't help with the benzo withdrawal part of your recovery, but it might possibly help with any lingering issues from the brain surgery.  Just thought I'd pass on the bit of info.  (I read the book because so much of what happens in benzo withdrawal resembles the symptoms from brain injury, including concussions, and indeed I think benzos do actually injure the brain.)