Did anyone, alone, isolated, over 60, no in person support, ever make it off?

[Ba...]

I ask because in a fb group, so many have moved in with parents, or siblings, or friends or children or whatever.  In withdrawal we are so unable to cope on so many levels for so long.

Am wondering if any person truly with no family... not married... no kids... solo...  got off this stuff.  Everything you read says set up a support network in advance.

If you don't have that are you wasting your time because, well, it is just too much to bear and to handle?

Thx.

I ask because in a fb group, so many have moved in with parents, or siblings, or friends or children or whatever.  In withdrawal we are so unable to cope on so many levels for so long.

Am wondering if any person truly with no family... not married... no kids... solo...  got off this stuff.  Everything you read says set up a support network in advance.

If you don't have that are you wasting your time because, well, it is just too much to bear and to handle?

Thx.

Yes, I made it off even though I'd had two previous failed withdrawals.  I was 62 when I did my last fast taper off, living alone, a widow, no children, with no other family nearby, and I'm naturally reclusive as well.  I certainly had no "network" of any kind.  This forum helped me in a way I'll be forever grateful for, which is why I volunteer my time to help out here.

It was an extremely difficult and tortuous process, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'm almost 6 years off now and I'm healed.

So yes, it can be done.  One good thing about it was it showed me I had strength and determination I never even imagined I had. 

:smitten:

Hi Barbara to be honest with you l don't think it is necessary to have a support network if you have determination to get off this poison you will.l have family however they are not supportive at all so l have to get on with it.l will get off these drugs on my own like l have done everything else in my life and you will too.There is an over 60s group on this site.Go to the home page and click on support groups.

Hi Barbara-

I was 51 when my ordeal began (Dec. 2011). I had no family nearby, no support of any kind. I had to learn to adapt when I could not drive for over a year. Thank god for Amazon. My so called "friends" abandoned me, my GP said it was all in my head, my therapist suggested I had "conversion" disorder. I could barely get out of my chair. I could not even shower for weeks because of the intense burning & dizziness.  There are others here that were alone & got through this mess too. Seek out their stories.

Shear will, determination & this godsend forum got me through the most difficult time in my life. I distracted from my horrible symptoms by teaching myself  many different things using trial & error as my guide line. Some of the self taught things were: photography, photo/video editing , learned how to make "gifs",  built a website, taught myself these computer based things. I did this all with Dp/Dr. For some reason my creativity skyrocketed. It took me 1 1/2 years to finish the website but hey, it got done. I played lumosity brain games to keep track of cognitive function when I felt totally crazy. To distract myself from the  the excessive anxiety I used a technique call

So Barbara, find things to keep yourself distracted. Do anything to keep your mind off of the symptoms....Never give up hope...keep pushing yourself. One day you will realize you are healing too. It really can take a very long time for some of us to feel better.

Thx.

Yes, I made it off even though I'd had two previous failed withdrawals.  I was 62 when I did my last fast taper off, living alone, a widow, no children, with no other family nearby, and I'm naturally reclusive as well.  I certainly had no "network" of any kind.  This forum helped me in a way I'll be forever grateful for, which is why I volunteer my time to help out here.

It was an extremely difficult and tortuous process, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I'm almost 6 years off now and I'm healed.

So yes, it can be done.  One good thing about it was it showed me I had strength and determination I never even imagined I had. 

Thanks Meagan, I am happy for you. This is one horrible process.

Some people prefer to be alone going through this and thats fine, but generally you need some kind of support. Ain't there any kind of contact person you can get?

No one can ask of you to go through this alone. I wouldn't be able to. I would feel really bad(both with withdrawal and life quality) and in time end up in a psychward and i did. I can't live being unable to get off the sofa and scared. This is not the best route

Isen't there anyway to reach out to the community? If it becomes unbearable you have to start talking to the pros. Maybe they can pave a good way for you to make it

Some people prefer to be alone going through this and thats fine, but generally you need some kind of support. Ain't there any kind of contact person you can get?

No one can ask of you to go through this alone. I wouldn't be able to. I would feel really bad(both with withdrawal and life quality) and in time end up in a psychward and i did. I can't live being unable to get off the sofa and scared. This is not the best route

Isen't there anyway to reach out to the community? If it becomes unbearable you have to start talking to the pros. Maybe they can pave a good way for you to make it

The problem is, many if not most of the "pros" really don't know much about benzo withdrawal, how long it can take to heal or how severe the symptoms can be.  Some (and this includes many family and friends) don't believe us when we tell them what we're going through.  They think we have mental problems and/or we're making it up or exagerating how we feel.  That's why this forum is so unique and so valuable, because members here DO understand.

The problem is, many if not most of the "pros" really don't know much about benzo withdrawal, how long it can take to heal or how severe the symptoms can be.  Some (and this includes many family and friends) don't believe us when we tell them what we're going through.  They think we have mental problems and/or we're making it up or exagerating how we feel.  That's why this forum is so unique and so valuable, because members here DO understand.

Yep, totally agree. You can't possibly understand this process unless you are going or have gone through it.

The w/d sx's can defy imagination.

BarbaraAve......I can't imagine being completely alone,  it makes it harder I'm sure.  But know this whole website is set up for u.  There are some every smart, very experienced people on here going thru it or have been thru it, that just want to help.  I have only been on here a month, but feel free to pm me anytime.  Look thru the topics and ask as many questions as u need answered.  U aren' t alone.  We are all here :smitten:

Thx.

That's nice, Megan ;)

Who are the pro's, tho?

IF I take ambien or some such then I have a day here or there to function.  But I realize this is really another benzo, so not sure of the point.

I did read what someone wrote on bluelight (what is taht site?)  and they kinda said some people have horrid time getting off, some don't.  He thought if really that miserable then stay on.    I realize people here want to get off but I guess I am thinking that is pie in the sky based on how I feel and my situation.

Have one online friend I can talk to about this a lot but she in Australia so that only works at 3 am in the morning.... and I bored talking about it all.  So, no skin friend or support.  And whether someone understands you or not having someone to talk to matters.

Yes i do appreciate this forum, don't think I don't!  A lot of smart, caring people who have gone through the mill... or going through it.

Ask some specific questions that will attract the people that are more experienced in different areas.  What do u need to know or understand in your progress forward.  How do u want to reduce your benzo's......those are the questions that will bring the pro's out.  And then sometimes u just need some friendship........ :therethere:  I would be terrified and my heart goes out to u.  I just want to try once to keep u from giving up. :)