Being forced to taper please advise

[Mi...]

Hi,

Long story short my GP forced me to reduce from 5mg Diazepam to 4 daily a year ago. 6-8 weeks later I had a complete melt down. I was terrified, intrusive thoughts and agoraphobia. I had to call my daughter am 2am to come be with me. Couldn't work for 3 months and they flat refused to let me go back up.

Changed GP, new one said I have to taper. He said firstly 1mg a week then said .5mg every day. I said that's 3.5mg a week!

After lots of tussling he suggested .5mg every other day. I have been on Benzos for 10 or 12 yrs.

He laughed when I mentioned 5% reduction. Had an answer for everything I said. I felt ok after speaking to him but now feel like I was lulled, charmed and manipulated. No way will this chap let me go back up if I struggle.

I told him I am sick at the moment, worried about my health, my job. I can't walk because I'm in so much pain and they still don't know what's wrong with me

He forgot to send the script so I had to chase it down 5 days after I had officially run out. Then he gave 2 weeks supply so there is a risk I can run out again as they are so slow to prescribe.

So basically one day I take 4mg, the next 3.5. I realise now I have no idea when he will try to cut me again. He lulled me with saying 1mg a week and then telling me he will go at a pace that's comfortable to me. I realise now its better to drop daily by less so I feel more stable.

Very worried...Is .5 too high when you are on 4? Also seems like he wont cut by less than .5 so I am afraid he will have me  off in 8 weeks and then withdrawal will hit me and I will be alone and refused another script.

Please advise? Anyone?

Hi Missanonimity-

Sorry that happened to you. Your story is all to common with many prescribers. If I were in your shoes I would try my very best to find another prescriber who will support a reasonable, symptom based taper at the rate of 5 to 10% every 10 - 14 days.  :thumbsup:

If you cannot find someone else, try and persuade him to drop .5 every three weeks.  Fortunately you are not on a high dose of Valium although I understand you have been taking it for a long while.

Is this your first time coming off of a benzo?  If yes, you may have an easier time than if you have come off multiple times.

These doctors really need to be better educated.  In my experience, there has not been one who understood the need to slowly taper.

You can do this.

Carol :smitten:

Hi, thanks for the replies. Not my first time unfortunately. I was on 30mg 20yrs ago and came off myself with no pressure.

This is my new prescriber. I changed Surgeries to get away from the GP who forced me to cut by 1mg daily.

I really had no fear then about what may happen. I cut as I was forced. My concern is that 6-8 weeks on I had the most horrific intrusive thoughts and simply stopped! Could not be with my Grandchild, could not go to work

I have changed the routine to 3.75 daily instead of 3.5 then 4.

I will not be able to find another GP now. I am going to ask him to let me stay on 3.75 for another month then as to cut by .25 every other day and stay for a month.

I am so ill, very concerned that no one knows why I can't walk. No idea what eventually will be found. Its been so bad my daughter was taking me to hospital.

I have gone on a juice and raw vegitable diet to try and strengthen my system and reduce inflammation.

No problems with them giving me anti inflammatory pills ( which I won't take) Black box warning and can cause heart attacks wtf?

First do no harm? I would rather feel the pain