Taper from 4MG to 0MG - @ 1MG NOW AND LOSING HOPE

[TU...]

I am not sure if anyone read my introduction but I am looking some advice or tips as I have hit a wall with my Xanax withdrawal. From 4mg, I have titrated down 0.5mg each month where I now am on 1mg, 0.5 2x daily of Xanax XR. During the other titrations, the peak symptoms would be 7-10 days and then I would find a stable spot and get ready for the next titration. From 1.5 to 1.0 mg is the first time I have had virtually no relief from the horrible symptoms and I don't know what else I can do - I certainly have no interesting in going back up. I spoke to my doctor and he said we would split my Prozac into two does, 40mg and 40mg (80mg) total daily and add 1mg of Risperidone to the existing 1mg to net 2.0mg 1x daily. I had a few days of physical relief but now my headaches, depression, lack of motivation, lack of energy, feeling panicky, feeling electricity through the body, feeling unsteady with random brain zaps, ringing in ears, blurry or cloudy brain fog and increased surges of adrenaline couple with the inability to decompress or release all of the physical tension has been going on for 3-4 weeks, basically since my move from 1.5mg to 1.0mg. I get relief for 2-3 hours in the AM and usually from 730-8pm through sleep - strangely I am sleeping well and I am not sure if that is because I so physically wrecked by the end of the day or the CBD oil I have been taking has been working? Today is my first day off CBD oil because I was fearful that perhaps it was complicating my ability to stabialize on 1.0mg. I am running out of ideas, less just calling my doctor again, he is a GP as I can never set foot in a psychiatrists office again after I had been poisoned by Xanax XR for 8+ years. I think part of the reason I am feeling so horrible is because this is the lowest dose of benzo I have been on (or equal to) during the last 10 odd years, with just sporadic doctor prescribed use as needed from 2002-2010. It had been about 6 years on 3-4mg of XR daily and my doctor set a foundation of 80mg of Prozac and 2mg of Risperidone down for a year before we even attempted to titrate down in Xanax XR, some 3mg ago, or 7 months ago. So I happy so happy to be here and present and fighting on just 1mg after being on 4mg, but I am starting to run out of hope as these 3-4 weeks have been hell, first physically, and not both mentally and physically. I am going to work 12 hours a day and that has been SO HARD but our boys are 2 and 4 and I just don't know how I can give up on getting better or functioning in daily life. I know many people would have done inpatient what I have done at home and at work, but I really don't have any other choice. I know I am getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel but these insane physical and mental anxiety during the last titration from 1.5 mg to 1.0 has been horrific. Color on the CBD - have been taking 50-100mg a day either through gummies or pure oil for 3 weeks. I think it may be helping with sleep but it has been NO MATCH for the benzo withdrawal and after asking my doctor about it, he said he didn't like the idea as it haded another complication or variable. Is what I am describing normal? Are there any meds / therapies etc that can help during the times it gets so hard? I didn't respond well to years of CBT therapy, music, meditations and now seemingly CBD (maybe too low a dose) could be working against me, or doing very little. Sorry to ramble and go on and on but I know this is the right place to go to get expertise that many doctors just can't have as they haven't gone through what we all have / or are going through. Thanks so much and I hope everyone is staying strong and winning the good fight - anyone who knows benzos knows that we should be proud of ourselves and everyone in this group, no matter if you have reduced 0, .125mg or 10! Best regards and hopefully hear from many of you soon. Thanks for the support, Eric

I can't comment on the taper from a Xanax XR but I think it is usually better to taper from immediate release.  However, Xanax has a short half life.

It does seem that maybe you are tapering too quickly .  Also, how do you reduce an XR drug by .5 mg.  Is it dispensed in .5 mgs?  Because you cannot cut an XR drug.  Would your physician consider switching you to Valium and tapering you more slowly because of what you are experiencing?

I am hoping that someone more knowledgable with tapering an XR xanax will respond.

As to what will help with the withdrawal symptoms?  Some people have used gabapentin.  But that is a tough drug to discontinue later on and does not help everyone.  You are already on a very strong dose of Prozac so in my opinion I would not increase that.

If you are able to work, that should help distract you from the symptoms.  Keep in mind that the symptoms are just that -- your brain responding to the diminished benzo.  Distraction is the best tool.

Hang in there.  You can do this.  We have all been through what you are describing.

:smitten:

Carol

I am not sure if anyone read my introduction but I am looking some advice or tips as I have hit a wall with my Xanax withdrawal. From 4mg, I have titrated down 0.5mg each month where I now am on 1mg, 0.5 2x daily of Xanax XR. During the other titrations, the peak symptoms would be 7-10 days and then I would find a stable spot and get ready for the next titration. From 1.5 to 1.0 mg is the first time I have had virtually no relief from the horrible symptoms and I don't know what else I can do - I certainly have no interesting in going back up. I spoke to my doctor and he said we would split my Prozac into two does, 40mg and 40mg (80mg) total daily and add 1mg of Risperidone to the existing 1mg to net 2.0mg 1x daily. I had a few days of physical relief but now my headaches, depression, lack of motivation, lack of energy, feeling panicky, feeling electricity through the body, feeling unsteady with random brain zaps, ringing in ears, blurry or cloudy brain fog and increased surges of adrenaline couple with the inability to decompress or release all of the physical tension has been going on for 3-4 weeks, basically since my move from 1.5mg to 1.0mg. I get relief for 2-3 hours in the AM and usually from 730-8pm through sleep - strangely I am sleeping well and I am not sure if that is because I so physically wrecked by the end of the day or the CBD oil I have been taking has been working? Today is my first day off CBD oil because I was fearful that perhaps it was complicating my ability to stabialize on 1.0mg. I am running out of ideas, less just calling my doctor again, he is a GP as I can never set foot in a psychiatrists office again after I had been poisoned by Xanax XR for 8+ years. I think part of the reason I am feeling so horrible is because this is the lowest dose of benzo I have been on (or equal to) during the last 10 odd years, with just sporadic doctor prescribed use as needed from 2002-2010. It had been about 6 years on 3-4mg of XR daily and my doctor set a foundation of 80mg of Prozac and 2mg of Risperidone down for a year before we even attempted to titrate down in Xanax XR, some 3mg ago, or 7 months ago. So I happy so happy to be here and present and fighting on just 1mg after being on 4mg, but I am starting to run out of hope as these 3-4 weeks have been hell, first physically, and not both mentally and physically. I am going to work 12 hours a day and that has been SO HARD but our boys are 2 and 4 and I just don't know how I can give up on getting better or functioning in daily life. I know many people would have done inpatient what I have done at home and at work, but I really don't have any other choice. I know I am getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel but these insane physical and mental anxiety during the last titration from 1.5 mg to 1.0 has been horrific. Color on the CBD - have been taking 50-100mg a day either through gummies or pure oil for 3 weeks. I think it may be helping with sleep but it has been NO MATCH for the benzo withdrawal and after asking my doctor about it, he said he didn't like the idea as it haded another complication or variable. Is what I am describing normal? Are there any meds / therapies etc that can help during the times it gets so hard? I didn't respond well to years of CBT therapy, music, meditations and now seemingly CBD (maybe too low a dose) could be working against me, or doing very little. Sorry to ramble and go on and on but I know this is the right place to go to get expertise that many doctors just can't have as they haven't gone through what we all have / or are going through. Thanks so much and I hope everyone is staying strong and winning the good fight - anyone who knows benzos knows that we should be proud of ourselves and everyone in this group, no matter if you have reduced 0, .125mg or 10! Best regards and hopefully hear from many of you soon. Thanks for the support, Eric

Hello TUCKHUD2-

Sorry you are struggling. How are you titrating the Xanax XR? That tablet is not suppose to be cut or crushed.

"Do not crush or chew extended-release tablets. Doing so can release all of the drug at once, increasing the risk of side effects. Also, do not split the tablets unless they have a score line and your doctor or pharmacist tells you to do so. Swallow the whole or split tablet without crushing or chewing."

Xanax XR