Very discouraged, do I really need to taper off the AD so slowly?

[ma...]

I've seen a recommendation to taper off antidepressants at a rate of 10% per month. This is even slower than the rate Ashton recommends for tapering off benzos, which can be up to 10% every 10 days. Following Ashton method, I was able to cut the benzo to 25% in six months, after using it for 20 years. But at a rate of 10% per month it will take me forever to taper off the antidepressant, despite Ive been using it for ("only") 10 years.

What is your opinion on this recommendation to taper off antidepressants at a rate of 10% per month? Can we do it faster but still stay functional?´

Thanks a lot!

I've seen a recommendation to taper off antidepressants at a rate of 10% per month. This is even slower than the rate Ashton recommends for tapering off benzos, which can be up to 10% every 10 days. Following Ashton method, I was able to cut the benzo to 25% in six months, after using it for 20 years. But at a rate of 10% per month it will take me forever to taper off the antidepressant, despite Ive been using it for ("only") 10 years.

What is your opinion on this recommendation to taper off antidepressants at a rate of 10% per month? Can we do it faster?´

Thanks a lot!

Of course you can go faster if you wish.  But, I tapered off my a/d very slowly (it took over a year) and had few if any symptoms.  I'm very glad I did it that way.  I reduced about 5% every 10-14 days.

:smitten:

What is your opinion on this recommendation to taper off antidepressants at a rate of 10% per month? Can we do it faster?´

Thanks a lot!

Of course you can go faster if you wish.  But, I tapered off my a/d very slowly (it took over a year) and had few if any symptoms.  I'm very glad I did it that way.  I reduced about 5% every 10-14 days.

:smitten:

Thanks Megan, I also want to stay functional (I've corrected the initial post). It would be acceptable to be disfunctional during, say, one month. But I don't know if ADs are like benzos, i.e., can make you sick for years if you go too fast. I don't want that :(