Heavy Sleep Blanket

[La...]

I just ordered a 20 pound sleep blanket last week.  I am really looking forward to trying it out.  I will report on how it works for me, when I get it.  I should receive it this Thursday.

I have never been so excited about getting a blanket!  :D

@Yesterday: Lmk how it works for you.  I'm eager to try one myself, but I don't want to break the bank if there's a good chance it might not help. Keep me posted, and good luck!

I tried it and it was a disaster. It was so heavy on top of me that it felt hard to breathe, which as you could imagine, made it much harder to fall asleep.

I should be receiving my blanket in the mail this Thursday.  I'll review it here.  The weighted blanket is attached to the cover with buttons, so it is not supposed to slip and slide around. 

Until then, I've taken the "poor man's" approach, and simply turned down the thermostat in my room a lot, and piled on two extra thick blankets.  It's pretty toasty, but I actually like the extra weight.  Makes me feel secure.  My cat likes sleeping on top of the blankets, because he kind of sinks into them (not that he has ever had sleeping problems  ::)). 

I guess, before one buys an expensive weighted blanket, you can just "test the waters" by turning down the temperature in your room at night, and putting several extra blankets on your bed.  You will either dislike the added weight, like Teegirl and Bluepill, or like it, like me. 

I've always liked heavy blankets over me, and thought often about investing in a weighted blanket. But a couple of months ago, we went to a hotel with down comforters and I tried something new--just the comforter with a cotton duvet cover, no sheets, nothing else. It was heavenly! I used to put the down comforter over my sheet and polyester comforter, but this was a different feeling.

So that is how I've been sleeping ever since (and quite well for the most part). Just a comforter with a cotton duvet cover, and wearing just a t-shirt and shorts. It is sooo comfy, the hardest part is getting out of bed in the morning! It's a pain to take off the duvet cover, but super easy to shake out in the morning.

I like it!  I received my 20 pound weighted blanket, and I find it very comforting.  I wish I had this blanket years ago.  I can hardly wait to go to sleep, lol  :thumbsup:

Meowie,

It makes me happy to hear that you are sleeping so well.

Thanks Aloha, I would encourage anyone who is uncomfortable to try it, especially if they are like me and having problems with temperature regulation. I was constantly flopping the bedsheets off and on, opening and shutting the window, trying to get comfortable. That no longer seems to be an issue.

I am also anxious to hear how the weighted blanket works out. Getting comfortable is a good part of the battle.

• 2 weeks later...

I like it!  I received my 20 pound weighted blanket, and I find it very comforting.  I wish I had this blanket years ago.  I can hardly wait to go to sleep, lol  :thumbsup:

Any updates now that it's been three weeks? The rest of us are anxious, to say the least, to find out if it's helped you. :)

I ordered the 20 pound blanket two weeks ago and it really helps me feel comfortable. It is very heavy and I probably should have ordered the 10 or 15 pounds. The benzos had taken my ability to sweat but  woke up last night sweating. I guess it may not be so good when it gets warmer, but I will wait and see. By the way I found it on amazon for $159.00.

My long term test report for weighted blanket is positive.

Firstly, I view my weighted blanket as part of a system to help me sleep.  The mind and body respond well to ritual.  I go to bed at the same time each night, having a glass of milk beforehand (tryptophan helps me sleep).  I don't take any over the counter sleeping pills, because they have side effects that I dislike (just true for me).  I keep my room slightly cold and dark as possible.  At low volume I play a little "natural sounds" of rain, because it helps me fall asleep (but that is just me).  My cat usually sleeps next to (or on top!) of me, and I like that.  I pull the weighted blanket up to my shoulders.  If I use other blankets, I put them on top of the weighted blanket, so they don't get compressed.  At 20 pounds, the blanket makes one feel very secure and safe.  I weight 170 pounds, and if you are a smaller person, you might want a lighter blanket.  Over the past few weeks, I find that I not only fall asleep faster, but equally important, I stay asleep longer (I used to wake up many times at night). 

The outside cover of the weighted blanket unzips for machine washing.  The actual weighted blanket inside is supposed to only be washed by hand.  The weighed blanket (the one I have) is attached to the cover by many buttons, and I have not had a problem with the inside weights bunching up inside the cover (but I have heard that some of the less expensive blankets have that issue). 

I had luck with a weighted blanket, too.  It did take some getting used to because it can make turning over a little bit more effort than you’re used to.

I’d start off using it during the day to get used to the weight so one doesn’t become panicky.

My long term test report for weighted blanket is positive.

Firstly, I view my weighted blanket as part of a system to help me sleep.  The mind and body respond well to ritual.  I go to bed at the same time each night, having a glass of milk beforehand (tryptophan helps me sleep).  I don't take any over the counter sleeping pills, because they have side effects that I dislike (just true for me).  I keep my room slightly cold and dark as possible.  At low volume I play a little "natural sounds" of rain, because it helps me fall asleep (but that is just me).  My cat usually sleeps next to (or on top!) of me, and I like that.  I pull the weighted blanket up to my shoulders.  If I use other blankets, I put them on top of the weighted blanket, so they don't get compressed.  At 20 pounds, the blanket makes one feel very secure and safe.  I weight 170 pounds, and if you are a smaller person, you might want a lighter blanket.  Over the past few weeks, I find that I not only fall asleep faster, but equally important, I stay asleep longer (I used to wake up many times at night). 

The outside cover of the weighted blanket unzips for machine washing.  The actual weighted blanket inside is supposed to only be washed by hand.  The weighed blanket (the one I have) is attached to the cover by many buttons, and I have not had a problem with the inside weights bunching up inside the cover (but I have heard that some of the less expensive blankets have that issue).

That's great news! Is it okay if you post a link to the exact blanket you have? PM me, please, if necessary.

• 1 month later...
Is a weighted blanket too hot to use in the summer in the South (in the US)?  I sleep better with the added weight of blankets, but they are too hot in warmer weather.  Can someone recommend a specific brand and style of weighted blanket?  There are so many choices on Amazon that it makes my head spin!  I'd love to hear people's experiences with these blankets, especially in the summertime.

Try the $159 CuteKing weighted Heavy blanket 20 lbs or whatever is good for you. I have been using it in the south since February of this year. I sleep on top of the bed covers with only the blanket on top of me and I do not know if it is a placebo effect but my anxiety is minimal now. My sleep is also improved and sometimes when I sit in my recliner I drape it over me and it is so comfortable. It takes a few nights to get use to the weight but after that it is fine. It is not hot at all and actually it seems cool when you initially get under it. I leave the ceiling fan on low some nights and the temp set to 72. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it works for me.

Try the $159 CuteKing weighted Heavy blanket 20 lbs or whatever is good for you. I have been using it in the south since February of this year. I sleep on top of the bed covers with only the blanket on top of me and I do not know if it is a placebo effect but my anxiety is minimal now. My sleep is also improved and sometimes when I sit in my recliner I drape it over me and it is so comfortable. It takes a few nights to get use to the weight but after that it is fine. It is not hot at all and actually it seems cool when you initially get under it. I leave the ceiling fan on low some nights and the temp set to 72. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it works for me.

I want to thank you for this and other posts🌿

(Thank you so much for being yourself,you have helped me.)