Anyone else in a detox facility/ hospital right now ?

[Ru...]

I agree with Estée. I have never took more ativan than prescribed by me doctor (mostly I had an upper limit - never to go above 3mg, other times above 2 mg etc.) Nevertheless I got addicted simply by taking it everyday too long. I meet every criterion of addiction except from craving.

To be exact, the unit I am in focuses on dual diagnoses = mental health problem + addiction. In my case it is panic disorder and benzo dependence. All patients here are treated with respect and I do not feel to be in a better league than other patients with alcohol, cocaine or crystal meth problem. We all have a trouble, which got out of control and want to do something about it.

The therapies here are focused both on addiction and the underlying problem. Together with the nurses I choose which therapies make sense for me a week ahead. If I feel too sick I do not have to attend them.

I am sure many rehabs don't work this way, so I completely understand your mistrust, Windwalker.

Whenever people evaluate what rehab or inpatient means for another poster they are also considering the money end. It costs $4000 a day at the place I went for 7 days. I was covered for all of that and 5 half days support. But each day is another eval and you are pushing for every day. This is why rehab is prohibitive for benzo people.

So if you say you are in rehab for 6 weeks I don't think anyone knows how that gets done financially, and what kind of service is on offer at that price. They do say that everyones problems are the same, but you will find that other patients are feeling great and bouncing off the walls while you still might have 16 months of this to go, and it won't be in a hospital. It's intimidating.

Have a plan for when you are doing it at home. You are going to be glad to be home to do the major healing time, I think.

Hi Drad dog, I am in hospital, which is not the same as rehab (or am I mistaken? I am no expert on rehabs). My stay is covered by health insurance. As I wrote previously I was put on lexapro, which is really helping me to copy with the withdrawal. I also have one to one psychotherapy sessions, once or twice a week.

They are treating here my anxiety disorder, not merely taking me off benzos. I think that is the difference between hospital and rehab.

Have a plan for when you are doing it at home. You are going to be glad to be home to do the major healing time, I think.

Good point. Once you are well enough to attend therapy, it would make sense to take care both of the primary disease and of the benzo addiction/dependence. I have also gotten dual diagnosis. I became an accidental benzo addict at age 18. Didn’t know BDZ were addictive. Was able to control them for many yrs.

I did my first BDZ taper in Oct.-Dec. 2002 at home. Didn’t leave home for 3 mos. Also took an antidepressant (Zoloft), although I hated the sxs. When I tapered clorazepate to 0, I went to group therapy with recovering alcoholics. There was no group therapy for recovering benzo addicts. I attended that therapy three times a week for two years. I also went to one open AA meeting a week.

AA is not for everyone. Even some alcoholics manage to stay sober without AA. I adopted the AA philosophy in most part. It helps me a lot. Besides my group therapy for addiction, I had individual therapy for 9 yrs. I went there every week. This therapy addressed the underlying problem, which caused addiction.

As it was difficult in the beginning to overcome anxiety when going to group therapy/AA meetings, I took a tiny crumb of Propanolol or Vistaril before each session. Then I felt secure with those people and didn’t need any anti-anxiety meds. Just carried some in my handbag.

I think the beginning of my relapse was when some guy at AA meeting got on my nerves and I decided not to go there anymore. Great excuse. Any excuse is good to stop recovery and go back to the addictive substance. Cause the brain receptors never forget the initial bliss the substance gave them. Then I gave up individual therapy in 2012. I had another excuse. The therapist got on my nerves. And I had to commute long distances. Double excuse.

Afterwards I was just focused on making money. More and more and more. Also a kind of addiction. A means to fill the void in my life. In May 2014 I went back on benzos.

I think a priorities shift is needed. Your mental health and well-being should be your absolute priority. Cause without it, nothing else will be possible. And as long as you stay on ADs, you need a constant monitoring by a benzo-wise pdoc.

As to being in a rehab or in a hospital. Probably the situation is different in Europe and in the US. In Feb. 2016, I was in a hospital which had a unit specialized in BDZ WD. But I decided not to go there. I stayed for 8 days in a psych ward where they CTed my Ambien on the first day. They then tapered my Valium by 5 mg every second or third day, which was too fast.

I think that what is being described is something we think of as very rare here: A good longer term inpatient treatment for us. So good for you, and whatever you can share about how this can work, while you maintain your privacy, will be appreciated.

I'm glad to read that several of you have found decent treatment options and ones that are covered by insurance. As for me, I work in a career field that really emphasizes mental health awareness and treatment.....right up until you need it. Then your insurance won't cover it until you first pay out of pocket $10,000 (max out of pocket deductible) and then my employer will discretely discriminate against you through limiting promotion opportunities and assignments. You're already screwed physically and mentally, and seeking treatment adds a screwing financially and professionally. It's a damned if you, damned if you don't, situation.

Well then. Thats a different story. I somehow assumed you were in a 21 day rehab facility but instead it sounds like you be in a psyche ward. Is this correct? If so, by all means stay as long as you feel is needed. Ive been in rehabs for 21 days before and they assume you are cured by then because they have no idea how long benzo wd can last. It sounds like you have an open ended invitation and can stay as long as you wish. Many people do not have the opportunity to simply pack up and go to a hospital long term because they have no insurance nor hospitals that give freebies. You are very fortunate.  I wish you well and Godspeed!

Hi Windwalker,

I stay here for 6 weeks - it is the standard duration, covered by insurance. I can't prolong it, unless I would be in a bad shape, then they would keep me longer. Thankfully, it is a week since my jump from ativan and I am starting to feel better. Otherwise you are right, it is a psych.ward and I do feel fortunate to get this help. All the best to you!

• 3 weeks later...
How is the lexapro working for you? I was curious since some say it will make things worse before they get better, and I can't deal with anything worse at the moment.