Free since Nov 24, 2017

[Sh...]

I took Clonazepam from 2002 to 2017.  I started my taper in Sept 2015.  I jumped on November 24, 2017.

I did a micro taper for over a year, then as I got to .5mg I started breaking the pills and dry tapered. 

I jumped in November when I was tired of tapering so slowly and did not feel that I was having any serious WDs. I had always been terrified of jumping too quickly as I had experienced horrible WDs when tapering off of Seroquel in 2014. But, over time, I just wanted off of the benzo so at .12 mg I quit taking it. I have been fine since (although I will most likely suffer from bouts of situational anxiety and depression for life as I have a disabled person I have to care for and it takes a toll.)

I use self talk to try to cope and I remind myself of what I can and cannot control. Life is stressful folks and I think our brains can become wired to be anxious or depressed due to extreme stress. I also think some of us are predisposed to be more anxious or depressed. Negative bias is a form of self preservation and when one is stressed for long periods of time, stress hormones cause us to "feel threatened" and fear causes us to over-think (negatively in many cases) and then we become anxious and/or depressed. When I stop and think logically about why I am feeling anxious, I ask myself if I can fix or control the situation by worrying, and if not, then let it go. Deal with what happens IF and WHEN it happens and not think of the WHAT IFs. Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not. I am not a professional, so this is simply how I TRY to deal with my mental illness. If it is of use to anyone, great. Just know that we all do the best we can, and try not to compare your journey to someone else's as your experiences are uniquely YOURS.

I do use benadryl and melatonin to help me sleep, but I also had insomnia when I took the benzo, which was why I was prescribed the Seroquel. NOT GOOD.  WHO PRESCRIBES AN ANTIPSYCHOTIC FOR INSOMNIA????

I do believe in my case that I tapered as long as I did out of fear of potential severe withdrawals. I had read so many stories of those struggling to get off of benzos that I was just afraid to jump. I was fortunate that I had a smooth landing.  I also stopped reading stories about benzo WDs for months before I jumped, so the fear of WDs had subsided a good deal.

This does not mean that WDs are not real, it just means I was lucky.  I know WDs can be severe as I DID have serious WDs from the Seroquel and I would not wish that hell on anyone.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this in case it offers any hope to those still tapering. 

Hang tough and I wish everyone peace!

Shaani

Hi Shaani!

Thanks for your post!!!  I'm finishing my taper of Clonazepam in a few days.  My story sounds a bit similar to yours.  I ended up on Clonazepam during a horrible withdrawal from Zyprexa which is an anti psychotic.  I was given Zyprexa for chronic migraines and have been wondering why such a strong med would be prescribed.  She took me off of it c/t and changed my meds stating that the side effects long term were bad.  So now I'm tapering off of Clonazepam and am scared of the withdrawal.  Your story gives me hope that when I finish in a few days, I won't have horrible symptoms.