I have rekindled after 4 months of cold turkey

[Ze...]

I didn’t know what “paws” was or “rekindling” until it happened to me. Now I’m trying to find help getting off the last 4 mg of Valium. I’m scared and remember how horrible cold turkey was. (Done by a rehab center). I was taken off Percocet with suboxone and weaned off that as well. Now I’m having withdrawals from the little bit of Valium and not leveling off. So I have to just begin my taper because I’m not going to feel better until I get on with this. I need advice and support please!

Welcome to the forum! We're glad  to have you as a new member.  I'm sorry about you're detox experience - those of us who've gone through one know how dreadful the symptoms can be. 

You'll find lots of information and support here.  Our members have been through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to find  people who understand what you're going through.

For those who are starting a new taper, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days at first, and then adjusting the taper rate to suit your own needs.  One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a few months after discontinuing the medication.  First/only withdrawals after a slow taper tend to be easier than multiple reinstatements/withdrawals over time, which may make symptoms worse and longer lasting. The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but there are many others. These are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Withdrawal Support Board

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. Section III explains and describes symptoms, and there is also a section with suggested taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

I’ve been using benzodiazepines for longer than 20 years. I’ve been using them on a regular basis for about 7 years. I did use the Ashton Manual for the past year and couldn’t go any further on my own because I was weaning from Percocet as well. I did pretty well until I went to rehab and they took me off benzodiazepines cold turkey then sent me home after 5 days. Day 10 it hit me hard, and I was not told what would happen to me. I suffered terrible for months as many of you know. I’m not sure what happened but after 3 months I got a flu shot and everything went haywire. I thought I could take a couple of days on the benzo that I had to help a little. I only learned of rekindling after it happened. So my question (after checking in the Ashton Manual) says I can reduce by.5 mg every one to two weeks. I realize I will continue having withdrawals as I am now, but will it get much worse? Should I plow through for 8 weeks to get off of the 4 Mgs left? Scared and confused, comments appreciated

I’ve been back taking Valium 15 mgs for about a week in December, then because I was scared of the high dose and it wasn’t helping anything, I jumped down to 6 mgs, stayed there a few weeks, then down to 4 mgs. I’m miserable. I was stable at 4 but for some reason the symptoms got bad again. I decided that I wasn’t going to feel better so I cut a .5 mg out as of last Friday.  So all this started at the beginning of November. I’m feeling scared and worried about seizures. Is it possible that I could have one at this point? I’m dizzy today and have daily headaches.

It sounds like you have been on a benzo, tapering, since sometime in December.  So, maximum time, ten weeks?

If you are tapering you should not have a seizure.  It's almost always a cold turkey from a higher, consistent dose that causes seizures.  Although they are really feared, they are not that common unless you stop cold from a high dose taken over many many months or years.

I would find and stick with a taper you can tolerate.  Since you have not been taking them that long, you may want to taper ten to fifteen percent every ten to fourteen days.

Try not to worry act a seizure.  Highly highly unlikely, unless you had a pre- existing seizure disorder.

:smitten:

Carol

Thank you for answering. I’m really symptomatic, having loud ringing in my ears and terrible headaches. I usually have much burning in my hands, feet and head. I don’t suppose the symptoms will subside until I’m completely off the Valium? Is this the typical symptoms for most? And insomnia is so bad, which is why I’m going as fast as reasonably possible. Question is, should I just resign myself to the fact that I will just feel like this until it’s over and beyond? Anything encouraging or help to feel better would be a help. Thanks Carol Jean!