What if Diazepam is toxic to me after converting from Clonazepam to Diazepam?

[Ly...]

How can I know if Diazepam is toxic to me?  My pharmacogenomics testing suggested that there may be a gene/drug interaction.  Could this be

adding extra trauma and illness feelings to my tapering off of it?  I am having it very, very rough.  Would it be better to go to another benzo

and try to taper from that or stick this out?  I still have another 8 months or so to go!!!  Will be aiming to taper down .25 mg. since it is going

so hard with the .5 drops.

PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE will someone help me with this?  I had heard that you can have a toxic reaction to valium [diazepam] and need

to know if there is a way to tell?????

I am really hurting bad!  Desperate!  Thanks.

[72...]

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by ‘toxic,’ but I tried to cross over to Valium from Ativan and had to switch back to the Ativan.

Valium was simply too depressing for me – and profoundly so.

Not everyone experiences this though, and many of our members do fine tapering from Valium.

What are your symptoms?  I would think that switching already from two benzos and now onto the third is what is causing the problems.  Try to keep your dosage the same for a while to feel better. 

Hi l think what you are suffering is due to withdrawal symptoms.You have been through so much l believe you need to allow your brain to rest and stop tapering until things settle down a bit.You have been tapering very fast and you need to stop tapering while you are so symptomatic.l know you want off these drugs however you want to stay off so please be patient and give your brain time to recover a bit.

Thanks Stut55 for that information.  You are right, I am being too anxious to get off of this poison.  Greencup, I cannot list all of my symptoms.  There are 28 of them!  All grievous.  Most people cannot believe that I am even sane anymore.  Last withdrawal effort ended me in hospital.  Bladder was failing because extreme burning over entire body and feeling it down into my bones and muscles and my bladder.  Most horrible pain.  They treated me by re-instating the diazepam and discharged me with the diagnosis "anxiety!!!!!"  Notice they didn't mention the symptomatic withdrawal from the benzo's.  Benzo's never get blamed for our symptoms!  Also, I only switched once from Clonazepam to Diazepam.  If I am feeling so bad when I did the switch to Diazepam and continue feeling the depression I hadn't felt before, I was wondering if I could be having a "toxic" reaction since I heard that this was possible.  Can anybody with medical or scientific "know how" enlighten me with this possibility?  And if so, is there a test or anything that can indicate that this could be so?  My pharmacogenomic test revealed that I have a potential "gene-drug" interaction.  But I'm told these tests are not always accurate.  Hate to go back onto the Clonazepam since I hear it is a stronger benzo and doesn't come in the lower doses like the Diazepam.  Tried titrating Clonazepam before the Diazepam but that didn't work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I went in short order from sort of a foolish Dr. from Xanax, 4mg. a day then after a month Klonopin 3Mg's a day, to Valium 30mg 3 10Mg's a day. I feel nothing with the Valium. According to the Ashton manual 30mg of Valium is equivalent to .3 Xanax. That is 20 1mg of Valium. Valium is not toxic but as a benzo user for 30 years and tapering now which took two years the Valium really does nothing. I only deal with no sleep and the usual withdrawal symptoms. This is just my opinion do not worry too much about Valium, it is related to the Klonopin you were stepped down from. You are making great progress. Stick with the plan and taper per Dr or the Ashton manual.  It will be difficult, just take it slow and relieve yourself from that benzo as well. Good luck.  :)

Thanks for the reassurance.  The genetic testing cost almost 8 thousand bucks!  Financial help was available, so paid minimal.  So, this was not a simple 23andme test.  This test indicated that genetically I am not able to do well on the V.  It also suggested that my "serum level" may be too high, so lower doses may be required.  I am meeting with the psych dr. tomorrow and will ask her what all of this means.  The genetic testing also revealed that I have the MTHFR C677T gene.  Which means I have a reduced folic acid metabolism and things can get complicated on a genetic level with folate and B12 issues--which could affect anxiety and depression.  Not sure about a lot of that, either.  So, will be asking the dr.  Any thoughts?