My shorten story of my experience so far

[de...]

Hi - I am joining this forum because I have been tapering off Xanax. I starting taking it last year because I had medical problems and nausea and the Xanax only worked on the nausea. I was taking 0.25 when needed and it would vary from 0 a day to 3-4 pills a day. The doctor could not figure medically what my problem was so it blamed it on Anxiety. Well it was a hernia and a parathyroid condition. I must have been withdrawing during this time and did not know it.  I started having problems when I was on Lyrica for 1 month 100 mg and he had me cold turkey off it due to burning sensation. This was absolutely terrible! The doc prescribed Xefexor and other meds which made the burning worse almost unbearable. I went to a shrink who then put me back on the Effexor and the burning was terrible and refused to take it. Changed Shrink and he put me on a regulated dosage of Xanax and 0.50 4x a day.  After a month of that I had a sore throat which I could barely swallow, was put on antibiotics and the Xanax I fell off and was not taking it properly. Going through withdraws again.  My next visit to the doctor I told him I was taking the 0.25 5 times a day trying to get stable and I wanted to taper off them.  He reluctantly agreed. I had a physc test done which showed I lost my short term memory and cognitive fIunctions.  Doc said due to anxiety and wasn't sure what else involved in this loss. I have been tapering down for the last 71 days at 1/2 dose 0.125.  I have stopped at 0.25 1 a day in the morning as I feel I need to stabilize.  I have to take Hemp Oil CBD to help with the burning of my head, arms, back, throat. I have the hot/cold, insomnia, buzzing in the head, nausea, loud sounds bother me, and do not feel like doing much. I am now waiting to hear about a breast biopsy so another reason to stop the taper.  It has been 17 days since my last taper and I am hoping it will level out soon.

Hello debbiesz48 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community; you will get plenty of support here.  I am sorry you were forced to cold turkey from Effexor.  I can identify with some of the symptoms you describe, 'hot/cold, insomnia, buzzing in the head, nausea, loud sounds, all common withdrawal symptoms.  You are having a rough time right now, but it will get better, you will come through this.

If you have been taking benzodiazepines more than a few weeks, they should be tapered slowly. Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb, you can taper slower, the aim is to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

When you can, please add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita