I Need Klonopin Taper Advice (PLEASE READ)

[TB...]

I have been on a Klonopin Dose Of .5 2x Day for 4 months as of today. I want to taper off slowly, I was put on when starting SSRI which all have failed, I am now taking it just to avoid rebound Anxiety, I do suffer from G.A.D with some Panic but would like to be off this drug as its clearly starting to make me dependent and I have read the horror stories and dont want to go through that, I have 1 child with 1 on the way In May.

No doctor will cross me over to Valium so thats out of Question. I have the following doses .5 and .125 wafers I can work with for the taper.

I take .5 at 7am and .5 at 7pm.

I need the taper to be good enough where I can function, work and do things, everytime i go fast i fail, I want to be able to do this without other drugs that are used to avoid seizures etc so in my mind i know Im going slow enough to avoid anything fatal or damaging to my body.

I am so very desperate and am open to all advice.

I want to possibly be off by end of April if anyone thinks that is possible.

Thank You!!

Welcome to the forum! We're glad  to have you as a new member.

You'll find lots of information and support here.  Our members have been through all aspects of withdrawal, and you're likely to find  people who understand what you're going through.

For those who are starting a new taper, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days at first, and then adjusting the taper rate to suit your own needs.  One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal, especially near the end of a taper and for a few months after discontinuing the medication.  First/only withdrawals after a slow taper tend to be easier than multiple reinstatements/withdrawals over time, which may make symptoms worse and longer lasting. The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia, but there are many others. These are temporary and will go away in time.

Here are a few links you may find useful:

Withdrawal Support Board

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field. Section III explains and describes symptoms, and there is also a section with suggested taper schedules.

Please take the time to Create a Signature.  This will allow others to see where you are in the process so they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

Thank you very much, also to add would anyone reccomend dosing 3 times ×8 hours or everytime 12 with klonopin. I can cut the wafers in half as well, they won't be exact but very close to it.

Thanks !

Hi, I am currently tapering.

I'm at .2250mg started at .5mg.

I does 3 times per day around 9am, around 3pm and around 9pm.

Two doses per day should be ok, however at lower doses maybe 3 times a day might be better for you.

Best thing you can do is give it a try and see.

Thank you. since i have been on for 4 months would it be doable to taper like this.

.25 3xday 1 week

.125 x1 and .25x2 1 week

.125x2 and .25x1 1 week

.125 x3 and then cut out 1 dose each week.

That is a relatively small dose. I don't think it would be a good idea to up the amount of times that you take it in a day. They say that the more times its taken in a day the harder the withdraws. The good thing about .5 mg is that there is not much to step down from. Initially you are actually taking a total of 1 mg a day. My psychiatrist told me to step down a dose every 3 weeks. I think that would be minimal. I'm currently trying to taper off of the same thing at 1 1/2 mg a day. The slower the better maybe trying an 1/8 mg taper to start with unless you can get the dose lower. Just a thought. 

The more times I split doses per day the better my withdrawals are. Each person is different and each person has to find that sweet spot. Which may require changes as to how often to take doses. As others told me who already been through this.

my advice would be to take it nice and slow with the taper and go with the most conservative option

Trust that symptoms are temporary and allow yourself the freedom to use any distractions that help you cope.

you'll be fine. I'm going through it but with Xanax.

wishing you luck