If you had to reinstate a benzo, which one would it be?

[Ni...]

In 2015 i started my liquid clonazepam taper and it took me over a year to be benzo-free. The withdrawal effects lasted for 1.5 years or so.

Only the past 6 months i've been doing much better.

Due to some personal events, and events to come i recently totally lost it and had a nervous breakdown. I'm now yet again crippled with horrific anxiety and severe panic attacks. I MUST be able to work because other people are dependant on me. I have reinstated 0.25mg clonazepam / day, sometimes twice if the anxiety really becomes unbearable. I also have a whole bottle of diazepam 5mg lying around, so i'm doubting what would be the better choice to take?

Which benzo is easier to get off from? I remember that with clonazepam i reached tolerance pretty quickly and needed to increase the dose many times.

Isn't diazepam better to suppress anxiety? Clonazepam works great for panic attacks but it's mostly the crippling anxiety that i want gone so i can do my job.

I don't see the shrink until March 1st to ask for an SSRI or something else, so i need to make a choice clonazepam or diazepam.

Which benzo would you take if your life and of others depended on it?

(please don't advise me about herbs, breathing techniques etc. Those are not an option now due to the extreme situation i'm facing at the moment).

Thanks buddies!

There are anti depressants that work well for anxiety maybe you would be better with one of those.

I've started taking Sertraline again and it really calms me down.

Also, have you looked in to 5HTP and SAM-e? But they can't be taken at same time as anti depressants.

I would take one that I had not taken before, because they are all different and I don't think you get addicted to one taking the other.  I took klonopin for years and I got xanax as needed and I had NO PROBLEMS stopping xanax as needed after taking it that way for 5+ years but a helluva time stopping klonopin.

I've been on many ADs over the years and never had a problem reducing and stopping the.

Some people do though.

We are all different. Brains are the most complicated thing in existence there is no predicting this stuff.

I don't know what Valium is like, but I think I would choose it because there aren't many on Valium in the protracted section. I had Klonopin and Ativan, both TERRIBLE drugs. Not again!!!

Thanks for your replies!

I am going to ask for a SSRI, still reading which one might suit me best. I read some might be quite activating and i really don't want the anxiety to become worse.

I have tried clonazepam the first few days but it stops working within 4 hours or so and my thoughts keep ruminating, worry worry worry.

Yesterday i tried diazepam 5mg and that's really what i needed! It calms me down physically and mentally, the worrying becomes less.

But still, i see this as a temporary solution and want to try an SSRI or SNRI.

I NEVER again want to go through the same hell i endured with the clonazepam withdrawal, 3 years of my life gone like that, poof!

Thanks again guys, the help and understanding of the members on this board is so great. We all understand each other.

I would choose Valium! It has the longest half life so you will usually only need to dose 1x per day. Good luck! I hope you can find the right SSRI and kick the benzos all together.

I won't take a benzo ever again, but I didn't have any noticeable issues taking as-needed Lorazepam for about 4 years. My doctor switched me to Klonopin and it's been hell in many ways ever since.