isotretinoin

[ma...]

Hello,

Our dermatologist is considering to prescribe isotretinoin  to my teenage daughter to treat acne. However, I've read that  isotretinoin may affect the CNS, acting like an antidepressant or antipsychotic, and it has a range of frightening side effects, including depersonalization.

I'd be very thankful to anybody that shared information, experience or advice about this med. 

I used to take it for many yrs. Not good for the stomach. She would need probiotics. 100% safer than isotretinoin, which basically kills people along with their sebacious glands. I mean it destroys brain cells and causes severe suicidal depression.

It was meant to cure cancer, by annihilating cancer cells. But didn’t work in that field so they introduced it in dermatology. I’m always amazed by isotretinoin survivors. If anyone ever wants your daughter to take isotretinoin. Tell them to give it to their kids. Many dermatologists suggested this poison to me. Have done extensive research. I was shocked by the results.

Tetracycline doesn’t affect the CNS in any particular way. I would recommend it. If your daughter takes it too long, the propionibacterium acnes may become tolerant to it. And the acne may get worse. But it’s definitely beneficial for a teenager’s mood to have a clear skin. I’m an expert on acne, BTW :) Have perfect skin after many yrs of mental torture...

I took minocycline for acne for a while- maybe a few years with breaks in between.  Then it started to make me feel weird (depressed?) and eventually I got a rash.  I feel like you can take it for a few months and probably be okay, and maybe even longer, but I personally think creams and ointments are the safest for acne. 

Rash is one of the sxs. I suppose when rash occurs one should discontinue it. Also it’s preferable to avoid exposure to the sun and have occasional dentist check-ups. Maybe it would make sense to take probiotics and flaxseed in order to protect the stomach... I remember it was really harsh on my stomach. But never regretted having taken it, as it cleared my skin nicely. Acne can be a real nightmare for a teenager.

Have done a little research and minocycline really has those antidepressant and antipsychotic properties, as stated in this "Wikipedia" summary. Maybe that’s why I felt quite good on it. I think these are rather neuroprotective properties and shouldn’t be harmful. It is not used as an AD or an AP per se, only in adjunct treatment. I guess having acne may have a much more disastrous effect on your daughter’s psyche than minocycline sxs.

I used to take it for many yrs. Not good for the stomach. She would need probiotics. 100% safer than isotretinoin, which basically kills people along with their sebacious glands. I mean it destroys brain cells and causes severe suicidal depression.

It was meant to cure cancer, by annihilating cancer cells. But didn’t work in that field so they introduced it in dermatology. I’m always amazed by isotretinoin survivors. If anyone ever wants your daughter to take isotretinoin. Tell them to give it to their kids. Many dermatologists suggested this poison to me. Have done extensive research. I was shocked by the results.

Tetracycline doesn’t affect the CNS in any particular way. I would recommend it. If your daughter takes it too long, the propionibacterium acnes may become tolerant to it. And the acne may get worse. But it’s definitely beneficial for a teenager’s mood to have a clear skin. I’m an expert on acne, BTW :) Have perfect skin after many yrs of mental torture...

My daughter is on isotretinoin, I called it minocycline by mistake, how awful :( I'm very worried and I've resisted a long time but she was so unhappy, always at home, missing classes, etc. I'll continue this post later because I'm not feeling well.

The initial post was corrected.

I understand how you feel, Magnesi. You shouldn’t absolutely blame yourself. You have a lot on your plate. And your daughter’s dermatologist probably didn’t inform you about the isotretinoin risks.

Many ppl survive isotretinoin short-term treatment and have a much better skin as a result. I was suggested to take it at least a dozen times and I declined. Even a professor of dermatology told me to take isotretinoin. I was very tempted to try it. As acne was one of the things I hated most in my life. It was impossible with all the knowledge I gained. I wouldn’t certainly give it to my child if I knew about the risks. You just didn’t know. Once again, you trusted the doctor. Who probably wasn’t educated enough.

Many dermatologists are completely brainwashed by isotretinoin producer (Roche). Incredible money is at stake here. They also receive huge rewards, both financial and material, for prescribing this dangerous, costly med. Isotretinoin should be taken with a BC, as it may cause severe malformations of the foetus.

Even women who use topical vitamin A treatments are warned against getting pregnant. For me, both Zorac 0,5% and Epiduo were very helpful. Both are vitamin A derivatives. Just like isotretinoin. However, they are applied topically. Only the tiniest fraction can get into the bloodstream and be carried to the brain.

If you want to be more informed on risks associated with isotretinoin, here’s a useful scientific article. I would discontinue the treatment. It’s too risky. It probably carries most risks in individuals genetically predisposed to depression.

I studied the reports submitted to FDA. Most of the fatalities concerned polydrugged people with underlying mental conditions. Difficult to say whether these conditions were aggravated by isotretinoin use. But I suspect they were. How long has your daughter been on isotretinoin? I suppose time is an important factor here.

I suggest you watch some YouTube vids, like

. There are many safer treatments for acne. Accutane is big money and will continue to be sold to ppl. It’s now sold even online. All those ppl who take it are desperate to get rid of their acne. Even by risking their own life in the process. I guess it’s better and also effective to treat acne in a less dangerous way. Not at the risk of one’s life. I’m very sorry you have to go through all this, Magnesi.

If your daughter acne gets worse after isotretinoin discontinuation. She may always be given some of the antibiotics from the tetracycline group. There are many great topical treatments. Proper nutrition and vitamins are extremely important. I’m here to offer any advice, as I have fought acne for many years. Diane-35 is also efficient for acne short-term. I wouldn’t recommend it, unless acne gets really severe. Even sunshine or a tanning bed from time to time is safer than isotretinoin, IMO. Take care.