Starting my journey towards tapering off klonopin - schedule and dosage Q

[jo...]

Hello all!  I just signed up for this amazing forum.  The info and support here seems incredible.  I am very optimistic that with the help of the forum, I will be off benzos for good.  Hoping to reduce any long term issues, tho I already experience memory loss, sleeplessness, still with the anxiety, and also some OCD.  Here is my intro if anyone wants to read it.....

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=197665.msg2574717#msg2574717

Basically I was on xanax about 7 years (family issues, etc) then switched to klonopin (about 3 years now) to get off the xanax. Now about to begin a klonopin taper, not sure which method yet cause I'm going to try to avoid the substitution method.  Don't want to add another med to the mix.  My current dosage is sporadic, erratic, "as-needed", etc.  Averaging 1.5 mg per day, sometimes I don't take any in a day.  Occasionally I take 2mg in a day.  So my thoughts are to get on a steady dose.....thinking .5 either twice or three times a day.  Once I settle into that for maybe 2 weeks I could then start the taper.  Or should I stay on steady schedule longer before I begin the taper?  Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!

Can't help but wonder what will happen once I successfully taper off and then get bad anxiety.  I'll be reading more about that.  For now looking for feedback on where I should be before I start the taper.  And what non-sub taper method would be good.  The Ashton manual included valium as a substitute.  I'd like to avoid that if possible.  Also concerned about sleep as I sometimes take klonopin to sleep.  The melatonin helps sometimes, not always.  It's like I can't shut off my brain at night.  Thank you!

Hello just checking in.  Day 4 of being on a regular dosage.  I'm taking .5mg klonopin 3x per day.  I must admit, just being on a regular schedule feels tremendously different.  I was using sporadically as needed and now with this regiment, I feel better, very little if any anxiety.  I guess the routine meds are keeping things in check.... for  now... I almost feel like I can get by with only 2x per day.  We'll see...... Any advice on this appreciated.  Thanks.

The weird thing is, and I just realized this.....I'm starting this regular schedule into the low taper at a point in my life where things have never been more stressful.  I think the only thing getting me through is the fact of knowing that I could be med free, non reliant upon these pills.  Really though, I feel like the guy in the Airplane movie who says he picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.  Seriously though, I think the regular dosage is whats making this all happen so far so good at this particular stressful time. 

Hi Jorgan55,

Glad it is going well for you on a stable dose. Here are my thoughts:

1.  I would suggest that you speak to your doctor if he/she is willing to help. I found my doctor to be a tremendous support during my tape.

2.  If you feel good at .5mg 3x day, I would stay here until you have about 7-10 days of feeling well.  I also wouldn't go up and down.  Pick a dose and stay on that dose.

3.  I was on Klonopin .5mg three times a day.  A good strategy from my doctor was to move to 2x day.  So we worked on reducing the mid-day dose first.

4.  I used liquid Klonopin to make the cuts and dosing easier for me.

5.  My hardest days happened 4 days after a cut.  Just know this may happen.

6.  I had sleeping issues like you.  I used Benadryl (also suggested by my doctor) and it also helped with my stomach issues and migraines.

So these are just my thoughts.  I wish you the best. I am confident you can do this!