Sedation for a surgical procedure during protracted withdrawal?

[Ba...]

I am 19 months post taper and still have several symptoms like DP/DR anxiety depression cortisol mornings head pressure irrational fear etc. I will be put under for a needed surgical procedure. I have on my records that no benzos are to be used. Other than that I’m wondering if the other common knock out drugs can or will complicate my withdrawal. Hate to go backwards in this whole withdrawal process. Naturally the doctor says there is no way possible that I’m still having symptoms this far out since the benzo are out of my system. Any thoughts or past experiences?

Hi,

This is a touchy subject, but Professor Ashton says one-time doses of benzos are usually OK for major surgical procedures.  I had major surgery three years ago, and they did use midazolam to put me under.  In my case, there were no long or short term effects that I could see.  This is something some of us do without problems, but you'll have to decide for yourself how you want to proceed.

:smitten:

I've had 3 shoulder surgeries after my jump off from benzos. Benzos are listed on my allergy chart.  For all my surgeries I made sure the anesthesiologist was willing to respect my decision about benzos.  I was given propofol for the anesthetic and a small amount of fentanyl pre surgery.

pianogirl

Badben,

What drugs do they want to give you ? I'd want to avoid a benzo if possible. Usually there are alternatives. Do not expect doctors to understand benzo W/D.

I’m not sure what the doctor wants to use yet. My meeting is next week with the surgical doctor and I am going to stress that benzos are out of the question. My family doctor refuses to accept the fact that I’m still feeling the effects this far out. He says benzo withdrawals only last 2 weeks or so. He only wants to give me more meds. My only complaint when this all started back in 2015 was insomnia. Now he says I have developed anxiety and depression and I need to be medicated for it the rest of my life. Lol. What a salesman!!!!!

MY anesthesiologist wanted to give me a combo of propofol. Versed and fentanyl. I told her I do now want all three as I felt it was unnecessary. She still wanted to give me them and I told her I hope your Mal practice insurance is up to date. I got the propofol and that was it. It turned out to be fine.