Switching to longer acting benzos – pros and cons

[Ha...]

Hi everyone! I have a dilemma and need some advice please. I live in Australia and X is becoming very difficult (and very expensive) to obtain. First the authorities made X a schedule 8 drug, and  now they have reduced the bottle quantity from 50 tablets down to only 10 tablets. Doctors  also now have to apply for special permission to prescribe X long-term, putting extra pressure on (and incentive for) doctors to prescribe other benzos instead.

I’ve always been prescribed 150 tablets (.5mg) a month by my GP. The upshot is to have my script filled now costs about 3 times more than it did only a couple of months ago and I have to buy 15 bottles to fill the current prescription!  :o

Been researching available local support and I’ve joined an online university study program which somewhat follows the Ashton method of slow reduction (though they recommend a decrease of between 10% - 15%). Their advice is to stabilize (which I’ve done) then next step is to switch to a longer acting benzo over a period of about a month. I just don’t want to take the risk of that having an adverse effect, I've never been on other benzos before. I prefer to just liquid taper from X, and reduce daily. I feel unless I follow their advice I won’t be supported by my doctor or their program who also work with volunteer counselors. My body copes quite well with 6 hour daily between doses of X, and if I wake in the early hours of the morning I don’t experience any noticeable sxs. I can easily go from 9pm until 9am without any obvious withdrawal symptoms.

Anyone’s switch experiences (either good or bad) would be much appreciated.  :smitten: Harmonee

I never took xanax (the one I didnt!), so no direct experience. I dont think you should be afraid to do the crossover, it really helped me to switch from Klonopin which is longer acting than Xanax. Since you have support to taper and since the xanax is becoming difficult to get it might be the best route. Are you taking 2.5mg X per day? If so, that's 50 mg V equivalent. You might want to talk to your providers about tapering directly on xanax first to a lower dose before doing the crossover. Then you would know how the direct taper works for you, which might make you feel more confident about your decision either way. Good luck!

JKS

I never took xanax (the one I didnt!), so no direct experience. I dont think you should be afraid to do the crossover, it really helped me to switch from Klonopin which is longer acting than Xanax. Since you have support to taper and since the xanax is becoming difficult to get it might be the best route. Are you taking 2.5mg X per day? If so, that's 50 mg V equivalent. You might want to talk to your providers about tapering directly on xanax first to a lower dose before doing the crossover. Then you would know how the direct taper works for you, which might make you feel more confident about your decision either way. Good luck!

JKS

Hi JustKeepSwimming, thanks for replying, it's so good to reach out and know someone is there!  I freaked out a bit when I read they suggested crossover as step 2 (unless you are over 65, apparently due to slower metabolism).  I'm on a total of 1.5mg daily of X. From what I've read, K is much like X but is longer acting, is that right? I had completely made up my mind just to start liquid tapering without having to crossover, then I read about the crossover step...yikes  :o Oddly I'm "stable" on X but know I have to come off it for many reasons as you pointed out. I'm seeing my doctor in a few weeks and I would love to be open with her but too worried she will just make me switch to another benzo.

I would like to be honest with them all and discuss the option of liquid tapering but I am fearful they will reject me. They say it is ok to crush the tablets, so I cannot see why they haven't thought to suggest to take a more accurate dose in liquid form. I guess it is too contentious and might sound like an amateur drug lab to the outside world? (the world to me right now is BB and far from "amateur"!  :laugh:) Harmonee

My strong suggestion is to taper X directly, without a switch or crossover to diazepam. Switching drugs can cause problems. Theory/experience.

Diazepam is just a very different benzo. I think they should be willing to accomodate if you´re serious about tapering ?