Family doctor, 2 psychiatrists, two MDs adviced me to jump at .25mg lorazepam

[...]

And even the pharmacist,

Told me that it will be uncomfortable for a while but better than tapering at this point, which only prolongs the dependency.

Does it sound like a sane thing to do?

Also would appreciate any advise on what to do instead.

Liquid Ativan doesn't seem to work for me. Called a compounding pharmacy to cut me the pills, told me they can't do that. And is going to be expensive. I can't seem to be able to cut more than 1/8 of a pill. And that is also not very accurate.

I’m looking at your signature. Did you really only take it once a day for 9 days? That’s not enough time to develop a dependency that warrants a taper. I see you added Lexapro on 1/31 - Lexapro put me through hell when I started taking it, I couldn’t make it through the first week and had to stop, it made me feel like I was on speed. Panic attacks, nonstop tachycardia, sweating, shakes... it was horrible.

Unless I’m missing something with regard to your time on Ativan, you should be able to discontinue it with minimal discomfort (most likely rebound insomnia for a few days) but adding in an SSRI that’s known for being particularly difficult to adjust to (Lexapro is the most selective SSRI there is - the higher the selectivity, the worse it is to adjust to generally) and not knowing any other med history makes it more complicated.

So you think I should just man-it-up?

The local pharmacist advised me to take it only once at night for several days and then stop taking it.

Btw, GP prescribed lorazepam for insomnia in the first place.

I do not have other history of medication.

It sounds tempting to stop lexapro too, just not sure I should do both at the same time.

Please tell me I am doing the right thing by stop taking it.

The local pharmacist advised me to take it only once at night for several days and then stop taking it.

It sounds tempting to stop lexapro too, just not sure I should do both at the same time.

:thumbsup:

Hi kuku-

You are down to such a low dose. Also considering the time frame you have been taking benzo, I think you may be ok to stop taking it. It can be the other medication causing these symptoms as well.

I actually agree with the doctors and psychiatrists in this situation.  Hopefully after a week or two you will feel okay.  I would definitely try it because you really don't want to make a dependency if there isn't one yet.

You’re doing yourself a disservice if you taper as opposed to jumping off in my opinion. This is one of those rare instances that I agree with the doctors. You don’t have a dependency right now, it’s all psychological.

For insomnia, they should pull you off Lexapro and give you trazodone, low dose mirtazapine, or hydroxyzine. If you don’t have depression issues, you don’t want to mess with Lexapro and even if you do, I would recommend cognitive behavioral therapy over the medication train because once you’re on, it’s damn near impossible to jump off.

You’re doing yourself a disservice if you taper as opposed to jumping off in my opinion. This is one of those rare instances that I agree with the doctors. You don’t have a dependency right now, it’s all psychological.

For insomnia, they should pull you off Lexapro and give you trazodone, low dose mirtazapine, or hydroxyzine. If you don’t have depression issues, you don’t want to mess with Lexapro and even if you do, I would recommend cognitive behavioral therapy over the medication train because once you’re on, it’s damn near impossible to jump off.

I think you are very right about lexapro. I felt bad for not sleeping and trusted doctors which said that lexapro will help with insomnia by reducing anxiety.

Btw trusted the doctor with lorazepam for insomnia too. I had no ideea what i was getting. Doctor told me ' take it and dont think about it'. No discussion no warning nothing. Later he prescribed me olizapine (not sure i spelled it correctly. Tho i didnt take any of it)

Looking back i wish i would havs tried supliments first.

Anyway one drug at the time.

Trazadone scared me with some erections that were not to bad. And also after 2 nights 50mm didnt put me to sleep anymore and was afraid to increase it. Tried mirtazapine 2 nights  and felt really letargic at a very small dose. Benadryl worked for 2 nights tho it was not restful and ultimelly there is no drugs long term solution for insomnia.  From what i hear on forums only long term addiction problems comes from using these drugs.