I just want to live again

[Mi...]

Hi guys,

I decided to join BenzoBuddies 'cause I need your supports in my fight. I've been taking clonazepam for 7 years. My starting dose was 0,5mg, my final dose 1,5mg, sometimes 2mg daily. I started tapering in September, currently, I'm taking 0,5mg daily. It wasn't so hard until now...

Hello Mishah,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Congratulations on doing so well on your taper so far.  To be honest, you started at a pretty high dose of a very strong benzo, clonazepam.  Your taper has been faster than what is suggested, so I'm not surprised you are feeling the effects of withdrawal now. Additionally, many people feel more intense symptoms as the doses get lower. 

I tapered from a much lower dose and it took me 8 months to complete the taper and now that I know more about withdrawal, I see that even my taper was too fast. Generally, a slow taper can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  It is suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  It's also important to listen to your body and adjust the rate if necessary. Benzo withdrawal is not a race, slow and steady is the way to go.  I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

I'm glad you've joined the forum.  You'll find many people who can relate to what you are experiencing.  While that doesn't make withdrawal easier, it can help knowing that you are not alone. We'll be happy to encourage and support you as you journey towards benzo freedom. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Thank you, all:) Maybe I've been tapering too fast, the reason is that I've become really depressed and anxious on clonazepam...so I just want to get it out of my system. Well, I'm now on 0,1875mg (approximately) in the morning and 0,25mg in the evening and will see...I don't plan to lower the dosage so soon, I will stay on it till April probably, 'cause I'm taking caregiver lessons and though they are easy, I'm afraid I could have problems with passing the final test. Maybe I should switch to diazepam according the Ashton manual...will see how I will progress.

I feel more depressed than last year definitely, derealization is permanently horrible...but I feel less anxious, though my last period caused me to feel so anxious for a week or so that I kept praying all days long in my mind.

I will post other posts in other threads naturally, I just wanted to say 'thanks' actually.:)