Most effective AD for panic and anxiety disorder?

[Ni...]

I completed my clonazepam taper around 2 years ago, thing were finally going well these past 6 months, most post-withdrwal symptoms vanished and i started to feel like a human being again. I still had anxiety (GAD) but it was manageable without meds.

Unfortunately anxiety has been building up due to so many bad stressors lately that i at one point completely lost it, i had to go to ER to receive a benzo.

Some extreme events have and are happening this moment and will happen within the next 6 months (financially) and i can't take it anymore. Especially because my actions will severely impact my loved ones, that's really killing me from the inside.

I have GAD, social anxiety and panic&anxiety disorder. The panic happens several times a day now, extreme.

I feel like i'm losing my mind, keep vomiting and explosive D, losing weight rapidly, a severe fight or flight reaction.

I want to try an SSRI but at the moment i need to temporarily go back on benzo's, i hope only for a very short time. Looking for advice.

No, counseling is not an option now, i need to stabilize first. Herbs won't even touch the state i'm in, and no breathing only helps so much.

What i'd like to know is which SSRI, antipsychotic or TCA do you people find most suitable for panic&anxiety disorder? I really hate to go back on clonazepam longterm and face another brutal (kindling) withdrawal period afterwards.

So sorry Nick. I hope things get better for you. I don’t have any advice for you but I can tell you that I think Zoloft is the lesser of all evils. After is off I think Lexapro is also tolerable By some.  I feel you. I’m not as far out as you are  but my anxiety definitely Comes and goes.

Thanks for your reply caligrl. Do you know if paxi is tolerated by most?

I tried a SSRI just once like 5 years ago, i think it was paxil and it made my anxiety go through the roof, just one single pill. So it must be one that i do tolerate.

I also have gabapentin and baclofen on hand, maybe i can add that inbetween the clonazepam doses. It's not good to self medicate but my experience with psychiatrists is they really don't understand us benzo-damaged people.

Thanks for your reply caligrl. Do you know if paxi is tolerated by most?

I tried a SSRI just once like 5 years ago, i think it was paxil and it made my anxiety go through the roof, just one single pill. So it must be one that i do tolerate.

I also have gabapentin and baclofen on hand, maybe i can add that inbetween the clonazepam doses. It's not good to self medicate but my experience with psychiatrists is they really don't understand us benzo-damaged people.

Try and get a TCA as they don't have the start up problems of ssri's increasing anxiety generally. Mirtazapine is good but it quit working for me after a few months and now I'm stuck with it. Avoid gabapentin and pregabalin if you can but if you are really desperate do what you've got to do. Good luck.

Staz

Ah, i read that TCA have more side effects, expecially more anxiety and stimulating than SSRI's?

It depends which one. They do have more side effects but most of it is dry mouth etc. I found lofepramine gave me bad sleep so switched to dosulepin.

• 1 month later...
Hi I'm late and dont know if you started on AD's but I've just been precribed zoloft for my anxiety and panic disorder. I hope you  calm down soon and find relief. I've talked to many people who are on AD's and their anxiety is gone.

Hi Rickatu, i hope you'll find some relief with zoloft.

I have tried zoloft a few weeks ago but just a low dose already made me feel kinda hypomanic.

I have to go back to the doc. next week and will ask for mirtazapine, or otherwise zoloft again but at a lower dosage.

I'm scared of the possible start-up symptoms like increased anxiety, i really can't have that right now!

P.s. i'm already off the diazepam, i've only been on it for 7 or 8 weeks incl. the taper.

I've noticed that time went by so fast, i can't believe it's been 6 weeks ago that i started this thread. And that's exactly how i feel about the years i was on clonazepam, i have little recollection of what happened back then, like a big black hole in my life!

I screwed up so much, i really hope the AD will be able to dampen the pain somewhat.

Nick I can totally relate, If you need someone to talk to while going through this I'm here. Pm me anytime. My first month was actually great. my second month on the other hand was absolutely horrendous so I know how you feel. I still have anxiety but it is no where near what it was like those first couple of months. So trust that it does get better - way better.

I just haven't gotten over the depression and the anxiety isn't completely gone so I'm hoping the Zoloft will help. I haven't started yet cause am afraid of the side effects.