End of xanax taper pain.

[...]

Hello, I have been tapering Xanax since January 2015. It has taken so long, but I have gotten so damn sick from w/d at times. I was prescribed 2 mg a day during nursing school 18 yrs ago. It was here I learned how to do a micro taper, and thank-God because there is no other way I could try to get off this. I am now down to 0.045 mgs/ 24 hrs, divided into 5 doses via liquid taper. I have had several symptoms r/t w/d. The worst being my whole GI system. What is going on now is periods of severe pain in my back up high between my spine and shoulder blade. I think I am getting spasms because the next day the top of my shoulders are hard and very sore. The last few days have been sporadic and when it happens it is debilitating, I cannot get in a comfortable position and it hurts to breath at times. I do get some relief, when my hubby massages the spot and I take an NSAID, enough to be able to go to sleep at night until the pain wakes me up 3-4 hours later. It has almost brought me to tears at times. It is so weird, it comes and goes. I have Flexeril, it helps a little, but it seems the spasms are more powerful. I have been doing stretches, it helps. Has anyone else experienced this? It kind of scares me, I worry about having lung cancer. TIA, Rose

Hi rdb, my goodness it sounds like your're going through hell  :( You have been SO patient too, taking 3 years to taper off. I'm so sorry for you!! Sounds lame but have you tried a heat pad to ease the pain?

I'm about to start micro-tapering, and did some math on Excel which suggests (at a 10% reduction) I won't be off 1.5mg X for 18 months. I thought that is a long taper!! How wrong was I in comparison to you!! Did you liquid taper daily, hold then cut again? Was there anything you would have done differently with the benefit of hindsight? Sorry for asking when you're in so much pain. I don't expect a reply.

I really feel for you and I"m so sorry you are suffering and for so long. I hope things ease soon  :smitten: Harmonee

Hey rdb,

Probably not lung cancer. I always worried the w/d issues were something else, probably because the pains/symptoms are so weird but real at the same time. Withdrawal issues are oddly migratory. It does seem likely your muscles, particularly in your back for whatever reason, are reacting to the lower doses. I had full-body muscle spasms/tremors for quite some time.

It sounds like you are utilizing some good self-care options. I responded well to supplementing with magnesium glycinate. It helped relax the muscles. If you are adverse to supplements, soaking in Epsom salts which is basically magnesium transdermally, is also helpful.

Keep up the good work and hang in there, your patience with your taper will pay off.

Dave