Need advice please!

[Ti...]

I was on 4mg short term, had to reinstate Doctor made me taper to fast. Oh hold 6 months,

Got off 2 mg, cut .25 every three weeks.  Started to taper 2 mg again. I am holding at 1.25 for a little over 4 weeks.  Very anxious and tinnitus very loud, hard to sleep.  Not feeling well.  I believe I

tapered to fast .25 every two weeks.  Should I go up to 1.50, reinstate to 2.0 or just continue to hold.

Then go more slowly.  I’m dry cutting.  Thanking you in advance.  Tina

I was on 4mg short term, had to reinstate Doctor made me taper to fast. Oh hold 6 months,

Got off 2 mg, cut .25 every three weeks.  Started to taper 2 mg again. I am holding at 1.25 for a little over 4 weeks.  Very anxious and tinnitus very loud, hard to sleep.  Not feeling well.  I believe I

tapered to fast .25 every two weeks.  Should I go up to 1.50, reinstate to 2.0 or just continue to hold.

Then go more slowly.  I’m dry cutting.  Thanking you in advance.  Tina

Valium can be tricky to taper due to this long half life. Cuts can creep up on you weeks later. As you get lower in dose your cut % becomes greater. At 1.5mg reducing .25mg is a 17% reduction. Faster  than the recommended 10%. This may be why symptoms have escalated. Maybe try to go back up to 1.75 or 2mg & hold till you feel well enough to move forward with your taper again. Then continue to taper at a rate that is more comfortable for you. :thumbsup:

Thank you Bela Amis.  Is it ok to reinstate after holding over 4 weeks? If I do I don’t know how to

Lower the% dry cutting.  Would you be willing to help and give me a schedule.  I’m not very good

At math.  I am 79 years old and would appreciate your help.  Tina

Thank you Bela Amis.  Is it ok to reinstate after holding over 4 weeks? If I do I don’t know how to

Lower the% dry cutting.  Would you be willing to help and give me a schedule.  I’m not very good

At math.  I am 79 years old and would appreciate your help.  Tina

Hi Tina3-

You are welcome!

At this point it would be ok to reinstate to a dose you feel comfortable at.

I would be  willing to help you with dry cutting schedule, absolutely!

You may get more help & responses if you post here in the general tapers board:

General Taper Plans

Hi Bela Amis, 

You have made me feel better already. I’ve been feeling so alone in this struggle. My psychologist

Is no help at all and is closing her practice.

Will you able to send me a taper schedule as soon as you get a chance.  I will probably

Reinstate to 2.0 mg.  Thank you so much for your kindness.  Tina

Hi Bela Amis, 

You have made me feel better already. I’ve been feeling so alone in this struggle. My psychologist

Is no help at all and is closing her practice.

Will you able to send me a taper schedule as soon as you get a chance.  I will probably

Reinstate to 2.0 mg.  Thank you so much for your kindness.  Tina

I am glad you are feeling better already. I am sorry your psychologist is closing her practice. Are you looking for another psychologist? It is important to have help if difficult symptoms arise while you are tapering. My psychologist gave me some great coping skills to help with difficult withdrawal symptoms. I do hope you find another psychologist soon.

Are you comfortable with dry cutting your tablets into small pieces, say 1/8 pieces? If so I will begin to work on a schedule for you dry cutting & perhaps shaving if you have difficulty cutting up & dividing your tablets into small 1/8th pieces. :)

I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychologist.  I do feel comfortable dry cutting into

1/8 pieces.  I really can’t thank you enough.  You are making it so much easier for me.  Tina

I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychologist.  I do feel comfortable dry cutting into

1/8 pieces.  I really can’t thank you enough.  You are making it so much easier for me.  Tina

Great Tina!

No worries....I will get right on that taper schedule.  :thumbsup:

:smitten:

Hi Tina-

I read thorough your posts carefully. I see that you were rapid tapered, updosed & holding for 6 months due to increased symptoms from cutting .25mg every three weeks. Cutting up tablets smaller than 1/8 is rather difficult if not impossible. Because you were dropping .25mg (1/8) every 3 weeks & suffered, I would not suggest going this route again.  I would suggest for you to see if your local pharmacy can compound your doses every month. This may be much easier for you & more accurate as well. If compounded doses is not an option for you, I would then suggest to see if your doctor can prescribe you Pharmaceutical liquid Valium. The liquid is nice because it is easier for you tp adjust your doses if you need to go slower due to increases symptoms. Another advantage is you then don't have to mess around with tablets or having the pharmacy compound your doses. If the pharmeceutical liquid Valium is not an option, many make their own liquid. This is usually a last resort. So why not consider all of these factors/options & let me know what you think about these alternatives to dry cutting.

Plan #1  Have your local pharmacy compound your doses.                                                                           

Week                AM                PM              Total              Tablets

Dose mg      Dose mg            mg              Needed

Start                  1                  1mg                2               

1 - 2              .95                  .95                1.90              28 - .95

3 - 4              .90                  .90                1.80              28 - .90

5 - 6              .85                  .85                1.70              28 - .85

7 - 8              .80                  .80                1.60              28 - .80

9 - 10            .75                  .75                1.50              28 - .75

11 - 12            .70                  .70                1.40              28 - .70

13 - 14            .65                  .65                1.30              28 - .65

15 - 16            .60                  .60                1.20              28 - .60

17 - 18            .55                  .55                1.10              28 - .55

19 - 20            .50                  .50                  1                28 - .50

21 - 22            .45                  .45                  .90              28 - .45

23 - 24            .40                  .40                  .80              28 - .40

25 - 26            .35                  .35                  .70              28 - .35

27 - 28            .30                  .30                  .60              28 - .30

29 - 30            .25                  .25                  .50              28 - .25

31 - 32            .20                  .20                  .40              28 - .20

33 - 34            .15                  .15                  .30              28 - .15

35 - 36            .10                  .10                  .20              28 - .10

37 - 38              .5                    .5                  .10              28 - .05

DONE

================================================

Plan #2 Use Pharmaceutical liquid Valium  5:5  (1ml=1mg)                                                                         

Week                AM                PM                Total           

Dose ml        Dose ml          ml/mg           

Start                  1                  1mg                2               

1 - 2              .95                  .95                1.90             

3 - 4              .90                  .90                1.80             

5 - 6              .85                  .85                1.70             

7 - 8              .80                  .80                1.60             

9 - 10            .75                  .75                1.50           

11 - 12            .70                  .70                1.40             

13 - 14            .65                  .65                1.30           

15 - 16            .60                  .60                1.20             

17 - 18            .55                  .55                1.10             

19 - 20            .50                  .50                  1               

21 - 22            .45                  .45                  .90             

23 - 24            .40                  .40                  .80             

25 - 26            .35                  .35                  .70               

27 - 28            .30                  .30                  .60             

29 - 30            .25                  .25                  .50               

31 - 32            .20                  .20                  .40               

33 - 34            .15                  .15                  .30               

35 - 36            .10                  .10                  .20               

37 - 38              .5                    .5                  .10             

DONE

I appreciate your time spent on this schedule.  My Doctor will not give me liquid valium and my pharmacy will not compound the doses.  I really don’t know how to do a liquid taper.  It all looks so confusing to me.  I and my husband thank you for everything you have done for me.  Tina 

No problem!

Another option is to use a gram scale & weight each tablet & remove the reduction. This method can be just a confusing as the titration. The only other method that I am aware of is this....

This is a plan that a person used to successfully taper Valium. She was in the same predicament. Liquid & compounding pharmacy & gram scale were not feasible options nor could she accurately cut up her tablets small enough to taper properly. The following method may seem different but it worked well for her. Consider this:

Plan #3

Cut 1 - 2mg tablets in half. Place a emery board on flat surface. Take each 1 mg tablet & swipe it along the emery board creating a 1 inch visible line. Use this same line every day to swipe the 1mg tablet(s). These will be your 2 daily doses. Increase swipes by 1 everyday. Use a calendar to record the number of swipes each day. Keep swiping each day till the tablet(s) are gone.

Day            AM                PM                         

Start        1mg              1mg                                       

1            1 swipe          1 swipe

2            2 swipes        2 swipes

3            3 swipes        3 swipes

4            4 swipes        4 swipes

5            5 swipes        5  swipes

etc.

Swipe till the tablet is gone!

Is it possible to still give me a schedule to try cut 2 mg valium.  I would appreciate it very much.

I’ll bring everything to my Dr tomorrow to see what he thinks.  Tina

Is it possible to still give me a schedule to try cut 2 mg valium.  I would appreciate it very much.

I’ll bring everything to my Dr tomorrow to see what he thinks.  Tina

Hi Tina-

I did not have time to check this for errors. I hope it is ok. Good luck at the doctors tomorrow!

Plan #4  Reduce 10% every 14 days by cutting 2mg tablets.

Cut Tablet Equivalencies:

1/2 of 2mg tablet = 1mg

1/4 of 2mg tablet = .50mg

1/8 of 2mg tablet = .25mg

1/16 of 2mg tablet = .125mg

1/32 of 2mg tablet = .0625mg

**CALCULATIONS ARE ROUNDED OFF**

Am                  Pm              Total                             

Dose              Dose              Dose                             

Start Dose                                                  1mg                1mg              2.0mg           

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 1 - 2

10% of 2mg = .20mg;

2mg - .20mg = 1.80mg                                  Am                Pm                  Total                                           

Cut Tablets                                                  Dose              Dose                Dose                             

.50mg +.25mg + .125mg = .875mg            .88mg            .88mg              1.76mg

1/4    +    1/8  +  1/16  of 2mg tab

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 3 - 4                                                        

10% of 1.80mg = .180mg

1.80 - .180 =  1.62mg                                  Am                Pm                  Total                                                                           

Cut Tablets                                                  Dose            Dose                Dose                             

.50mg + .25mg + .0625mg = .813mg        .81mg          .81mg              1.62mg

1/4    +  1/8 +  1/32  of 2mg tab

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 5 - 6                                                                                               

10% of 1.62mg = .162mg                                                                           

1.62mg - .162mg =  1.46mg                          Am                  Pm                  Total                             

Cut Tablets                                                    Dose              Dose                Dose                             

.50mg + .25mg = .75mg                              .75mg            .75mg              1.50mg

1/4  +  1/8  of 2mg tab

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 7 - 8                                                                                                   

10% of 1.46mg = .146mg                                                                             

1.46mg - .146mg = 1.31mg                          Am                  Pm                  Total                             

Cut Tablets                                                  Dose              Dose                Dose                             

.50mg + .125mg + .0625mg = .69mg          .69mg            .69mg              1.38mg

1/4      +  1/8      +  1/32  of 2mg tab

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 9 - 10                                                                                                 

10% of 1.31mg = .131mg

1.31mg - .131mg = 1.18mg                            Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                       

Cut Tablets                                                  Dose                Dose                Dose                             

.50mg +  .0625 =  .56mg                              .56mg              .56mg            1.12mg

1/4      +    1/32  of 2mg tab

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 11 - 12                                                                                         

10% of 1. 18mg = .18m

1.18mg - .118mg = 1.06mg                            Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                       

Cut Tablets                                                  Dose                Dose                Dose                             

.50                                                                .50mg              .50mg                1mg 

1/4      of 2mg tab                                       

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 13 - 14                                                                                                       

10% of 1.06mg = .11mg

1.06mg - .11mg = .95mg                                Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                           

Cut Tablets                                                    Dose                Dose                Dose                                                               

.50mg                                                            .50mg              .50mg              .95mg 

1/4    of 2mg tab                                         

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 15 - 16

10% of .95mg = .09mg

.95mg - .09mg =  .86mg                                  Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                             

Cut Tablets                                                    Dose                Dose              Dose                               

.25mg + .125mg + .0625 = .44mg                .44mg              .44mg              .88mg

1/8    +    1/16      +  1/32  of 2mg tab         

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 17 - 18

10% of .86mg = .086mg

.86mg - .09mg = .77mg                                    Am                  Pm                Total                                                                                           

Cut Tablets                                                      Dose                Dose                Dose                               

.25mg + .125mg = .38mg                                .38mg              .38mg              .76mg

1/8mg  +    1/16mg  of 2mg                         

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 19 - 20

10% of .77mg = .08mg

.77mg - .08mg = .69mg                                    Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                             

Cut Tablets                                                      Dose                Dose                Dose                                                                         

.25mg  +  .125 mg = .38mg                            .38mg              .38mg            .76mg                                               

1/8mg  + 1/16mg  of 2mg                                                                                                                                                           

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 21 - 22

10% of .69mg = .07mg

.69mg - .07mg = .62mg                                    Am                  Pm                Total                                                                                               

Cut Tablets                                                      Dose                Dose              Dose                             

.25mg  + .0625mg = .31mg                            .31mg              .31mg            .62mg

1/8mg  +  1/32  of 2mg                                                                                                                         

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 23 - 24

10% of .62mg = .06mg

.62mg - .06mg = .56mg                                  Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                 

.25mg + .0625 mg = .31mg                          .31mg              .31mg            .62mg

1/8mg + 1/32  of 2mg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 24 - 25

10% of .56mg = .06mg                                                                                     

.56mg - .06mg = .50mg                                    Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                 

.25mg                                                          .25mg              .25mg              .50mg

1/8  of 2mg                                                                         

===============================================================

AT THIS POINT ASHTON RECOMMENDS BEING DONE. DRUG LOOSES  THERAPEUTIC VALUE

===============================================================

Week 26 - 27

10% of .50mg = .05mg                                                                                     

.50mg - .05mg = .45mg                                    Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                 

.125mg                                                        .125mg            .125mg            .25mg

1/16  of 2mg                                                                         

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 28 - 29

10% of .45mg = .05mg                                                                                     

.45mg - .05mg = .40mg                                    Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                 

.0625mg                                                      .063mg            .063mg            .125mg

1/32  of 2mg                                                                         

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 29 - 30

10% of .40mg = .04mg                                                                                     

.40mg - .04mg = .36mg                                    Am                  Pm                  Total                                                                                                 

.03mg                                                            .03mg              .03mg              .06mg

1/64  of 2mg                                                                         

DONE                                                                                                                     

Bella Emis I want to the Doctor this morning and showed him all the plans you sent me concerning tapering.  He was very impressed by your ability to put all these plans together for patients that have to taper from a benzo.  He wants me to stabilize first and then see what plan is best for me.

Take Care,  Tina

Hi there Tina!

I am glad that he is willing to work with you on a solid tapering plan. This is wonderful news! Yes, stabilize first then you will be fit to go!  :thumbsup: