Live Alone

[Fi...]

For those that live alone.  What do you do for distraction, and self care? 

Suggestions that might help other’s going through this journey....

F4M

I live alone F4M and am so demotivated can hardly do much other than stare at the TV.  I don't absorb the content very well, just sorta stare. 

I do try to go out into my little garden and tend a plant or two but even find that difficult as agoraphobia lurks. Never had that before.  I make myself do it! 

The house is a mess and have no inclination to clean wherea before (oh, before!) I liked a clean house. I'll try to do some today as it's pretty bad. 

Not giving you too many suggestions here F4M I have the same problem. 

I can't draw or paint but I do (did) like to splash colour around.  I have some el-cheapo watercolours and was thinking about trying to give it a splash.  Might be fun and worth a try, just to get lost in the colour.  I'll call my first work, BEFORE.

What do you do? 

Much love

Dee xxx

F4M

I don’t feel like I live alone, cause I have my Kitty. Maybe it would make sense to get yourself a pet. Although taking care of a pet requires much effort. But it’s worth any effort under the sun, IMO. She helps me so much in BDZ WD. No words can describe it. The love my Kitty gives me is unconditional.

I live alone F4M and am so demotivated can hardly do much other than stare at the TV.  I don't absorb the content very well, just sorta stare. 

I do try to go out into my little garden and tend a plant or two but even find that difficult as agoraphobia lurks. Never had that before.  I make myself do it! 

The house is a mess and have no inclination to clean wherea before (oh, before!) I liked a clean house. I'll try to do some today as it's pretty bad. 

Not giving you too many suggestions here F4M I have the same problem. 

I can't draw or paint but I do (did) like to splash colour around.  I have some el-cheapo watercolours and was thinking about trying to give it a splash.  Might be fun and worth a try, just to get lost in the colour.  I'll call my first work, BEFORE.

What do you do? 

Much love

Dee xxx

Dee,

I planted the whole yard last year, when I was able to drive.  I used to listen to music. 

I don’t go out anymore because my brain doesn’t feel right.  I don’t feel calm enough to enjoy the things I used to.  I’m too unstable to walk.  I feel so disconnected from everything and everyone. 

That’s why I was asking what people do that live alone.

Are you able to drive?

F4M

I don’t feel like I live alone, cause I have my Kitty. Maybe it would make sense to get yourself a pet. Although taking care of a pet requires much effort. But it’s worth any effort under the sun, IMO. She helps me so much in BDZ WD. No words can describe it. The love my Kitty gives me is unconditional.

Estee,

I love cats.  I’m so happy you get so much love and companionship from your Kitty.  We could all use some of that!    It’s so very important!!!!

Fighting4Me - why don’t you get yourself a feline companion if you love cats? Mine just wants me to leave my iPad and take care of her. Started her meowing concert. I will probably do as she pleases. If you have problems with sleep, you could get yourself a gentle, calm cat. My Kitty sleeps next to my head and snores into my ear. Must wear earplugs. But she has more sleep-inducing and anti-anxiety properties than any benzo.

What she said! I'm a "cat person" too and for me they are low maintenance, antidepressants. I also have my recording studio so that can be as time consuming and involved as I want it to be. But for me it's more than a hobby - just have yet to really be able to put 100% into it because with this lousy Benzo thing, I cannot. Of course music is just one example of something that can be a creative outlet - just on my own or whatever. Other ideas might be reading, gardening, painting, writing . . . etc.

What she said! I'm a "cat person" too and for me they are low maintenance, antidepressants. I also have my recording studio so that can be as time consuming and involved as I want it to be. But for me it's more than a hobby - just have yet to really be able to put 100% into it because with this lousy Benzo thing, I cannot. Of course music is just one example of something that can be a creative outlet - just on my own or whatever. Other ideas might be reading, gardening, painting, writing . . . etc.

Catt02,

Recording studio, that’s nice!!!  I’ve always wanted to work in the music industry help with the creative process.  I would love a cat, but I’m barely taking care of myself at the moment.  I grew up with cats and they are a great antidepressant.

If things could calm down by 500 notches, there are so many things that I would love to do.  Distracting right now is not happening.

Great Suggestions!

I do not live alone, but my husband works so much that I feel like I do. I have the TV on and use the computer. Check e-mails, read news articles, etc... I go on walks. I have a dog and that really helps.

I don't currently live alone, but I am no stranger to being alone for long periods. I'm one of those odd ducks that doesn't mind being alone and living very remote. I would offer the following tips, which may or may not help.

-Beware of incessant TV, especially cable news shows. News, politics, (the insane combination of both) and constant live tragic events being delivered into your head all day can really trigger some health issues. (Anxiety, Insomnia, anger, etc)

-Stay away from arguing, especially about politics, on Facebook or message boards. It's pointless, and you only strengthen the beliefs in the person you're arguing with.

-Find a good ambient or "atmosphere" music channel on the Internet. I stream "Groove Salad" or "Drone Zone" from www.somafm.com almost constantly.

-Most importantly, create a schedule for yourself. You'll be amazed how much you'll accomplish and how better you'll feel following it. Plan one day in advance. Literally sit down, get a TV guide, a list of task you enjoy, and a list of things you need to do such as household choirs, and write your schedule.

8AM Wake up, stretch, personal hygiene

9AM Breakfast

9:30 to 10 - TV program

10:00 Plan Lunch

10:15 Go outside

10:30 Clean kitchen sink

10:45 Take out trash

11:00 Fix Lunch - Eat slow, enjoy it.

11:45 Listen to music, think about childhood days.

etc, etc, etc.

Try to not allow yourself to languish in one area, or on one task too long. I know it seems silly, but I know it can help many people. Good luck.

Try Tinder and Netflix (or both at once)

Love It!!!

I’m semi serious though. I watched The Office on Netflix for days for a good laugh and we all know sex is a great way to pass time.

Try Tinder and Netflix (or both at once)

Love It!!!

I’m semi serious though. I watched The Office on Netflix for days for a good laugh and we all know sex is a great way to pass time.

Love the Office.....    sex......that’s not on the menu here, unfortunately.