Quit cold turkey - didn’t know I was dependent! Now having problems

[om...]

Approximately one year ago, a doctor prescribed me both Xanax and Klonopin for sleeping (0.5 mg). I was having a lot of stress, and I would wake up in the middle the night at three or four in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I didn't ever use both of the medications together, I mainly used the Xanax. It wasn't every night, but I would say it increased to where it was probably four or five nights of the week. It was definitely more nights than not.

This went on for maybe a month, then I quit cold turkey. Didn't think that I had any side effects. Visited friends and family, only used the benzo’s occasionally for those times when I did wake up in the morning. Three to four times a month, maybe. But then when I came home, back came the stress, and back came the benzo‘s. The second duration was closer to about five months. Same exact situation, same exact frequency And in my mind I didn't think I was dependent. So I quit cold turkey, and immediately experienced a lot of symptoms.

The first major symptom I noticed was the fatigue! I was so tired I was sleeping 12 hours a night, and falling asleep during the day. It was so bad that I actually thought I might have narcolepsy. I also had headaches, gastrointestinal problems like nausea, and then after a few weeks the worst of all symptoms appeared: this electric shock like feeling as I'm trying to fall asleep. Just as I'm starting to drift off, it feels like all the sudden I'm being electrocuted in my nervous system and I have to Jolt about a bed and stand up! It's the most horrifying feeling I've ever felt. I actually went to the cardiologist to have a full heart check up because I was convinced I was either almost having a heart attack or seizure :-\

Once I realized why all the symptoms were happening, I immediately went back on the benzo‘s. I figured I could do myself even more damage, potentially have seizures, etc. if I did not do a proper taper like it's been so well documented. I just never thought I was addicted! I never thought my body was dependent. Boy, how wrong I was!  :-\ So now, I'm back on the 0.5 mg dose But it just doesn't seem to be cutting it! I hear this is common, you have to go up in dosage when you return to them. But I don't want to be on them at all! So I refuse to go up in dosage.

I never increased past the one pill of 0.5 mg. In the past, that always seem to do the trick. And I refuse to go up at all, because I want to go down and off of these devil pills! I am still getting nausea and stomach problems (benzo belly) and the most prominent symptom is I'm still getting the electric shock feelings when I'm trying to go to sleep :'( The one pill doesn't put me to sleep anymore.  Lately I have been using gabapentin to help with this, and I will admit it really does help! It's the only thing I found that does help. I can get to sleep with it, it seems to “turn down the volume” on that overexcited / electrified nervous system feeling.

But what I really want to know is how to get off of these things! I know I need to taper, but I'm scared because I'm having symptoms even though I'm at the same dose. Since I am already feeling terrible at this dose, I thought I would “man up” and try to just go down 50% to 0.25 Mg... Big mistake! Worst electric shock feelings ever, could not deal with it at all. Went back up to 0.5 mg immediately. Dr. of course informed me that I should be able to go down to half a tablet without any problems.

I feel so terrible & I'm scared that I've done so much damage on my nervous system that I will never feel OK again! What should I do? Begin a very slow taper? I am looking at doing the liquid titration, it seems like maybe the most gentle way. Is there anything else I need to keep in mind in this situation of having quit cold turkey and then come back to them? I would estimate that I did not take them for approximately three weeks before returning.

One last thing I will add, someone mentioned somewhere about the kindling effect, where repeated stopping of benzos or alcohol produce worse and worse withdrawl symptoms. I remembered I took Xanax for about 2 months for the same problem about 10 years ago. Just wondering if that might play in here, on top of these two times.

Please advise! And sorry for such a long post! Just wanted to share all the details :) Thank you!  :smitten:

how long ago was this reinstatement to 0.5mg ?  unfortunately you may be in a place where it's just not going to work so your only choice is to go higher and taper or accept that you are now officially in withdrawal and its going to be a rough few weeks / months...... 

how long ago was this reinstatement to 0.5mg ?  unfortunately you may be in a place where it's just not going to work so your only choice is to go higher and taper or accept that you are now officially in withdrawal and its going to be a rough few weeks / months......

I would say the reinstatement to 0.5 mg was approximately 2 weeks ago. I most definitely am experiencing withdrawl symptoms, and it’s already been a rough couple of weeks! Honestly I wondered if I should go higher then taper from there… But that just sounds like extending the horror! I just want all of this nightmare to be over with…

One question I have been meaning to ask in the cold turkey/rapid detox session section is: is it possible to have a more rapid detox with the aid of gabapentin? I read a clinical trial where they were able to get a woman off of a high dose of benzodiazepines within something like a week with adding Gabapentin and increasing dosage as symptoms increased. They also used Ambien for sleep. Supposedly successful, but I’m scared to try that! :(

i don't think there is any smooth ride off a benzo...... ambien is a z drug so - no better than a benzo - ambien  - in particular - has a lot of side effects - i wouldnt go that path.  gabapentin will just be one more med to have to taper off of but i imagine it provides some relief - likely would need pretty high doses to try to counter act the pretty rough stuff that comes with benzo withdrawal. 

Hi there SSR1975! :) I actually just read your success story and replied to it! Your story was inspiring and all the info you shared was so helpful! :smitten: Thank you for your response to my post here. I remember trying Ambien years ago and not liking how it made me feel. Definitely a lot of side effects associated w that one! :(

Gabapentin definitely helps with the withdrawals! So far have only needed to use 300 mg, but i don’t think I’m nearly into the worst of it. In the Dr studies they talk about using 600 mg, 900 mg, even 1200 mg. What I wonder is, is it potentially more damaging to the brain/body to get off benzos more quickly with the aid of gabapentin? It seems people have a lot of problems even after slow tapers. Seems like a great question for a... Medical professional! Too bad they are all clueless about all this. Funny how Drs hand these drugs out like candy, but when it’s time to get off of them? You’re on your own! :(

You guys should google Gabaorntin withdrawal - you’ll flush those pills immediately

HOLY CRAP!  :o  :'( I just googled it... SCREW THAT CRAP! That sounds like hell on earth. These things messed people up BAD! :(

I have officially STOPPED taking it, as of last night. All i took was 5 pills total. But i swear I feel newly manifested symptoms today after stopping it! Strange nerve pain and sensations in my legs and feet that I've never felt. Could just be the benzos but I really think its related to the Gabapentin! :(

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/gabapentin-withdrawal-horror-613253

"I feel that these pills ruined my life."

"Never had any real issues with my mind and always bounced back from other drugs in my past. But now I feel down every day"

"I went off morphine ER and percocet before I discontinued the gabapentin.  Going off gabapentin was 50 times more difficult."

i think after experiencing benzo withdrawal many people will question ever taking any kind of med that hits the CNS.  only after experiencing this did i realize a very serious illness i had 6 yrs ago was from withdrawal from an anti depressant - thank god that only lasted 3 months - but the point is many people just do not do well with these meds.  others swear by the benefits.  it's really an individual choice but for me - i will never touch anything that hits the CNS again - other than anesthesia that may be needed for any procedures.  i am very fortunate that I always chose counseling to get through most of my challenges and it was the skills i learned from counseling that got me through benzo withdrawal.  the brain is a very powerful tool - the tough part is that it goes off the rails in benzo withdrawal but the more you can try to reign it in and work on the valuable techniques you can learn in counseling - the more you will be able to over come this.  nothing will make those neurotransmitter receptors return any faster than they will - so - there will be weeks/months of suffering - but there are many things that can be done to give the body and brain the best chance at healing quickly.

good luck.  i had tried gabapentin once i knew about the severity of my neck issues and it did provide temporary relief but i developed tolerance quickly and wasnt willing to take more - so - went through a withdrawal from that - thankfully nothing to the extreme of benzo withdrawal

i also tried ambien for a short period of time for the insomnia and found i was buying things on line or from informercials during the night that i had no recollection of doing - i posted comments on Facebook i had no recollection of, etc,. scary stuff.....

best to leave the brain alone and allow it to heal itself - then enjoy a really great life!

i think after experiencing benzo withdrawal many people will question ever taking any kind of med that hits the CNS.  only after experiencing this did i realize a very serious illness i had 6 yrs ago was from withdrawal from an anti depressant - thank god that only lasted 3 months - but the point is many people just do not do well with these meds.  others swear by the benefits.  it's really an individual choice but for me - i will never touch anything that hits the CNS again - other than anesthesia that may be needed for any procedures.  i am very fortunate that I always chose counseling to get through most of my challenges and it was the skills i learned from counseling that got me through benzo withdrawal.  the brain is a very powerful tool - the tough part is that it goes off the rails in benzo withdrawal but the more you can try to reign it in and work on the valuable techniques you can learn in counseling - the more you will be able to over come this.  nothing will make those neurotransmitter receptors return any faster than they will - so - there will be weeks/months of suffering - but there are many things that can be done to give the body and brain the best chance at healing quickly.

good luck.  i had tried gabapentin once i knew about the severity of my neck issues and it did provide temporary relief but i developed tolerance quickly and wasnt willing to take more - so - went through a withdrawal from that - thankfully nothing to the extreme of benzo withdrawal

i also tried ambien for a short period of time for the insomnia and found i was buying things on line or from informercials during the night that i had no recollection of doing - i posted comments on Facebook i had no recollection of, etc,. scary stuff.....

best to leave the brain alone and allow it to heal itself - then enjoy a really great life!

Wow, your situation sounds very similar to my own! I had a mystery illness years ago that made my life hell for years. Attributed it to a parasite infection, turns out: benzos! Took me a LONG time to recover, as I had no idea what I was dealing with.

And yes, I completely hear you on not touching any drugs that touch the CNS! I know the gabapentin definitely effects that, and considering how much hell even the beginnings of benzo withdrawl is, I don't want to mess with ANYTHING that could produce similar symptoms in any way.

I do think understanding whats going on in the brain, and that it takes time to heal is HUGE! I have had multiple episodes of this in my life, and never ever understood what was going on until recently. It helps vs just thinking your body / brain are deteriorating and you have no clue why. At one point I was terrified that I actually had MS! Because I KNEW something was up with my nervous system, just couldn't figure out what. NOW I KNOW, and i feel a lot better for knowing.

I have heard similar stories about Ambien. There was one in the news where a lady actually drove 2 hours to her sister's house! And didn't remember a thing. Scary stuff!! :o I agree that keeping the brain chemical free is definitely the way to be. Let it heal on it's own, without throwing other potentially disastrous things into the mix!

Should I be scared that I am getting worse, not better? Ive been trying to stabilize for 2 weeks on this dose since reinstating, but it seems just more and more symptoms and food sensitivities come. Part of me wonders if I should have reinstated at all! :-[ But i guess i could have done more damage had I not reinstated?

Also, thanks for the support and words of encouragement! :angel: I can't wait to get back to the enjoying a great life part :)