How much Remeron to take?

[Ju...]

I have read on this site that Remeron does aid with benzo withdrawal.

I would like to take the lowest effective amount.  I will be talking with my doctor next week.

What dosage seems appropriate?

They only go as low as 7.5 and I break one of those in half. You need to get the oblong and not round ones to do that. I've been on the 3.75 all through my taper and since.

Keep it low. I had a bad rebound coming off 30 mg one time. It's a hard kick.

It will help you sleep, and make you hungry. When I stopped I was sleepless, nauseous and dysphoric. It works both ways as far as I see it.

Good luck

Thank you for your responses.  I think that I will avoid the Remeron.  I do find that a minimal amount of magnesium (no more than 320 mg. per day) does help me with withdrawal symptoms, takes away the misery, even when I take just a quarter of a 250 mg. tablet.

For me Remeron was as hard to get off of as a benzo (I was on the lowest dose -- 7.5). Maybe even harder, because I had to CT due to life threatening side effects. I ended up in a hospital for 9 days after attempting to stop Remeron. I suffered greatly through benzo withdrawal, but didn't end up being hospitalized (knock on wood, I'm stil only 3 months out).

My opinion is to not add any new meds to the mix. Our brains are trying to heal and normalize. That will not happen if we keep adding more poisons to the mix. Leave the poor injured brain be.

[38...]
I've been on it 4.5 years, I started at 7.5 mg.  It really helped with sleep but made me crave carbs and gain weight.  I'm down to 3.75 mg., it does zero for my sleep now but I can't get off of it without withdrawal effects and right now I'm trying to wean myself off gabapentin....really wish I'd never started these drugs.

Oh yeah, I gained 30 pounds on Remeron and kept gaining. According to my doctor's records I was gaining 1.25 pounds each month, then 1.6 pounds each month.

I appreciate these responses.  Earlier the comments on this web site had been favorable for Remeron.  I am using 250 mg. of magnesium and one-half of a 25-mg. tablet of Benadryl for sleep.  It is working, and I feel I must have dodged a bullet in coming to you for advice.

I was on various dossages but I think 30mg was the best for sleep. I don't think it helped my anxiety. At the time I was also taking Effexor and 2mg of Lorazapam every two days. There was a time I was doing OK but taking the 2mg lorazapam I slowly hit tollerance and every day was filled with Anxiety. I didn't know it at the time so I decided to drop the Remeron. This didn't seem to hurt my sleep but I didn't get any better. Eventually through BB's I realized that it was the Lorazapam.

Today I'm 6 months off Benzos and currently taking Effexor and Trazedone. The Trazedone is for sleep. I get to sleep immediately at night but I'm having a hard time saying asleep. I think Remeron was better but I dodn't want to go back on it. I'm hoping my sleep starts going back to normal and I can get off the Trazedone.

We're all different so I don't know if Remeron will help with Benzo wthdrawals. I dodn't think it helped my anxiety when I was on it.