Ativan taper

[an...]

Hello everyone,

Due to circumstance,

I've been taking 1 mg of sublingual Ativan nightly (three nights in a row). I would very soon like to switch over to Klonopin so I can start tapering however I'm not sure what the correct equivalent would be.

Please help.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [an...]

• [Be...]

• [Th...]

• [gl...]

Also I would't start taking Klonopin, its a benzo just like Ativan and Xanax.  Dont know why you need K. but I would run away from any of this meds as far as you can.

G. :-\

The Picard,

I took 0.5 mg of Ativan last Thursday then 1 mg this past Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Maybe I don't need to taper after all?

If you only took Ativan 4 times, total, then I think a taper is unnecessary. You might notice some symptoms for a few days, but if you start a daily taper, you'll become dependent. And I doubt you are already dependent from only 4 doses.

Hello everyone,

Since my last post, I have taken 0.5 mg of Ativan five times. Last night I didn't take anything and this morning I felt quite an anxious rush.

Should I consider tapering at this point rather than just stopping abruptly?

Hello anona-

So you have only taken the Ativan .5mg 5 times in 8 days with just a rush of anxiety? Well maybe try skipping 2 days then 3 days etc. & see if you can cope with any symptoms that may arise. The majority of people that withdrawal from benzo do not have any major issues & recover quickly.  We do not ever recommend CT due to seizure possibilities, however rapid tapers for short term users are very common. You mentioned you were on a benzo previously. How long have you been on the benzo this time? How did that first withdrawal go?

Hi Bella Amis,

I had two Ativan prescriptions. The first prescription had 10 sublingual tablets--I took nine of of them in the span of approximately a week to a week and a half. My second prescription, I had 20 tablets prescribed and only took five of them between February 10th and February 15th.

Today I decided to cross-over to Klonopin (0.25 mg) due to its longer half-life. I'm not sure whether this is a good decision or not. Should I just stay on Ativan and taper off directly? Please help.

The last time I was on a benzo was from 2010 until September 2012. I started with Ativan, crossed-over to Klonopin and tapered off successfully. It was a long, drawn-out taper but I managed.

I should also mention that I'm on Paxil (updosed from 15 mg to 17.5 mg on February 1st and most likely will be updosing to 20 mg).

Hi Bella Amis,

I had two Ativan prescriptions. The first prescription had 10 sublingual tablets--I took nine of of them in the span of approximately a week to a week and a half. My second prescription, I had 20 tablets prescribed and only took five of them between February 10th and February 15th.

Today I decided to cross-over to Klonopin (0.25 mg) due to its longer half-life. I'm not sure whether this is a good decision or not. Should I just stay on Ativan and taper off directly? Please help.

The last time I was on a benzo was from 2010 until September 2012. I started with Ativan, crossed-over to Klonopin and tapered off successfully. It was a long, drawn-out taper but I managed.

I should also mention that I'm on Paxil (updosed from 15 mg to 17.5 mg on February 1st and most likely will be updosing to 20 mg).

Hi anona-

If you struggle the last time you taperd then I would stick with the plan you have decided on. You intuitively made that choice for a reason. I would go with my gut instincts,  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply, Bella Amis.

I have another question: If someone is using a benzo for one month, would this person still have to taper off the medication?

Hi anona-

1mg of sublingual Ativan is the equivalent to 10mg of V or .5mg of K. Not really an insignificant dose. If I were in your shoes I would do a rapid taper reducing every 7 days & be done. You said you decided to crossover to .5mg of K

So split .5mg tablet into 4 - .125 pcs

Week

1 - .5mg 

2 - .375mg

3 - .25mg

4 - .125mg

Done

Hi anona,

I have a different opinion from Bella's. In you case, if I'd taken the ativan for only 4 weeks, I would C/T rather than taper it off. In terms of healing the CNS, I don't see much difference between a very rapid taper of one month and a C/T. And four weeks is close to the limit of what is usually considered "safe" in terms of addiction, but if you taper you'll be on the benzo for 8 weeks which is clearly above that limit. I would also not change to K, for similar reasons. I would prefer to risk having some withdrawal symptoms than to aggravate an addiction.

Wishing you the best, magnesi

Bella Amis,

Should I taper 10% of the dose every 7 days?

Hi anona-

1mg of sublingual Ativan is the equivalent to 10mg of V or .5mg of K. Not really an insignificant dose. If I were in your shoes I would do a rapid taper reducing every 7 days & be done. You said you decided to crossover to .5mg of K

Week

1 - .5mg 

2 - .375mg

3 - .25mg

4 - .125mg

Done

Thank you for your input, magnesia however I don't feel comfortable C/Ting this kind of medication.

Hi anona,

I have a different opinion from Bella's. In you case, if I'd taken the ativan for only 4 weeks, I would C/T rather than taper it off. In terms of healing the CNS, I don't see much difference between a very rapid taper of one month and a C/T. And four weeks is close to the limit of what is usually considered "safe" in terms of addiction, but if you taper you'll be on the benzo for 8 weeks which is clearly above that limit. I would also not change to K, for similar reasons. I would prefer to risk having some withdrawal symptoms than to aggravate an addiction.

Wishing you the best, magnesi

Bella Amis,

Hi anona-

Week

1 - .5mg 

2 - .375mg

3 - .25mg

4 - .125mg

Done

You could do 10% but that would really be dragging the process on and may be counter productive as well..

There is actually a few ways to reduce 10%. The first way generally recommended is by taking 10% of your initial dose (10% of .5mg= .05) Then drop this amount every 14 days. So this way from .5mg it would take 4.6 months to complete a taper. The other way is to take 10% reduction of current dose  every 14 days. Using this method, one may take 1 year or so to taper from .5mg of K.  This method is generally used by long term users and/or who are struggling with unbearable symptoms.

Ultimately, it is up to you how you want to proceed. Consider the options carefully. You really do not want to be on this class of medication any longer than absolutely necessary.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with however you choose to go!

Bella Amis,

Hi anona-

Week

1 - .5mg 

2 - .375mg

3 - .25mg

4 - .125mg

Done

You could do 10% but that would really be dragging the process on and may be counter productive as well..

There is actually a few ways to reduce 10%. The first way generally recommended is by taking 10% of your initial dose (10% of .5mg= .05) Then drop this amount every 14 days. So this way from .5mg it would take 4.6 months to complete a taper. The other way is to take 10% reduction of current dose  every 14 days. Using this method, one may take 1 year or so to taper from .5mg of K.  This method is generally used by long term users and/or who are struggling with unbearable symptoms.

Ultimately, it is up to you how you want to proceed. Consider the options carefully. You really do not want to be on this class of medication any longer than absolutely necessary.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with however you choose to go!

Thank you, Bella Amis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello BB,

I've decided to go forward with tapering from Ativan. Currently I'm at 0.5625 mg and plan on making a 10% cut this coming week.

I need help with calculations and cutting.  :o  :-\

Right now I'm taking one 0.5 mg tablet plus 1/8th of a 0.5 mg tablet which is 0.0625 mg.

Hello BB,

I've decided to go forward with tapering from Ativan. Currently I'm at 0.5625 mg and plan on making a 10% cut this coming week.

I need help with calculations and cutting.  :o  :-\

Right now I'm taking one 0.5 mg tablet plus 1/8th of a 0.5 mg tablet which is 0.0625 mg.

Hello anona-

Here is a Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk why not give this a try. If you need more help, just give a shout out!

Hi Bella,

That schedule seems to be for a liquid taper? I'm doing a dry cut taper.

Oh ok here is another program that should work for creating a Dry Cut Taper Schedule

I tried this program both on the Safari and Chrome web browsers but neither of them work.  :'( I plug in the information and nothing comes up. :(

....I should say, it does give me a calendar (I had to scroll wayyyyy down) however it's based on 1 mg and not 0.5625. :-/

Please help.